Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 El Camino

geetee66

I built a few Tamiya military kits when I was a kid, but I've not built any for 25 years, until I got back into the hobby, earlier this year. Fuelled by a love of cars (especially pre -1970 American cars) I have thrown myself back into the hobby with gusto!

If it weren't for the internet, I doubt I could have done it, as ALL my kits have been sourced via eBay. I don't have a decent model shop within easy reach of where I live.

I was amazed by all the aftermarket parts you can get these days!

So here's my 2nd ever car build...the 59 El Camino.

This was a steep learning-curve for me, especially the paint. The Bare Metal Foil was my 1st attempt but I reckon it came out ok.

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

What d'you think?

Great job! B) It's kinda the same theme the '61 Ranchero I'm building is.

What are those wheels and where did they come from?

Thanks Jonathan

The wheels are included in the kit, as were the Appletons (I think that's what the spotlights are called...)

The kit is AMT and comes with custom / drag / stock options. The custom options include some gas-struts for the tonneau cover and some side-rails for the pick-up bed sides. I didn't use these as I wanted it to be less cluttered.

There are two different types of tail-light/tailgate as well. The drag version has bigger rear tyres on steelies.

I lowered the suspension, front and rear and added silver tube to the ends of the side-pipes.

I can recommend this kit. It was a lot of fun to build. My only regret is that I didn't know you could get photoetch scripts and hood badges for a 59 at the time of building. I don't know if I'll go back and retro-fit them as I'm scared of screwing it up!

that is simply insane! Very nice work.

I just got back into the hobby as well. I used to build them when I was around 9-10yrs old. Didn't ever paint them or anything just built them. Quick question, did you clear after bare metal foil?

Cheers Raul!

Thanks everyone, for the encouragement!

I used BMF after clear. The problem I had though, was with the polish I used on the clear. I think the resin polymer in the polish made the BMF less adhesive, so I have to be VERY careful when handling the model (which I try to avoid..)

I've got some display cases on order, so this will help keep fingers off the surface.

I reckon getting a perfectly smooth surface suits BMF best. I was worried that the clear on top might build-up on the foil in certain places. Also, I was worried that if I polished the clear over BMF. I might get high-spots and polish through to the BMF and mess it up!

Edited by geetee66

• 5 weeks later...
Just curious, what after market parts did you buy for this? I'm loving your attention to detail on this build B)

Cheers!

I got hold of the dice on eBay. I think they're from 'Ken's Kustom Parts'

I made the exhaust pipe tips from silver tube. The horn ring was made from fuse wire and the red and black battery leads were stripped from an old VCR cable.

The only parts I bought for it, were a distributor (wired with purple wire), some coolant hose and a turned aluminium coil, all from Detail Master.

Everything else was from the kit. (+ some Bare Metal foil...)

IMG_4090.jpg

Looks real nice. Wants me to make a ElCamino too.

Paintjob is wonderful, and the BMF looks really good.

would you mind if I gave you two comments I noticed?

-It looks to me that you have used a rather thick masking tape for the flames, use a thinner one or even BMF, so you get hardly height-difference at the paintline.

-apply BMF on the car-tags ( like on the left fender ) before you give the car a paintjob. In this way, you can use a q-tip and uncover the letters when you're done. This way, the inside of the letters are filled with the colour too. and looks even better.

Looks real nice. Wants me to make a ElCamino too.

Paintjob is wonderful, and the BMF looks really good.

would you mind if I gave you two comments I noticed?

-It looks to me that you have used a rather thick masking tape for the flames, use a thinner one or even BMF, so you get hardly height-difference at the paintline.

-apply BMF on the car-tags ( like on the left fender ) before you give the car a paintjob. In this way, you can use a q-tip and uncover the letters when you're done. This way, the inside of the letters are filled with the colour too. and looks even better.

Thanks Erik!

I'll definately use thinner tape next time. I'm aiming to get skilled with an airbrush, so hopefully I can apply more thin coats of paint rather than 2 or 3 medium ones from a can.

Good tip about the scripts. I didn't think of that, so cheers for the tip. I'll do it on the next one B)