Model Cars Magazine Forum

This thread (topic) might not work for the whippersnapper members, but I'm gonna bet there are many MCM members that remember, or own the classic "little page" magazines. So, I'll start.

At some point, I'll show you the current little page magazines, although there aren't that many. If you have some, show 'em!

post-9023-0-43310100-1370393180_thumb.jp

post-9023-0-70296200-1370393199_thumb.jp

post-9023-0-05737200-1370393314_thumb.jp

post-9023-0-57550700-1370393351_thumb.jp

I vividly remember that issue of Car Model Magazine . . . the How-To article by Dave Shuklis showing his method of building a working convertible top out of brass strips, pins, and thin linen for that '50 Ford ragtop . . . well, it just knocked me out!!

I tried for months to build one, using Dave's articles, plans, and photos, but never could pull it off. I marvelled at his genius and his prowess.

Then years later I learned the extent of the physical disabilities he overcame every time he crafted another world-class cover model. I'll always revere his talent and sheer determination!

What a modeling role model he was. It was the "little pages" that brought him and other early stars into the lives of so many of us budding modelers.

Yeah I have that issue of Car Model magazine too. I always wanted to try to make that working convertible top mechanism too but never attempted it. I saw the one that Bill Geary made, but I believe he said that he couldn't find material for the top that would fold properly in scale.

I found this one in the bottom of a "throw-away-pile" of books a guy had at a club meeting about a year ago. It talks a lot about Dave Shuklis in there, man he was an amazing builder. Anyone know what happened to his builds?

post-8818-0-36916300-1370612535_thumb.jp

Edited by Austin T

I found this one in the bottom of a "throw-away-pile" of books a guy had at a club meeting about a year ago. It talks a lot about Dave Shuklis in there, man he was an amazing builder. Anyone know what happened to his builds?

attachicon.gif100_1233.JPG

Most of them, particularly the most famous of them, are on display at the International Model Builders Museum in Salt Lake City, UT.

Most of them, particularly the most famous of them, are on display at the International Model Builders Museum in Salt Lake City, UT.

Sweet, If I even go to Salt Lake City, UT I will check that place out. Be pretty cool to go to GSL and the museum.

• 2 weeks later...