Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you need a chassis when building a slammer?

Personally, I build all of my models so that they would function in the real world if scaled-up to full size. :)

Maybe it's because I build real cars for a living, and I understand function and believe it's an integral part of the design of any machine. B)

But like the man said, it's your model, so if you don't particularly care about realism, leave the chassis out entirely and cut the tops of the tires off to get it even lower. <_<

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am guessing that your "slammer" may be for a category in a contest. If so the answer to your question is no. A chassis is not required and model will not be picked up for underside judging. Judging based on visual impact only. Tires and such can be held on with baling wire. It is all part of the nature of the category.

Edited by JunkPile

Slammer is a category at the shows . The model has no chassis or interior and the windows are blacked out .

The curbside class has an interior and a rudimentary frame .

What makes the slammer class difficult is that the paint has to be stone cold perfect and an eye catching shade of color .

Slammers seem like art expressions. They have their niche and only have to go as far into other details that you want. A popular slammer model builder I remember is Ken Brickell. Some of his stuff is over the top and could never work in the real world but looks cool.

Chevy, a "slammer" isn't the same thing as a "slammed" lowrider. A slammer refers to a model build with no engine or chassis detail. Often the interior is also deleted and the windows blacked out.

For one my has no motor as the hood has been sealed to the body so it has no motor and it has a chassis ive cut so the wheels will tuck inside the body so its even lower and its not a lowrider Heres the defintion of a lowrider-lowriders are almost any car with hydrolic pumps added to it

​Taken from a resent show flyer...

"Slammer…Model which does not employ an opening hood, doors, or trunk, and the interior is fully enclosed by a top and blacked-out windows. Judged for visual impact only. Any vehicle."

The chassis could be from the kit or a flat piece of anything laying around to support the wheels.