Model Cars Magazine Forum

unexpected first place winners

blazefox

Back in '96 I busted my butt working on a '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery Street Machine. It was a resin AAM resin body that I put a partial pro street chassis under, along with a blown engine and full engine compartment details. While This was in various stages of completion, I sort of threw together a '37 Ford Cabriolet model. I took them both to the MassCar Show and the Sedan Delivery model did nothing. The '37 Ford wound up taking First Place Street Rod and Best Interior. I was totally shocked... Pics of the '37 follow......

37FORDCABRIOLET.jpg

37FORDCABRIOLETSIDEVIEW.jpg

37FORDCABRIOLETINTERIOR.jpg

Back when i was in second or third grade i think it was 2001 the hobby outlook chose this thing. I think it was its story but its still a win. Since then its been dropped and broke like 3 times poor thing. It now sits on my shelf in a case with the stacks broke and the gas tanks have fallen off.

17532_103330789696859_4505665_n.jpg

Edited by Platerpants

This '66 GTO took a 1st place and I'm still stymied by it. I brought it simply to get more cars on the table at an IPMS contest, and it won the class over about 15 other builds, all of which looked much better than this! My first wired engine (Not very well either), a fully flocked interior (The entire door panels, dash pad, carpet, seats, and headliner), and an attempt at a ghost graphic that failed miserably. The darker part of the paint is brush painted, and it's very easy to see in person, trust me. Throw in a cracked and badly repaired A-pillar and you have a model that shouldn't have even sniffed last place, but it won somehow!

GTO008-vi.jpg

GTO009-vi.jpg

laurie7-vi.jpg

Back in the last decade of the last century.. 1992 to be exact, my daughter built the Ghostbuster car and we went to the Staten Island Model Car Show, which was then held in conjunction with an AACA car show. It was a good day out since there was a full size car show, kids rides and a lot of different food and things to keep a young daughter busy.

I was very careful to explain to sportsmanship to her. We built models for the fun of it, and that we shouldn't expect to win a trophy, so if we didn't we shouldn't be disappointed because we came to have fun. I hadn't won much at that point, so I really didn't expect to win. Well, that lesson went right out the window. My '55 Chevy pickup took First Place Light Commercial, the Ghostbuster took Second Place Junior and the car that never won anything, my '32 Ford took Third Place Street Rod.

There are always shows that don't have enough models in specific categories, so the two models that are there win first and second, no matter how bad they are! We have a running joke in my club that you need to build a model for every category and keep them in your car. When you see that say, small scale only has one entry, you run out and get yours... the ultimate trophy whoring!

SAM_0427.jpg

I had 3 or 4 other cars lined up to take to the one and only contest I ever entered, back in the early 90s. At the last minute I changed my mind and took this Rusty car instead and got the 1st in class trophy. Competition wasn't that stiff however, there were a lot of cars there but most entered by kids.

Not to say that kids can't build great models, we see them here all the time. But these were more like the ones I built when I was 8-10 years old :rolleyes:

I finished this one just in time for the IPMS show in Phoenix. Danno and several others from down that a way build some superb commercial vehicles so I had no expectations for this. It really is a simple OOB build.

DSCF3833.jpg

DSCF3826.jpg

G

I finished this one just in time for the IPMS show in Phoenix. Danno and several others from down that a way build some superb commercial vehicles so I had no expectations for this. It really is a simple OOB build.

DSCF3833.jpg

DSCF3826.jpg

G

The 300c wagon in my avatar won best engine in my first contest I ever attended

Picture178.jpg

Picture354.jpg

Picture179.jpg

couldn't post pics earlier...? got it working... the engine and rims are out of an enzo Ferrari, no plumbing or photoetch of any kind.... missing window etc.... but still won... I guess they liked the idea of a superwagon! :D

Back in '96 I busted my butt working on a '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery Street Machine. It was a resin AAM resin body that I put a partial pro street chassis under, along with a blown engine and full engine compartment details. While This was in various stages of completion, I sort of threw together a '37 Ford Cabriolet model. I took them both to the MassCar Show and the Sedan Delivery model did nothing. The '37 Ford wound up taking First Place Street Rod and Best Interior. I was totally shocked... Pics of the '37 follow......

37FORDCABRIOLET.jpg

37FORDCABRIOLETSIDEVIEW.jpg

37FORDCABRIOLETINTERIOR.jpg

that is what you called slapped together you sir make me ashamed of calling myself a modler

Honestly Dave, I worked on the Sedan Delivery model for almost 3 months, and only spent maybe 3 weeks on the '37. It was the first time I used more than one color of flocking in an interior and the first time I ever used a photo-etched grille. I painted it with Boyd's enamel from a rattle can with Testors clearcoat. The flames were hand painted with Teal Pearl paint and I really wasn't too happy with the way they turned out. Yeah the model turned out looking pretty good, but I never in my wildest dreams ever thought it would do as well as it did in that show.

• 4 weeks later...

I had built an AMT 68 Shelby when I was about 10-12 years old globby hand paint ya know. Me my dad and my brother who was about 5-6 at the time went to a car show and I entered one of my models, well my brother had to have one in the show too so he took that shelby and entered it and won.