Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Mercedes 300 SL Roadster 1/24

Plastheniker

Hi, in my oppinion one of the best car kits ever released - if not the best - is Italeri's 1/24 Mecedes 300 SL.

Fit, detail, and parts quality are excellent, the price is very favourable by comparison and, most important, the kit captures the appearance of the real car perfectly.

I built mine in the nineties with only minor detailing.

Mercedes delivered the 300 SL in the oddest colours if colour-blind customers ordered it

http://300sl-club.mercedes-benz-clubs.com/

Silver/red, however, was the most typical and, of course a matter of taste, the best-looking combination by far.

post-11944-0-24822100-1378240600_thumb.jpost-11944-0-49841900-1378240602_thumb.jpost-11944-0-51282700-1378240605_thumb.jpost-11944-0-90238100-1378240607_thumb.jpost-11944-0-22908400-1378240610_thumb.jpost-11944-0-20383300-1378240613_thumb.jpost-11944-0-90414300-1378240615_thumb.jpost-11944-0-94247100-1378240597_thumb.j

Thanks,

no I am sorry, there are no engine pictures.

Of course this is a matter of taste, but I hate opening hoods, doors, and trunk lids because mostly (if not always) they are not completely flush and properly aligned or show varying gaps. Eliminating these problems completely and finally means to me fixing these parts, all the more since I build only for my display case and nobody (including me) would ever open them. That is why I always build and detail only what could be visible if the model is turned upside down. Whenever I feel inclined to display an engine/gearbox I buy a second kit or superdetail a complete chassis as already shown on my Casadio GP models.

Thanks,

Of course this is a matter of taste, but I hate opening hoods, doors, and trunk lids because mostly (if not always) they are not completely flush and properly aligned or show varying gaps. Eliminating these problems completely and finally means to me fixing these parts, all the more since I build only for my display case and nobody (including me) would ever open them.

Makes sense to me!

Oh well... you did an excellent job on the visible parts! Ausgezeichnet! :D

By the way... is that you in your avatar? ^_^

Thanks,

Of course this is a matter of taste, but I hate opening hoods, doors, and trunk lids because mostly (if not always) they are not completely flush and properly aligned or show varying gaps. Eliminating these problems completely and finally means to me fixing these parts, all the more since I build only for my display case and nobody (including me) would ever open them. That is why I always build and detail only what could be visible if the model is turned upside down. Whenever I feel inclined to display an engine/gearbox I buy a second kit or superdetail a complete chassis as already shown on my Casadio GP models.

Very nice build. You could prop the hood open to show off engine details.

That is a BEAUTIFUL model Jürgen. I agree, silver with a red interior is the best choice and a classic colour combination on the Mercedes. The 300SL is probably in my top ten cars of all time (along with the gullwing) and I am looking forward to building my Italeri kit that has been sitting on the shelf for some time now.

I like your philosophy about building a second kit just to display the chassis/engine detail. It makes good sense. both can be displayed side-by-side and there would be no need to open the display cabinet and fiddling.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. It's a great model built extremely well.

Thanks for all comments so far.

Harry, yes, it is me in my avatar - before I became rich and famous.

I am far from any attempt of proselytizing anyone. What I said about opening hoods grew over the years. Still in the seventies I built most cars with open hoods, but then I found that this detracted from the car's specific lines. Closing a movable hood was mostly unsatisfactory for the reasons I mentioned already.

By the way if buying a second kit was too expensive (f.e. the former Pocher kits) it looked very attractive to display the kit engine and gearbox side to side with the car and replace the visible engine parts inside the engine bay by resin copies.