Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixed emotions, Friendship, and a 70' Cougar

Austin T

As some may know I have been searching for a first car for a while now,well a few weeks ago I stumbled across a 1970 Cougar in a garage. I talked with the owner and his interests have changed and he wanted the car outta there. It did need some work,but stuff that I could easily do with my dad,only dilemma is my lack of garage. We have two cars,three bikes, and a small suburban house. Well I have a friend who has the room to work on it and is a big car guy to say the least, he also collects models. Sometime in one of our conversations I mentioned the Cougar and told him about it, well today he went and bought it. Not only did he get it, he got it for a steal. The price I was told was 2000, he picked it up for 800.

I'm glad for him that he got the car,but then again I still REALLY wanted it and for that price I could have made an arrangement with someone to store it. I have told myself that I will come across another Muscle car in budget someday,but man I was just about to grasp it. This car will not damage our friendship, who knows it might benefit it some way, but I still want it.

Any of you guys have similar situation you have been stuck in?

Yea, you've just experienced life! I've lost a few cars by telling friends about them, but in the end I always realized that it was me that hesitated about it first, leaving the door open for someone else. And somewhere along the I would always find something better!

Guest Johnny

Can you take a little advise from an old man Austin?

I have been it the same situation years ago and really got miffed at my good friend over a car deal. It destroyed a friendship that had existed since kindergarten.

Him buying the car was wrong.

But me getting so pissed off that I let it end a friendship was far worse.

It is alright to be mad at him, that is after all just being human. Even let him know how you feel.

But don't let it get to the point of losing a friend.

A friendship is far more important and valuable than any car. Especially one you never really had.

I have been it the same situation years ago and really got miffed at my good friend over a car deal. It destroyed a friendship that had existed since kindergarten.

It is alright to be mad at him, that is after all just being human. Even let him know how you feel.

A friendship is far more important and valuable than any car. Especially one you never really had.

Second.

There's plenty of wheels out there, Tyler. Keep your eyes open and something will crop up.

If I may suggest, though. Rather than too strong a car for your first wheels, if you want something older, stick to something like Dart/Valiant/Nova/Falcon or similar with a six or small V8. You're still learning the nuances of driving and don't want something that'll get away from you too easily.

And before you say "not enough," Clifford Performance and Offenshauser both make some bolt-on parts that'll perk a six right up and still give you good mileage and small V8s, with a good intake and exhasust, can have plenty of pep, and if tuned properly, will actually deliver a little better mileage.

Charlie Larkin

"well today he went and bought it. Not only did he get it, he got it for a steal. The price I was told was 2000, he picked it up for 800.

This car will not damage our friendship, who knows it might benefit it some way, but I still want it."

A friend would not do that to you!

It already has caused damage or you would not have posted it on the net...

What you do at this point is your business but I would not call him a friend.

Edited by James2

I guess that since I'm just an old fart and still consider things like "trust" and "loyalty" to be a part of friendship, I'd X the guy out of my book.

Define friend?

"Someone who opportunistically snakes something out from under you, that you really wanted, and he KNEW you really wanted it."

Nah.

I wouldn't leave him with your girl, either, if I were you.

Of course, if you don't require your "friends" to be trustworthy, or to be loyal to you, or have any sense of ethics, then BY ALL MEANS, keep the friendship.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I feel your pain, I had a similar experience relating to my project car. In the end I have one less friend, I still have my car, and I was better off by a long shot,

If someone goes behind your back, there not really your friend, I know, It was a friend who found my car and erged me to go take a look, for that I'm eternally grateful to him.

Nick

Edit: re-read your initial post, I feel your pain, I live in a suburban neighborhood with a fairly small but full driveway, no garage, If you find something, ask some family members, remember blood is thicker than water, I have my toy over at my uncles house.

Edited by Nick Winter

That stinks. But you are young and you ain't seen nothing yet! I had several friends screw me over with cars. Mostly on the end of me doing them a favor, giving or selling them cars I had at a give away price. And take it from me, never sell them a car for payments! I learned the hard way that hard luck friends have hard luck for a reason!

Guest Johnny

I guess that since I'm just an old fart and still consider things like "trust" and "loyalty" to be a part of friendship, I'd X the guy out of my book.

Define friend?

"Someone who opportunistically snakes something out from under you, that you really wanted, and he KNEW you really wanted it."

Nah.

Of course, if you don't require your "friends" to be trustworthy, or to be loyal to you, or have any sense of ethics, then BY ALL MEANS, keep the friendship.

Didn't really sound like his friend snaked it out from under him. For that to have happened he would have shown real intent to buy it which by his own words he did not.

• 2 weeks later...

You are blessed! Trust me. I have several mustangs and I have a couple buddies who are cougar nuts. If you are a young guy you don't likely have the deep pockets it takes to do a cougar! There are no real parts sources for them like other cars like mustangs,camaros,chevelles etc. I know for fact these guys have hunted for ages to find good clean parts for these. Sheet metal is not as readily available either. You will find what you are looking for. Last fall I followed a tip and 10 miles from my house I found a 68 cyclone gt in a little bush in a field. Been parked there since 74. Never told a soul. Got it for 100 bucks and all the hard to find cyclone stuff is mint on it

I third Johnny's comment Austin! It's life, things like that happen. I've had friends do similar things, buy cars I wanted, buy a model I wanted but couldn't get until next payday and they bought the last one first, and even with jobs, but there have been cases the roll has been reversed. They are still friends, and everything else is water under the bridge.

that would end the friendship instantly for me , what kind of friend goes behind your back , first a car , what's next

HMMMMM, sounds like someone has never heard the phrase "forgive and forget"!

Define friend?

Nah.

Everything said here is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. ESPESCIALLY this statement.

It sucks big time i'm sorry I wouldn't call him a friend at all. you just learned rule number one of dealing with classic car buying you can tell them about the car but never give it's location even if they ask. I had an old 72 valiant that was just sitting for 1 yearand I had a kid come by asked if it was for sale I gave him a price and he said he'd be back in 4 days with the money. Later that very day another kid a so called "friend" of the other kid came by and tried to snag it. I didn't sell. first kid showed up when he said he would and was very pleased when I told him the story also very upset with the other guy.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ADVICE IS SOLID. I WOULD ONLY AD THAT WHENEVER YOU HAVE A CHANCE AT SOMETHING LIKE THAT AGAIN YOU CAN MENTION IT TO YOUR FRIEND BUT NEVER SAY WHO HAS THE ITEM OR WHERE IT IS. YOUR BIG MISTAKE WAS GIVING OUT TO MUCH INFORMATION.IF AT SOME POINT YOU REALIZE IT IS NOT FOR YOU THEN YOU CAN TELL YOUR FRIENDS THEY CAN GET IT IF THEY WANT IT AS YOU CAN'T. WHO KNOWS MAYBE LATER THEY WILL SELL IT TO YOU IF YOU STILL WANT IT AND THEY DON'T.

and the same goes with model cars! A few years ago a guy in my club found someone who was selling their model collection. He bought some stuff from him, then told our club that we could go to this guys house with him after our next club meeting to share in what he had. This guy had a habit of telling everyone everything he knew, especially if he had a juicy bit of information. Long and short of it, he mentioned it to the wrong person and a local model dealer went and bought the entire collection before we got there!

and the same goes with model cars! A few years ago a guy in my club found someone who was selling their model collection. He bought some stuff from him, then told our club that we could go to this guys house with him after our next club meeting to share in what he had. This guy had a habit of telling everyone everything he knew, especially if he had a juicy bit of information. Long and short of it, he mentioned it to the wrong person and a local model dealer went and bought the entire collection before we got there!

Don't even get me started on model dealers snatching up collections. Lets just say there are a few a swap meets I refuse to buy from now because of how low they go to get product.

As for the Cougar It was my fault for giving up the info. He enjoys it and is making it into something vs me slowly making it something with cheap parts. Jason is still a friend of mine, I've forgiven him for buying the car. And just to clarify he did not TAKE the car out from under me, he just got it for a price that make me a little upset, I had not made an offer yet. As for him taking my girlfriend (If I had one) that would kinda be weird considering i'm 17 and he's in his mid 50's. :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

Define friend?

Nah.

Ditto. I'd puck the guy in the mouth for snakin me like that.

Guest Johnny

Apparently some here do not really know what the meaning of being "snaked" is.

Can't be "snaked" out of something you never ever had or was close to having which is what the OP said!

He was upset not that the other guy got it but managed to negotiate a lower price. That IS NT being snaked and NOT a reason to toss a frienship unless you are a very shallow person your self!

Can't be "snaked" out of something you never ever had or was close to having which is what the OP said!

He was upset not that the other guy got it but managed to negotiate a lower price. That IS NT being snaked and NOT a reason to toss a frienship unless you are a very shallow person your self!

Thank you Johnny.

...............and NOT a reason to toss a frienship unless you are a very shallow person your self!

Hmmm...one actual dictionary definition of "snake", and I quote, is..."a treacherous person; an insidious enemy." That's pretty clear.

The Urban Dictionary defines "snaked" as : "To get stabbed in the back or be generally screwed over by someone". Clearly the actions of a "snake" as defined above.

So, if the OP didn't feel he'd been screwed over, why did he even bother to bring this up?

A REAL friend, someone who has some loyalty and the best interests of his friends at heart, would have offered the car to the OP at the reduced price, knowing how badly he wanted it, and that he couldn't pay much...NOT negotiated a sweet deal, selfishly, for himself.

That's what I would have done, anyway. Guess I'm a shallow person for expecting my friends to treat me the same way I'd treat them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy