Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first two: Kurtis indy car and a '51 Chevrolet

DuesyKid

Hi all! I'm Andrew and I'm 12. I already posted my introduction, but thought I would put my first 2 builds here.

My Stepdad got me into building model cars last year. My first was the Revell Kurtis Kraft indy racer. I entered it in the Portland Roadster Show Model Car contest and won 2nd place! For this year I built the AMT 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline that my Stepdad gave me and got 3rd place! For 2014, I am building the Monogram 1934 Duesenberg Weymann Torpedo and am determined to win Best of Show and 1st place in the Junior Division.

Here are my first 2 builds. Enjoy!

Andrew

post-11959-0-09735200-1367958774_thumb.j

post-11959-0-25382500-1367958795_thumb.j

post-11959-0-60439900-1367958811_thumb.j

post-11959-0-37649200-1367958841_thumb.j

post-11959-0-58325200-1367958861_thumb.j

post-11959-0-06568600-1367958877_thumb.j

Andrew has a real knack for this and is only getting better.

I'm the Stepdad in question and the one responsible for getting him sucked into this hobby :) He is a very bright kid with LOTS of talent...and plenty to learn as well. The Kurtis was (as he mentioned) his first attempt. I had talked about getting him a starter kit, and a friend of mine bought him that one as a birthday gift. When it came time for paint, I gave him the pointer, let him practice then turned him loose on the Kurtis...assuming what we would probably end up with exactly what one would expect for a kid's first model. When he actually put paint to plastic I was blown away by the perfect Yellow coat that he applied...as if he had been painting for years. He then turned to me and asked "Is this good?" :D

A few weeks ago, we practiced using the air-brush and he did great!...gave hima box of old kit bodies and turned him loose after we practiced mixing paint and practiced brush control. He nailed that too.

My dad got me into model building when I was little and know I can pass it on to him.

He and I are excited to get rolling on the big Duesenberg :D

Edited by MrModelT

Wow! My builds at 12 were full of glue blobs and fingerprints. Awesome job on these.

Same here :) First kit I built by myself was the AMT '33 Willys Gasser....it was a disaster: No paint, no decals and glue EVERYWHERE. I didn't know what to expect from Andrew with his first paint job....but was thoroughly impressed with his work on both the Kurtis and the Chevy.

We had some mistakes and a run, but with some more practice and coaching (and some repair work help from me) he made a nice looking car out of that Chevy.

Edited by MrModelT

Again, I did not mean my comment as a criticism, that 51 is awesome! Any engine and chassis pics?

No offense taken! :) We both realized it had been missed as we were unpacking it for judging, lol!

I believe we can take a few chassis/engine shots and post them for you guys.