Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honda S800

Erik Smith

Tamiya's Honda S800 - one of my favorite cars. OOB with some wire added in the engine bay.

Body is Duplicolor something-something brown (I have to find the cap) and interior is Tamiya semi-gloss black. Bumpers were repainted with Alclad II chrome and engine is multiple shades of Alclad II aluminums.

This is a fantastic kit - although it's engineered so "tight" that if you don't drill out the mounting holes (I didn't until after paint), part fit is very difficult.

b5de45b1-ced2-45aa-b357-71990132f659_zps

379202cf-6002-4db1-b707-0081dbe32dc8_zps

4f4aa979-85c0-460c-bcb1-006feece3b50_zps

0cceb25d-e8f1-44f9-8d91-dbaff0cd40e5_zps

60e85554-083e-4f62-bd39-acdcfe8dce72_zps

4d835552-3d5e-4aee-aab7-5d036920d727_zps

dcb1404c-88d6-4ae0-aa7c-cb178d45faa8_zps

Very sharp little build of a cool little car. Your detail painting of the engine and exhaust really brings the model alive. Is your windshield inserted all the way? It looks like it is coming out of its groove. I bult one of these and recall that tight engineering you mention.

Jim, the engine is only an 800cc 4 cylinder. what you are seeing (that you perceive to be a V8) is actually the lean of the engine coupled with the side-draft carbs. I have the racing version of this kit and it is a great piece.

Love what you did with it Eric, and it sure is a tightly engineered kit! I have to get the engine bay/floor pan up under the body first, then paint everything as a unit. Basically, having to build it as the assembly line did (sort-of) The interior (dash and door panels) had to be fit to the body (for me anyway) before I could really snap the chassis plate in. Once the unit-body was all together, I had to tape off the interior panels and paint the exterior/interior floor pans (as mine being the racing version has no carpet detail). Then lower the finished product over the chassis/drivetrain.

Jim, the engine is only an 800cc 4 cylinder. what you are seeing (that you perceive to be a V8) is actually the lean of the engine coupled with the side-draft carbs. I have the racing version of this kit and it is a great piece.

Love what you did with it Eric, and it sure is a tightly engineered kit! I have to get the engine bay/floor pan up under the body first, then paint everything as a unit. Basically, having to build it as the assembly line did (sort-of) The interior (dash and door panels) had to be fit to the body (for me anyway) before I could really snap the chassis plate in. Once the unit-body was all together, I had to tape off the interior panels and paint the exterior/interior floor pans (as mine being the racing version has no carpet detail). Then lower the finished product over the chassis/drivetrain.

Had I looked closer, or for that matter, consulted with the racing kit on my shelf, I'd have noticed that. Sometimes my powers of observation are a weeeee bit off :rolleyes: