Model Cars Magazine Forum

What thirties makes would you like to see cast in resin the most?

• 3 weeks later...

I know these are Fords, but there's never been a '33-34 roadster done in 1/25 or 1/24th scale, nor an accurate '34 3 window coupe except Monogram's old tool 1/24 th scale '34 stock height coupe/cabriolet - one can use the chopped top part from the various ZZ top kits based on it, but the ZZ Top kit was very lacking in so many ways, esp the chassis, etc .) The only resin '33-34 roadster bodies that have been done (to the best of my knowledge) are not accurate, as their doors are too long (they should have have shorter doors that are the same length as the '33-34 five-window coupes). And, I think that they were based on Monogram's 1/24 scale '34 or the ZZ Top kit. AMT's '33-'34 five-window coupe, but, not their awful Tudor sedan kit, could be used, w/ suitable upgrades, as donors for 1/25th scale bodies. A 1/25 scale '33-'34 Ford Tudor sedan body & fenders would be welcome, also.

I'd also like to be able to get either a 1/25th scale '28-'29 and/or '30-'31 Model A coupe in 1/25th scale (so that the plentiful amount of hot rod parts found in many plastic donor kits could be used with those bodies. AMT's '29 Model A roadster kit could be used as a donor, as well as Revell's '28-29 rat rod pick up kit, or their '32 chassis for building highboy hot rods.

Lots of aftermarket suspension bits, photo-etch parts, etc are out there already for doing many versions of both '33-34 and Model A Ford hot rods.

Also on my wish list - all would be 1/24 scale, most likely -

- '39 Lincoln Zephyr (use w/ Monogram's '41 Continental kit)

- F&F bodies (use w/ Heller's Delahaye kit)

- Weymann boat-tailed Duesenberg (use w/ Monogram's various Duesenberg kits)

- '38 Buick Century coupe (no idea what to use as a donor)

- 38-40 LaSalle - any body style (again, no idea what to use as a donor)

- '41 Chevy coupe (could possibly use w/ Monogram's '39 Chevy kit)

- '39-40 Mercury coupe and/or convertible w/ a Carson-type top (use w/ Revell's '40 Ford kit)

• 4 weeks later...

If you want an accurate 34 Roadster body there was a guy who put up a lakes style resin based 34 Roadster in January this year. He said that Chuck Mier mastered it and going by what i just saw it looks very accurate.

It appears to based off the AMT 1:25 scale five window coupe so it has the shorter doors and runs the coupe interior tub.

Chuck is supposed to be trading it under the name "old man down the road" not "Altered States" as you would expect.

Anyway I hope this helps.

I would be thrilled to be able to get an accurate '27 Model T roadster. They were and still are a key part of the hot rod scene, whether they're full-fendered, channeled, or high boys on '32 rails. Many have been raced at the dry-lakes & Bonneville since the early days of hot rodding.

If one of the manufacturers were to offer a 3in1 kit of the '27 roadster (in styrene), it could include a couple of track noses, a full belly pan (w/ louvers), a rear rolled pan, custom hood sides, a quick change diff, and other race-orientated parts. Engine choices, other than the flathead 4 banger, could be most anything, but hopefully an engine that has not been done before, or at least accurately. The biggest challenge would be tooling realistic original equipment-type wheels & tires. Revell would be my choice for offering such a kit, although AMT could do it, esp since their vintage '23 Model T kit(s) are less than accurate, and their optional parts could use some serious updating.

But, since this thread is all about resin stuff, all we really need is an accurate 3in1 roadster body, incl fenders, hood, and a few trim pcs. All of the other pcs needed to build most any version (from any era) of a hot rod or race car are available in kits on the shelves now.

re: my previous post - I recall that Perry's Resin once offered a 1/25 scale '27 Model T roadster body, including separately cast fenders/running boards. Problem is actually purchasing it from Perry's - except, possibly, at his hobby shop in Ontario, Canada. I have no idea if he's doing the '27Model T roadster anymore, or, for that matter, any resin items.

[i have the chopped '32 five window coupe resin body that he did long before Revell released their '32 five-window, and it's very good. Perry said that he used AMT's ancient 5 window top grafted onto Revell's '32 roadster shell, since all of AMT's '32 Fords are very inaccurate from the belt line down, esp in the cowl & rocker areas.]