Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Building Live Streams

Hey all, how many of us would be interested in seeing a model building live stream? Iv done a few short streams in the last few months and would like to see how much interest there is for them.

Also, what sort of stuff would you all like to see on a stream?

Iv seen some Youtube videos of model building and would love to get more interaction with other model builders through live streaming. Theres a chat-window on the streaming site I use, so you could all tell me how wrong Im doing everything :P

Cheers,

Kc

Maybe it's just me, but I like an old fashioned web page with text and pictures better than a video.

Web pages (blogs or whatever) are random access. You can move through it at your own pace and go back to a previous point for further review and contemplation

Videos are sequential and always seem to seem to take too long to get into the core of the subject then not spend enough time on it. So I have to spend 2 minutes listening to cheesy music and a title screen, then 10 minutes watching a guy talk about what he's going to do before he spends 5 minutes actually doing it.

It seems to me the fascination with videos these days is because they are easier to make than a good web page. But they aren't better.

Edited by dmk

I agree with you to an extent, some of the how-to videos 'ham it up' a bit with a giant explanation. But some of them are brilliant with their explanations. Web-page tutorials can be a bit the same though, but you can skip all the text and get straight to the pictures. Even then there may be some not quite clear steps and methods.

The reason I ask if there's any interest in live streams is that ten of thousands of people are watching video-game and TV show live streams 24/7 and I think model building as an online community shouldnt be left behind, its a growing media and very different from standard Youtube videos. With a live stream you get live interaction with the video-caster and can ask them questions and just chat. Although Id probably learn more from people viewing my videos than Id teach them, there are builders out there who could host 'how to' live streams and just generally build the community closer, and hey maybe even get some people interested in building! :D

I agree with you to an extent, some of the how-to videos 'ham it up' a bit with a giant explanation. But some of them are brilliant with their explanations. Web-page tutorials can be a bit the same though, but you can skip all the text and get straight to the pictures. Even then there may be some not quite clear steps and methods.

The reason I ask if there's any interest in live streams is that ten of thousands of people are watching video-game and TV show live streams 24/7 and I think model building as an online community shouldnt be left behind, its a growing media and very different from standard Youtube videos. With a live stream you get live interaction with the video-caster and can ask them questions and just chat. Although Id probably learn more from people viewing my videos than Id teach them, there are builders out there who could host 'how to' live streams and just generally build the community closer, and hey maybe even get some people interested in building! :D

Yea, absolutely. Some videos are great and very enjoyable from beginning to end. But like you said, if the producer gets verbose, I can quickly scroll past the boring parts on a web page. I have to suffer through them in a video.

As far as live interaction. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it. Socialization or sharing a how-to? Both have their place.

Youtube (and a blog type post) are like Tivo. I can watch it whenever I can find the time.

A live stream would have to be scheduled and the participants have to make time for it (if they want to interact). You could post a non-interactive video later for those who missed it though.

A sort of example of this is the Plastic Scale Modeling Hour by Hawkeye's Hobbies on Warbird Radio. Some folks are able to make time, listen live and call in. Some others (like me) download the MP3 later and listen to it on the way to work or while building a model.

Whatever you do, please do us all a favor and make sure you use a script to keep it running smoothly and get to the point quickly so we don't have to waste a lot of time determining whether we are or aren't interested in the topic.

I guess I'm showing my bias (I don't even like news videos online, but I love Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube). You do have a great idea. It just may not be for everyone.

Edited by dmk

My local electronics store has several small video cameras that stream, and fairly inexpensively too. Couple one of those at the bench, with a decent microphone (headset perhaps), and just simply describe what it is you are doing on a model, from time to time. Sounds like it could be both fun to watch, and informative too.

Art

Yea, absolutely. Some videos are great and very enjoyable from beginning to end. But like you said, if the producer gets verbose, I can quickly scroll past the boring parts on a web page. I have to suffer through them in a video.

As far as live interaction. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it. Socialization or sharing a how-to? Both have their place.

Youtube (and a blog type post) are like Tivo. I can watch it whenever I can find the time.

A live stream would have to be scheduled and the participants have to make time for it (if they want to interact). You could post a non-interactive video later for those who missed it though.

A sort of example of this is the Plastic Scale Modeling Hour by Hawkeye's Hobbies on Warbird Radio. Some folks are able to make time, listen live and call in. Some others (like me) download the MP3 later and listen to it on the way to work or while building a model.

Whatever you do, please do us all a favor and make sure you use a script to keep it running smoothly and get to the point quickly so we don't have to waste a lot of time determining whether we are or aren't interested in the topic.

I guess I'm showing my bias (I don't even like news videos online, but I love Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube). You do have a great idea. It just may not be for everyone.

I had to look up verbose :P I think sharing info and socializing would go really well together with a model building live stream to be honest. Its true about the time constraints, I live in Australia so the streaming would probably go from 12am onwards, probably for a few hours. I could also upload the parts where i 'get to the point' to youtube for people to watch whenever. As far as a script goes I was doing a big cleanup of my model-area (it was horrendous lol) and I was thinking what sort of stuff I could do that wouldnt be a) boring to watch and B) wouldnt take a long time to explain. It would definitely take practice to keep it going smoothly, as with anything really. There is a place on the stream for a little mini-description in the title, so that's where Id put whats going on in the stream. I can see what you're getting at, it could be quite droll if the streamer is just sitting there sanding a car-body for 20 mins lol

What sort of how-to stuff would you guys and gals like to see anyway? If its chopping up model cars and leaving them to collect dust Im your guy! :P

My local electronics store has several small video cameras that stream, and fairly inexpensively too. Couple one of those at the bench, with a decent microphone (headset perhaps), and just simply describe what it is you are doing on a model, from time to time. Sounds like it could be both fun to watch, and informative too.

Art

My laptop was built with programs like Skype in mind (it came with that program on it) So I think youre right an extra camera would be useful for another view, maybe I can construct a head-cam... or just tape a webcam to my head :P

As long as whomever makes the video dispenses with shaky cam and product placement/shilling.

I suppose I could do that lol

I would like to have a nice little row boat on a stream right now, on a hot day like this....but I'm guessing that's not the kind of stream you're talking about. ;)

Thats sounds really good actually! :D

name="martinfan5" post="1003041" timestamp="1377819594"]

No thanks

Thanks for your input! :)

Edit: Multiquote only lets me quote two blocks of text, so sorry for the double post.

Edited by slowlylearning

I suppose I could do that lol

Thats sounds really good actually! :D

name="martinfan5" post="1003041" timestamp="1377819594"]

No thanks

Thanks for your input! :)

Edit: Multiquote only lets me quote two blocks of text, so sorry for the double post.

Dont take what I said the wrong the way, I would rather be building myself then watching someone else ;)

Dont take what I said the wrong the way, I would rather be building myself then watching someone else ;)

No offense taken, thanks for clarifying your reason :D

Sometimes I want to build models and muck about making a mess, but I have a lot of study and assignments to do, and I would love to have model-related noise going on in the background, but thats just me :)

A live stream of me sanding and fitting parts from something like my Pro Stock or Pro Mod projects would contain too much "colorful language" to be family friendly. Plus, I can get really weird when I'm frustrated and I wouldn't want anyone to see that.

TL;DR: no

Dale

Unless you were streaming a group taking part in the Annual 24 Hr Build, I'm not sure exactly how interesting watching you (or anyone) build a model would be. You're probably talking 40 hours of video, and unless you can really make interesting small talk, that's a lot of dead air quite literally watching paint dry.

A live stream of me sanding and fitting parts from something like my Pro Stock or Pro Mod projects would contain too much "colorful language" to be family friendly. Plus, I can get really weird when I'm frustrated and I wouldn't want anyone to see that.

TL;DR: no

Dale

Thanks for the input :D

Unless you were streaming a group taking part in the Annual 24 Hr Build, I'm not sure exactly how interesting watching you (or anyone) build a model would be. You're probably talking 40 hours of video, and unless you can really make interesting small talk, that's a lot of dead air quite literally watching paint dry.

THAT would be a cool thing to watch, a group building session! In my test-streams I usually bounce off of what the commenters are talking about if Im not explaining what Im doing at that moment. Youre right about the dead air, with sanding and painting, but I think if Id leaver a lot of stuff like that out, to an extent. Watching someone sand a model for 20 mins would be useless and ridiculous.

Thanks for the input :D

THAT would be a cool thing to watch, a group building session! In my test-streams I usually bounce off of what the commenters are talking about if Im not explaining what Im doing at that moment. Youre right about the dead air, with sanding and painting, but I think if Id leaver a lot of stuff like that out, to an extent. Watching someone sand a model for 20 mins would be useless and ridiculous.

If it were to become popular - hey look at how many streams there are of people playing World of Warcraft, there are people who with sponsorships and channel fees play WoW live as their JOB - You'd probably be able to sand a model every time. If the olds adage about having an entirely new audience at every commercial break is true, for every group of people who would focus on their own build, or go use the facilities and make a sandwich, an equal number of people would want to know why you were doing that, and you'd have to re-explain why and how to remove mold lines.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that this is a great idea, I've thought about this for years, I feel that Iam the perfect guy for this, I do have a tendency of getting carried away, but that's what I think would be really cool, The use of aftermarket parts, showing how to solder a steel or brass chasis together Making alum. interiors detailed fornt and rear suspension, Chopping sectioning, Mixing paint, and air brushing, Yes there would be a lot of sanding involved, but you could just hit fash forward or something, you know what I mean, I incorporate a lot of parts from different kits, to me everything is like a receipe That's why I call myself Chef WeeAuto, I would like to do it like a cooking show, like on tv. One of my Favirots is Gramm Care the galloping gormaet Late 60's early 70's Now you know how old I am I'm 59 years old. Let me know what you think. Mike Flynn Chef WeeAuto Ps I'm not very good a spelling That's why my user name is Chief WeeAuto I spelled it wrong Herry please help me get rid of the (I)