Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spraying outside when it's damp after rain

I'm currently working on two models. One body is ready for color and the other needs primer coat #2. It's been raining / snowing here for the last three days but it has finally stopped! :) I spray outside on my balcony with an airbrush and Tamiya paint / primer. My question is will the dampness in the air effect the way the paint and primer take? The temperature is currently 0.

0degC or 0degF ?

IF your car body, paint and airbrush are warm, you might dash outside and spray, then dash back inside to let it flash.

Seriously, in general probably not a good idea. The air really needs to be relatively dry and warm to allow your coating materials to perform properly. IF you were shooting catalyzed materials with a polar hardener you might be okay down to 45 or 50F, but it's just not a good idea with anything, especially air-dry materials, to try to paint in cold, humid conditions.

Unless you really want to do it over again in nice weather.

MVC001F-vi.jpg

Sounds like you need to build yourself a little spray booth. The above one has served me over 20 years. It's a 24" plastic recycling bin with a bathroom fan mounted in the back, and two lights attached to it. Everything is plugged into the same power strip so I just flip a switch to turn it on. I toss the hose out the window and paint in any weather! In fact I think that's snow on the roof outside the window in that picture.

Just don't-have the discipline to wait for less humidity and some better temp. I have primed indoors at 55F and brought into the house immediately at 70F. But for a solid color job-just wait. Or you'll decide to do it again after stripping. A waste.