Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon Problem/Question

I've been using more Krylon on the last several projects. The reason: price, easy to use and color choice. I use Dupli-Color primer and then finish with Krylon Crystal Clear. The usual process is prime, allow 2-3 hours to dry, sand with #1000, spray 3-5 coats of color Krylon and 3 coats of clear. I then put in dehydrator for 6-10 hours to cure. On the current project I have run into fingerprinting issues as I finish assembly, buff and wax. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

This is a pickup. The box and rear fenders were painted and cleared at least 10 days ago. This afternoon while buffing out with Scratch-X I tried holding the part with a soft cotton cloth in stead of fingers. No finger prints but could see the thread pattern of the cloth. Hmmm. In regards to cure time would you suggest I should cure the paint for maybe 3 days in dehydrator at 105 before applying clear?

So you are in Kansas-near the capital city?

Possibly the primer is not totally cured. I always let my primer dry several days before sanding and painting. And I use the same paints- Duplicolor lacquer primer (stay AWAY from Duplicolor enamel primer, avoid it like the PLAGUE !) Now, having said that, someone will say their enamel primer is god's gift to mankind, however I stand by my statement. Krylon seems to change their paint formula every time you turn around, so be aware of that, too.........'Z'

spray 3-5 coats of color Krylon and 3 coats of clear.

How long between each of the color coats? Krylon's gloss enamels are slower to dry than the lacquer based primer you're using, so five coats will take a long time to gas out. Remember with enamel, the paint cures from the outside in so to speak, so just because the surface is dry to the touch, that doesn't mean the very based of the paint (where it touches the primer) is dry.

Give each coat of Krylon paint more time to dry.

Thanks for all the great info.Toluene is listed on the label so I was assuming this was a lacquer. As with other lacquers I was allowing 15-30 minutes between coats going from color to clear with the same timing. I am thinking I can continue to apply color in this increments but then allow several days before clear or do I run all color and clear and then in the cooker for several days. Appreciate the guidance and direction.

About 6 or 7 years ago KRYLON decide to change the formula they had for 30 years. It was the best cheap paint money could buy. It has been garbage ever since. It was Acrylic Lacquer and is now enamel of some type. The key to knowing if it's lacquer or enamel is in the instructions for recoat times. If it says recoat anytime it's lacquer, if it says recoat within an hour wait x number of days it's enamel. KRYLON still make lacquer but it only comes in Gloss Black, Gloss White or clear. You have too look up on the net to buy it. I do allot of white racecars and the old white lacquer is the best white I have ever used.

Edited by 935k3

I have a pickup project that I sprayed with Krylon and it never did dry completely! It only had two coats of paint and three coats of the Krylon Crystal Clear. BTW, my can of Crystal Clear is junk! It had more orange peel than primer! The odd part is that the can doesn't have a mixing ball inside of it. :wacko: That could be part of the problem. Anyhow, weeks after I sprayed my pickup, it still wasn't completely dry. When I would set it on my work bench for any amount of time, it wanted to stick to it. So, I stripped it and I'm going over the color with Plasti Kote clear this time. It's the closest thing I've found to Tamiya's TS-13. I would've switched brands with the color coat. But, I couldn't find the color in anything else and I already have the interior done. So, I had to go back with it. Lesson learned with Krylon.

About 6 or 7 years ago KRYLON decide to change the formula they had for 30 years. It was the best cheap paint money could buy. It has been garbage ever since. It was Acrylic Lacquer and is now enamel of some type. The key to knowing if it's lacquer or enamel is in the instructions for recoat times. If it says recoat anytime it's lacquer, if it says recoat within an hour wait x number of days it's enamel. KRYLON still make lacquer but it only comes in Gloss Black, Gloss White or clear. You have too look up on the net to buy it. I do allot of white racecars and the old white lacquer is the best white I have ever used.

SOME WORTHWHILE INFORMATION HERE PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please keep it for reference .

SOME WORTHWHILE INFORMATION HERE PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please keep it for reference .

Amen to that, Ed! Like plowboy I recently did a pickup using Krylon Enamel clear over Duplicolor Metallic and it took several weeks to cure properly. At the same time I started a project using Krylon Enamel as the color coat. While cure time was acceptable, about 24 hours to the point where I could readily handle it, I clear coated it with Krylon Enamel within the 2 day window (but more than 1 hour) and got crazing, as if I had cleared it with lacquer. Yikes! I love the color choices, especially in solids, but it will take some more experimentation to get back to proper results.