Model Cars Magazine Forum

*WIP* Original AMT 1969 Mustang - Wimbledon White - Primered and Painted

RandyB.

I picked up this original AMT 1969 Mustang on ebay for a handsome price. The kit was still in the original shrink wrap and looked pretty good for being in the box for 44 years......just like a time capsule. I wanted this kit for my Mustang collection because it was the only model of this car that was kitted accurately to my knowledge plus it is my favourite Mustang. For a change this model will be built without the Mach 1 version. Too many models of this car have all been built as Mach 1's. I think this will be a refreshing change...besides the engine included in the kit is not a Mach 1 engine anyway. At this point I will be painting the build in factory colour "Wimbledon White". They have also included the old Firestone tires with red walls on one side and white walls on the other side.....I will be using the red wall side. Stay tuned for more to come from this vintage build.

Pictures754_zpsb9e14642.jpg

Pictures757_zpsa70ddd9a.jpg

Pictures753_zpsf4b2b966.jpg

Pictures758_zpsc6e09b6e.jpg

Edited by RandyB.

I have this kit and the resin repop from Missing Link, and I KNOW i din't pay what you musta paid for a mint unbuilt one for BOTH of mine! Yes, your absolutely right, it's the ONLY ACCURATELY molded 69 in 25th scale. I also have the 1970 Mustang too AND the Missing Link casting too.

These are some GREAT kits, and they were so nice, that after I found out Missing Link had BOTH years of them, I went ahead and got the last one of each year that he had! The MPC is 1/27th scale and placed next to one of these is visably MUCH smaller! Gonna be lookin forward to your build up.

Edited by george 53

Sweet! Why do you say the engine is not a Mach 1 engine?

If you look at the instruction sheet you can see that the air cleaner is not the open top air cleaner that seats against the opening intake on the hood. The one included in the kit is a closed air cleaner.

Edited by RandyB.

I have this kit and the resin repop from Missing Link, and I KNOW i din't pay what you musta paid for a mint unbuilt one for BOTH of mine! Yes, your absolutely right, it's the ONLY ACCURATELY molded 69 in 25th scale. I also have the 1970 Mustang too AND the Missing Link casting too.

These are some GREAT kits, and they were so nice, that after I found out Missing Link had BOTH years of them, I went ahead and got the last one of each year that he had! The MPC is 1/27th scale and placed next to one of these is visably MUCH smaller! Gonna be lookin forward to your build up.

Yes this kit was expensive but I wanted one of these accurate '69 Stangs. I used to have two of these back in 69 when I was a kid and I think they were around two bucks a piece back then! :o

Edited by RandyB.

All 69 air cleaners were closed top units unless you got a shaker hood. That hood scoop did nothing on 69 mustangs. On 68's with the cobra jet it was a ram air scoop

This kit includes two hoods, the shaker hood and the smooth stock hood. I decided to build it with the smooth stock hood because the air cleaner that would be used for the shaker hood is not included with the kit. Instead they have included the closed air cleaner.

This kit includes two hoods, the shaker hood and the smooth stock hood. I decided to build it with the smooth stock hood because the air cleaner that would be used for the shaker hood is not included with the kit. Instead they have included the closed air cleaner.

AH, I got you now. put a rocker stripe on it and you have the rare but real 69 GT mustang. most people don't even know they exist lol

AH, I got you now. put a rocker stripe on it and you have the rare but real 69 GT mustang. most people don't even know they exist lol

Nice work so far, and an excellent acquisition Randy!!!! This month's Muscle Car Review Magazine has a nice article on a Black Jade Metallic '69 Mustang GT.