Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Lindberg BULLHORN T

RAT-T

Great kit, lots of good parts, tires so, so,hard vinyl. Goofy wheels, but the rest of it has good detail. :D Too bad there's no turtle deck or shortened pick up bed. :( but still, add these parts to any one of those Minicraft Model A's and your in. :P

Edited by Greg Myers

Long time no see for this 60's ex PYRO kit, ended up at Linberg's in the 70's & totally vanished since the early 80's...will surely be a welcomed kit.

Hope to see all the ex Pyro 1/16th scale show rods kits of the 60's back (if other 1/16 molds are still in this world!)

Bull Horn for a Hot Rod ????

About a year ago, maybe longer, someone signed up on the Coffin Corner forum from Atlantis (a model co.) asking about the chassis for the Laramie Stage Ghost. He said they had the molds for stage coach body, with all the trimmings, guns, skeletons, luggage etc., but they didn't have the chassis molds. I sure hope that these kits make a return to the shelves, including the Stage Ghost!!! These old Pyro 1/16 T's were very close to Monograms 1/8 Big T, kinda like they shrunk 'em..... :D

I picked up one of these kits at the LHS over the weekend (Hub Hobby, in Little Canada MN). Molded in white plastic this time, the chrome looks good. Tires are two-piece soft vinyl, so not planning on using them. It does remind me of a half-size Big T when going through the pieces and seeing how it goes together. Looks like it should be a lot of fun to customize too with other parts.

Interesting. It looks like Atlantis has some of the old Aurora molds. I wonder if the company is related to the family which owns the Aurora name and was trying to resurrect it a few years ago?

I think the only person I know who has a Stage Ghost kit is Chuck Naylor. Is the chassis under the Stage Ghost the same as the other 1/16 Pyro-based T-based kits?

Yes Casey, it has the same chassis as all the others T kits. Now if Round 2 could only make a deal to get the Stage Ghost body molds back!!! Kinda like they got the '34 pickup back in to AMT's hands again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've got the '79 issue, but never will build it. That said, it's a very '60s style model, with some nice parts (SBC, multi-carb intake manifold with multi-piece carbs, nice quick change rearend), but the interior tub is way outdated, the steel wheels have ejector pin marks on the outside faces/lips, and there are some odd details, like the woodgrain firewall.

IMHO, it's worth paying $20 for if you're using it for parts for another 1/16 project (i.e. the Minicraft Model As), or if you want a nostalgic trip down memory lane and aren't concerned with every single detail. The parts fit and engineering of the kit is not as nice as that found on Revell's 1/16 '34 Fords, but I don't see any cause for alarm on any of the parts or assemblies. You may need to really take your time with all the thin, fragile chrome front end related parts, but if you want a unique shelf model, this one'll work just fine.

yes Casey the chassis in the stage Ghost is the same as the Bull Horn . I was thinking about recasting the coach part when the Bull Horn comes out so you could build a Stage Ghost

thanks Chuck

I don't know how much interest would be in a casting of the coach for the Stage Ghost

I picked one up with the intention of working the drivetrain and suspension parts into a Minicraft (ex-Entex) Model A sedan. But the T is pretty neat. It does look like a scaled down Monogram Big T, except for some of the details. Changing a few things around (interior bucket, gas tank ends) will personalize it a bit. It shouldn't be too tough to scratch a bobbed pickup bed to replace the tank. I'll be checking engine parts from a couple other kits with Chevy engines (MPC '57 and '63 Corvettes) to see if anything interchanges.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2013 at 3:28 PM, RatRod said:

About a year ago, maybe longer, someone signed up on the Coffin Corner forum from Atlantis (a model co.) asking about the chassis for the Laramie Stage Ghost.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:54pm  

Post Options

Post by Deleted on Mar 13, 2010 at 3:54pm

Hello my name is pete from Atlantis Model Company we want to do a special run of this kit we have all the original tools for this kit we just need the chrome parts sprue that tool is lost anybody can help let me know also see my post in the wanted forum as well. Also need a copy of the instructions. Thanks www.atlantis-models.com

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:31pm  
Post Options

Post by Pete on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:31pm

Hello Pete from Atlantis here. I want to make an correction all three kits do use the same mold for the chrome parts which is lost. Lindberg/Hawk same company is running the kit for us. I have a choice of copying the original parts and making a new steel mold or resin options which mean the kits chrome parts will not be chromed but casted in resin I just dont know if it would fly. Lindberg just ran the flying saucer kit for us which we have in our warehouse we are doing all the packaging here. Just waiting for the boxes to come from the printer. Yes will will be doing some old Aurora kits as well.

Take the above two posts by Peter (assuming Vetri, of Atlantis Models) with a grain of salt, and remember it was posted almost nine years ago. Round2 reissued both the 1/16 Bullhorn T and Serpent kits, both of which are two variants of this same base kit. J Lloyd reissued the Bullhorn T in 2012 when they still owned the Lindberg/Hawk molds, so maybe there is hope for a future Laramie Stage Ghost reissue from Round2.
Edited by Casey

The history of Pyro's 1/16 scale hot rod T-based kits was posted on Round2's Collector Model Blog in 2017, and can still be viewed here: https://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/3705-lindberg-model-kits-big-116-scale-serpent-sho-go-rod/

I'm not going to re-post the content, but her here a few tidbits based upon my limited experience:

• All variants share the same frame, suspension, and engine parts, with the body and interior parts, wheels and tires, and other accessories being changed out for the various kits.
  • The Bullhorn T is the most traditional (and IMHO, the best starting point) for a traditional hot rod or parts donor.
  • The Gee-T and Sno-Skeeter share some very '60s custom body parts including a custom turtle deck integrally molded with the Ford Model T style body shell.
  • The cycle style fenders included with some version are nice designed, but have molded in scallops-- might be a good or bad thing, depending upon your tastes.
  • Tires are two piece, split down the center, so not ideal, and best replaced with a one-piece tire.
  • The slicks in my '79 issue Bullhorn T were blow molded in a very dark grey plastic, so I'd recommend the 2012 version if you have the choice.
  • The engine block/transmission/oil pan pieces are near identical copies of the SBC V8 found in the Monogram Big T
  • The Halibrand style quick change rearend is also nicely done, and makes a great donor part for other projects

A few pics of a recent 1/16 Pyro Sno-Skeeter listing on eBay:

pss.jpg.147cd8ccb73271a4b0492a9d75df9772.jpg

pyrosnoskeeter.jpg.cda42b3e71b9bb64f787571eabcce550.jpg

PyroSnoSkeeterChrome.jpg.e8a9d7cfb1f7a79242277c518493e5b8.jpg

pyrosnoskeeterparts1.jpg.f8502795360685eb4b6c59d961c7ff71.jpg

And one of the Laramie Stage Ghost...last one on eBay sold for $650+:

PyroLaramieStageGhost.jpg.41523bcd4559ffb3484981fda85d13bb.jpg

Edited by Casey

It's interesting to note the Sno Skeeter looks to have all the parts for front wheels instead of skis. The second set of wheels on the blue mold look nicer than what's in the Bullhorn T. The body looks inspired by the XR-6. Several similar vehicles were built in the late 60's for the shows. 

Finally it is interesting the body is one piece. I'm currently struggling with the front cowl on the Bullhorn. It seems impervious to any glue I have. The backside of the T glued up without any problems.

I wonder what the odds are of ever seeing the Sno-Skeeter are? I really like the nose piece! iBorg is correct that it resembles the XR-6. That is how I'd build it. Steelies all around, that XR nose, cycle fenders , and an open top. (I'd still have the ski rack, tho!)

You guys make me want to go cruise the 'Bay!

A few pics of the cycle style fenders I mentioned above, and the severely cut down custom steering wheel. I believe these were from a Gee-T built up I purchased on eBay long ago:

79461657_PXL_20210227_1639065532.thumb.jpg.90bb94c85314f33982fead5491e4d642.jpg

1256239811_PXL_20210227_1642515652.thumb.jpg.fccad695e52ce15cafc032ec124e7733.jpg

Here's another 1/16 Pyro Gee-T kit, partially built, but it provides a better view of the rear body area:

PyroGeeT.jpg.c8d1c2f63ec6156d3b88acaa1ef1193e.jpg

PyroGeeTBox.jpg.5f4b31224bd6e5defb1a73602a3f2576.jpg

Edited by Casey