Model Cars Magazine Forum

The great one died 19 yrs ago today.

Thanks Rob, it was posted to remember a great driver and great human being. One million people cared and attended his funeral.

Next year is going to be huge... can't believe it's been almost 20 years. There have been lots of tributes and photos posted on the various Facebook Senna fan pages today.

I really wish I would have been alive to see him drive, but based on what I have seen he was an incredible driver. This video really does his skill justice, absolutely unbelievable.

He knows that, Harry...he thinks he's being clever, or ironic. *cough*

Before CImmaronPat gets this one closed, too...

I also have not been able to get enthused about F1 racing since Senna died. I sat there at home like so many others, completely stunned, while they worked to get him out of his race car. Senna is an amazing documentary and if you've never watched it, you're truly missing something special. I hope to god that they never follow through on the threats of making a Senna movie...there's no way to capture his story as well as the real deal.

And yes, turn it up loud. Really loud.

Although I've never been a fan of open wheel car type racing. But I am a fan of Senna, the man had style , grace and huge talent. The racing commnnity lost a force to be reckoned with and the world lost someone actually worthy of being idolized.

I've seen parts of the documentary but at some point will get it and watch the whole thing.

Guest G Holding

This is for A few who just don't get it......

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ayrton+Senna#

About 17,200,000 results (0.27 seconds)

But a lot more do.....

Yeah Josh, your wrong, take time to learn how good he really was.

"Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus"

Edited by G Holding

Well as much as I care about Wally Nelson.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this guy the one who hit the wall or something at the autobahn? I was 10 at the time I remember some things, but I also wasn't real big into cars at that point.

There are no words, so here's a Cosby gif...

cosby-facepalm.gif

Guest Johnny

Comparing Senna to Earnhardt is apples to oranges

just my 2cents

Your right! Senna only drove how many races a year???

Great driver in his own right just as was Earnhardt!

So no, not apples and oranges, just two different types of racing and race cars. But both great drivers!

Your right! Senna only drove how many races a year???

Great driver in his own right just as was Earnhardt!

So no, not apples and oranges, just two different types of racing and race cars. But both great drivers!

Quite true. It takes an entirely different set of skills to drive in NASCAR vs. Formula 1 open-wheel racing. Both are great. And as a NASCAR driver who has just received an Indycar ride said earlier today on TV, the skills don't really translate immediately between different formats like NASCAR, F1, Indycar, etc. He said it takes experience and the intuition you learn. I think those different skills can be understood when you look at the F1 Monaco route and Daytona. Personally, I think it takes more skill to deal with the hairpins, switchbacks, etc. in F1, but NASCAR and Indycar are far more lethal.

post-4455-0-95182100-1367704726_thumb.pn post-4455-0-03594000-1367704882_thumb.pn

Quite true. It takes an entirely different set of skills to drive in NASCAR vs. Formula 1 open-wheel racing.

Which is exactly why comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, like Bill said.

Gotta remember too, that at the time Senna was probably one of the 5 most famous people on the entire planet. Senna's grave attracts more visitors a year than the graves of John F Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley combined.

Comparing the death of Senna to the death of Dale Earnhardt I would say is, to me, like comparing the death of Richie Evans to the death of Earnhardt.

I grew up in Martinsville, VA, Richie Evans was a legendary Modified Driver who died in a crash at Martinsville Speedway. Everybody in Martinsville knew who Richie Evans was and remembers that event, but I doubt very many people outside of Martinsville or those that follow Modified racing have ever heard of him.

Inside of the US, everybody knew who Dale Earnhardt was and remembers that event, but I doubt that many people outside of the US had ever heard of Dale Earnhardt.

Outside of the US, everybody knew who Ayrton Senna was and remembers that event.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Guest G Holding

Quite true. It takes an entirely different set of skills to drive in NASCAR vs. Formula 1 open-wheel racing. Both are great. And as a NASCAR driver who has just received an Indycar ride said earlier today on TV, the skills don't really translate immediately between different formats like NASCAR, F1, Indycar, etc. He said it takes experience and the intuition you learn. I think those different skills can be understood when you look at the F1 Monaco route and Daytona. Personally, I think it takes more skill to deal with the hairpins, switchbacks, etc. in F1, but NASCAR and Indycar are far more lethal.

Yes the road tracks are a lot more challenging for both driver and car, but several QUALITY drivers from other venues CHAMPIONS in other prof ranks have failed big time in NASCAR. I think of Steve Kinser or Dick Trickle to pick on 2.

Kinser a WOO superstar dirt driver champion 14 times ?? Dick Trickle...short track late models, dirt and pavement 1000 wins....BUT both these guys stunk in NASCAR, even though both had roundy round racing backgrounds. Why, well big league NASCAR is long and fast races , high pressure driving in traffic with a pack of closely matched cars...ALL quite fast and these are the best drivers.

who is better...Apples, Oranges, and a cornucopia of others...ALL different, so head out to your favorite track and see what YOU like!!

I gotta run now to watch the NHRA rerun of qualifying! B):lol:

Guest G Holding

Gotta remember too, that at the time Senna was probably one of the 5 most famous people on the entire planet. Senna's grave attracts more visitors a year than the graves of John F Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley combined.

Comparing the death of Senna to the death of Dale Earnhardt I would say is, to me, like comparing the death of Richie Evans to the death of Earnhardt.

I grew up in Martinsville, VA, Richie Evans was a legendary Modified Driver who died in a crash at Martinsville Speedway. Everybody in Martinsville knew who Richie Evans was and remembers that event, but I doubt very many people outside of Martinsville or those that follow Modified racing have ever heard of him.

Inside of the US, everybody knew who Dale Earnhardt was and remembers that event, but I doubt that many people outside of the US had ever heard of Dale Earnhardt.

Outside of the US, everybody knew who Ayrton Senna was and remembers that event.

I remember all 3.....All the best in their class,and all gone too young.

I just have loved racing for years, I can think of hundreds of winning racers, but those three exemplify a unique style of winning.

I can also think of many dead racers, who loved the sport. That said Ayrton Senna had a special place in the hearts of so many, and that legend is still alive everywhere.

My comment had nothing to do with what or how much either drove.

Both acheived a level that very few ever attain in there careers.

Dale Earnhardt was not 'the person' Aarton Senna was prior to his death and never will be.

Gotta remember too, that at the time Senna was probably one of the 5 most famous people on the entire planet.

Well, I've never heard of the guy.

I honestly think in 1994 that John Bobitt. Tanya Harding, Michael Jackson, Anna Nicole Smith, and Pope John Paul II would be at the top of that list.

Senna's grave attracts more visitors a year than the graves of John F Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley combined.

I seriously doubt this.

Everybody?? Everybody??

CadillacPat

Pat, just because you're unfamiliar with the subject doesn't mean that Brett's assertions aren't accurate. Watch the "Senna" documentary film and you might learn a few things. For example, regarding Senna's funeral (Wikipedia, with reference citations):

An estimated three million people flocked to the streets of Senna's hometown of São Paulo to offer him their salute. This is widely accepted as the largest recorded gathering of mourners in modern times.[106] Over 200,000 people filed past as his body lay in state at the Legislative Assembly building in Ibirapuera Park. After the public viewing, a 21-gun salute was fired by the 2nd Artillery Brigade and seven Brazilian Air Force jets flew in a diamond formation as the funeral procession made its way to Morumbi Cemetery. Many prominent motor racing figures attended Senna's state funeral, such as team managers Ken Tyrrell, Peter Collins, Ron Dennis, and Frank Williams, and driver Jackie Stewart. The pallbearers included drivers Gerhard Berger, Michele Alboreto, Alain Prost, Thierry Boutsen, Damon Hill, Rubens Barrichello, Roberto Moreno, Derek Warwick, Mauricio Gugelmin, Hans Stuck, Johnny Herbert, Pedro Lamy, Maurizio Sala, Raul Boesel, Emerson Fittipaldi, Wilson Fittipaldi, and Christian Fittipaldi. Neither Sid Watkins nor Jo Ramírez, the McLaren team coordinator, could bear to attend because they were so grief-stricken.

Sure, NASCAR and NFL football are big-time sports here, but they're almost mysteries to the rest of the world, who are into other sports -- like the world's most popular sport by far, professional soccer, which can't draw large audiences here. This is all well-known, but the comparison should be drawn.

Edited by sjordan2

Sjordan I understand your strong feelings for the subject but when you quote terms like "estimated 3 million" and "widely accepted", everything gets real iffy.

I'll give it a big deal in South America 20 years ago, but worldwide or one of the 5 most famous people, I can't do.

CadillacPat

Pat why don't you just leave this thris alone and respect the people who do care. And just because you didn't know anything about him doesn't mean he was not famous. If Bobbit is on your list you spend too much time reading tabloid trash. By the way your comments are not funny and you are not the expert on everything. I think this board would be a nicer place without your presence.