Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nice kitty...

charlie8575

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good thread. It is a typical problem when buying gluebombs off eBay. Sadly, it take three buys of parts to make one whole car sometimes.

The glass is a re-occurring problem too. Fused to the roof with no hope of successful removal. Only option is dremeling the center of the glass out and any other area with too much glue. My guess is a replacement AMT replacement '64 Impala glass is the solution, maybe with no modification.

As I read these postings, it reminds me of how many times I have had this problem. When buying built-ups, the phrase from the movie Indiana Jone and the Last Crusade comes to mind, "Choose wisely". Of course, this thread is about a challenge to resurrect and old model.

This is a good thread. It is a typical problem when buying gluebombs off eBay. Sadly, it take three buys of parts to make one whole car sometimes.

The glass is a re-occurring problem too. Fused to the roof with no hope of successful removal. Only option is dremeling the center of the glass out and any other area with too much glue. My guess is a replacement AMT replacement '64 Impala glass is the solution, maybe with no modification.

As I read these postings, it reminds me of how many times I have had this problem. When buying built-ups, the phrase from the movie Indiana Jone and the Last Crusade comes to mind, "Choose wisely". Of course, this thread is about a challenge to resurrect and old model.

Very well said Bob and now some are using super glue. I rebuilt one glue bomb and the second was to bad to rebuild because of the glue...

• 2 weeks later...

Well....still poking away at it.

The glue REALLY fused a lot of stuff, and it's been very, very slow working to get things disassembled as carefully as possible.

On the bright side, the engine that came in the AMT '62 Buick is built and will be ready for service. One other guy found a picture of the air cleaner decal and I'm playing with that.

Hopefully, updates soon.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, I was about to post a progress report.

After months of soaking, the decals are mostly off! Not only that, a lot of the yellowing is going away, revealing some nice clean white plastic underneath. It also looks like the water might be working its way into the window-roof joint a little. I'll keep playing with it.

The interior is pretty well seized. I'll probably have to brush-paint the whole thing assembled, unless I can get it apart. That should be unadulterated joy, but we'll do the best we can anyway.

Worst-case scenario, Chris Brame (ChrisBCritter) was nice enough to send me a sectioned roof from a '63 Impala in case worst comes to absolute worst. Thanks, Chris!

I'll try to get some pictures up when I have a photo-worthy progress report.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

This thread shows a man of patience, perseverance and a true love of old cars because only love would enable a person to have the patience and determination to keep the little car as near original as possible. Charlie, you and I seem to think alike except you have more patience than I do.

I started to rebuild a glue bomb Camaro to replicate my son's '81 Berlinetta and the freezer trick really worked for me but it took multiple visits of the body into the freezer to get the parts loose - especially the glass. The Camaro was to have been a Christmas gift for him two Christmas's ago - I really need to get back on that one. I admire your determination to save the original chassis and parts as I'd be doing the same thing. I know that for removing decals off of die casts, lighter fluid and some Q Tips are the way to go. I kind of think that lighter fluid may be harmful to styrene but maybe it may work for other applications.

I'm pretty partial to glue bombs because I love 1:1 old cars and it's the same sort of thing. It is much more satisfying to me personally, to save an old model and rebuild it than it is to build one right out of the box. I've revived a few 1:1 equivalents of your Buick and yeah - it's a pretty special feeling of accomplishment once you have waded through the quagmire of challenges, broken and missing pieces and the grunge. Lookin' good - keep up the good work,

Talk about a soaker! ... may the glue be gone

Well, Mike, I don't know if the glue will actually dissolve in the water, but like I said, it does seem to be working its way into the seam. Perhaps it becoming a little more porous. I put the body in upside down to try and get a little better coverage on the roof, and perhaps that'll help things along a little.

So, I'm more of the approach of "may the adhesive power be gone." I can chip/sand off the glue later.

This thread shows a man of patience, perseverance and a true love of old cars because only love would enable a person to have the patience and determination to keep the little car as near original as possible. Charlie, you and I seem to think alike except you have more patience than I do.

I started to rebuild a glue bomb Camaro to replicate my son's '81 Berlinetta and the freezer trick really worked for me but it took multiple visits of the body into the freezer to get the parts loose - especially the glass. The Camaro was to have been a Christmas gift for him two Christmas's ago - I really need to get back on that one. I admire your determination to save the original chassis and parts as I'd be doing the same thing. I know that for removing decals off of die casts, lighter fluid and some Q Tips are the way to go. I kind of think that lighter fluid may be harmful to styrene but maybe it may work for other applications.

I'm pretty partial to glue bombs because I love 1:1 old cars and it's the same sort of thing. It is much more satisfying to me personally, to save an old model and rebuild it than it is to build one right out of the box. I've revived a few 1:1 equivalents of your Buick and yeah - it's a pretty special feeling of accomplishment once you have waded through the quagmire of challenges, broken and missing pieces and the grunge. Lookin' good - keep up the good work,

Gary, thanks for the kind words. It does take patience and perseverance to get a model- especially a glue bomb like this, to acceptable, if not fantastic, condition.

The goal for this model will be, like it is for all of mine, to have a nice shelf model. I don't really do contests or shows, although I might bring something to NNL if I get it done. I might show this at Classic Plastic and MassCar, though, with the pictures, no matter the outcome.

I'm now also starting to give thought to colors. With the interior in its pretty-well fused state that no amount of freezing/thawing seems to relieve, I'm probably going to go with a black interior to simplify the painting. A vinyl top will also be necessary to help cover the repairs needed to the roof post-glue-melt.

I was originally toying with Marlin Blue (AKA Chevy Silver Blue,) with a white interior and vinyl top, but I really don't like blue with a black interior. I'm now toying with Silver Cloud with a black interior/vinyl top. I saw a picture of a Wildcat convertible in Silver Cloud with a black interior, and I thought it was pretty sharp.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

Major breaking news...

I haven't had chance to take pictures, but there is a major development in getting things moving again.

Pictures will be up within the next thirty-six hours.

Let's just say one of the nicest guys I've met in the hobby came through in a big way.

Charlie Larkin

Just a couple of things for future reference, if you ever have to use tape on a model for anything & are left with a sticky residue, you can use good old WD-40 to take it off with no ill side effects, as to using lighter fluid & a cue-tip to remove decals because it works on die casts, most die casts don't use decals, that's why the lighter fluid trick works so well you're actually taking off paint, not a decal.