Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chevy Nomad - - WIP

Ramfins59

I actually started this build about 6 months ago. After I finished the engine and chassis I couldn't decide on a color scheme for the car and it went back in the box. After watching Fast & Loud on Velocity channel when the guys at Gas Monkey Garage did up a '56 Nomad for Dale Earnhardt Jr., I liked the looks of the Nomad they did and decided to do my model in more or less the same color scheme of bright Light Green and Silver. I'll be using Tamiya's Light Green and Duplicolor Light Slate Metallic.

Here's what the completed engine looks like...

56CHEVYNOMADENGINE1024x747_zpsf2cc5aad.j

and here's what the chassis and engine looks like on the gold wire wheels I chose...

56CHEVYNOMADENGINEampCHASSIS1024x763_zps

I'll post pictures of the chassis the next time I take pictures.

Now that I've decided on a color scheme for the car, I've spent the last 3 days working on the interior since we've had crappy, rainy weather here (what else is new,,,). The interior is just taped together for the pictures. The carpet is flocked in dark green and the gas pedal and driver's side floor mat are painted semi-gloss black. the tops of the side panels are painted body color Tamiya Light Green, and the ribbed panel under that and part of the seats are painted flat, Beret Green. The seats and door panels are flocked in a silvergray and green. I added some green wire for piping and painted some pin heads the light green color for buttons. The cranks and handles are painted chrome silver. I still have to work on the dashboard and steering wheel.

56CHEVYNOMADINTERIOR31024x748_zpsedddb45

56CHEVYNOMADINTERIOR21024x763_zps5fe8b85

56CHEVYNOMADINTERIOR11024x652_zpsb901ee6

We're supposed to have a cool, dry weekend so hopefully I'll be able to paint all the body parts.

Thanks for checking in on this new project. Any and all comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

Rich, l enjoyed that episode of Fast and Loud also. Very sharp build they put out also. Your interior looks great. Love the pin head buttons. What type of wire did you use for the piping? l have been thinking of trying that but not sure what to use. Looking forward to watching your build...

Thanks very much guys.

Carl, I used green spark plug wire for the piping. On previous models I've used thinner detail wire (Detail Master) but I didn't have any in green). I drilled holes in the ends and corners, inserted a short length of the wire and glued it from the back side with CA glue, along with the painted pin heads. While it was pretty straight, I wound up gluing the wire down in a couple of spots on the top side with CA glue using a toothpick.

Yeah Jeff, I'm kind of second-guessing my choice of wheels based on the color scheme I'm planning. I may change back to the stock wheels if I can get the wheels off without destroying things since, if I remember correctly, I either CA glued or epoxied them on. We'll see how things look once I've got the body all painted. I sprayed the silver paint on today. If this nice weather holds up, hopefully I can mask off the silver and spray the green tomorrow.

Edited by Ramfins59

Thanks very much Chris and Ron, I really appreciate your encouraging words.

Here's a picture of the completed chassis that I didn't post yesterday.

56CHEVYNOMADCHASSIS1024x749_zps6700c9ba.

Today I completed work on the dashboard and steering wheel and assembled the whole interior. It looks pretty good.

56CHEVYNOMADINTERIORCOMPLETED11024x727_z

56CHEVYNOMADINTERIORCOMPLETED21024x750_z

Tomorrow I should be able to mask off the silver paint on the body and spray the green. Further updates as they happen. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks very much guys.

Carl, I used green spark plug wire for the piping. On previous models I've used thinner detail wire (Detail Master) but I didn't have any in green). I drilled holes in the ends and corners, inserted a short length of the wire and glued it from the back side with CA glue, along with the painted pin heads. While it was pretty straight, I wound up gluing the wire down in a couple of spots on the top side with CA glue using a toothpick.

Rich, sometimes you can find old slot car motors that were wound with green coated wire that is a little smaller than the plug wire you used on your seats. As long as you can get the motor apart and unwind the armature you will have a good supply of wire for detailing. (that's if you ever need wire smaller than plug wire) :)

Edited by blunc

Thanks very much for all your kind comments guys, I really appreciate it. I unmasked the fully painted body today and it really looks good. I tried getting the wheels off but they're on there really good. I don't think they look too bad with the paint colors.

56CHEVYNOMADPAINTED1_zps0d70593c.jpg

56CHEVYNOMADPAINTED2_zps6c1b7d3a.jpg

56CHEVYNOMADPAINTED31024x763_zpsf06a7fb9

I clearcoated the body after I took these pictures and I'll give it a day or so to fully dry and then I can polish and BMF it. In the meantime I'm working on the rest of the engine compartment stuff.

Thanks for following along on this build.

fnl-nomad-after.jpg

Rich, just noticed something... check out the vent window on the real car and the model. You may want to thin out the plastic to make the window larger prior to your BMF. Not having the model in front of me, I'd thin the plastic on the three sides, and take it off the back edge. You may get away with BMFing the back edge of the glass.

56CHEVYNOMADPAINTED2_zps6c1b7d3a.jpg