Model Cars Magazine Forum

$250,000 for a Mustang knockoff?

• 2 months later...

We're the writers so ignorant as to have also passed up the newer Camaro style headlights and 60s style Camaro taillights? And I don't mean stupid, just ignorant as to what those design elements really are.

Edited by Skydime

We're the writers so ignorant as to have also passed up the newer Camaro style headlights and 60s style Camaro taillights? And I don't mean stupid, just ignorant as to what those design elements really are.

The writer of this particular article may not be all that familiar with American pony cars. His name is "Victor Ivanov" and his phrasing is distinctly non-native-English-speaker. For instance " ...The model reminds to an old Ford Mustang...". Reminds TO?? Etc. So what we take for granted as obvious GM styling elements borrowed and hashed in to a Mustaro might be not quite so apparent to him. Ya' just never know. The design has been discussed on this board before too, and I'm STILL curious to know how Ford can let so iconic and instantly recognizable a profile, with a horsey company name, get passed off as something new with only minor face-lifting.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The name sounds like something you would purchase from 'Bass Pro Shop, it might work for some kind of fishing boat. I can see Camaro in the headlight area, (after looking at it for awhile) but the rear end (tail lights), are almost direct copy's of 69-70 Charger, they just turned them upside down. But closer to 67-68 Shelby GT 500 than Camaro. Overall though I only see one thing looking at this car, Mustang.

Does anyone know anything about Equus Automotive? Where do they hale from? Have they ever produced a car before? I mean what's up with this? The writer phrases English like a Russian (Victor Ivanov, pass the vodka) at the very least eastern european.

The name sounds like something you would purchase from 'Bass Pro Shop, it might work for some kind of fishing boat. I can see Camaro in the headlight area, (after looking at it for awhile) but the rear end (tail lights), are almost direct copy's of 69-70 Charger, they just turned them upside down. But closer to 67-68 Shelby GT 500 than Camaro. Overall though I only see one thing looking at this car, Mustang.

Does anyone know anything about Equus Automotive? Where do they hale from? Have they ever produced a car before? I mean what's up with this? The writer phrases English like a Russian (Victor Ivanov, pass the vodka) at the very least eastern european.

Their contact information says they're in Rochester Hill, Michigan, for all that might be worth.

My dad actully works at the company that's building this. This car is actully the third design. The first two were shot down by ford because they looked to much like the mustang. Ford let them build this but would not let them use the coyote motor that is why they went with the ls. They are currently building three for the detroit autoshow. I have seen this car in person many many times and it is a beautiful machine.

They are in auburn hills michigan. I believe the owner of the company lives in italy. From what I have been told he inherited millons of dollars. He is an amateur race car driver over there.

why is everyone up in arms about the Chevy engine? how long have people been stuffing 350s in Model A's? Not to mention the Chevy LS based engines are pretty wide open for options (not that the mod motors aren't) and you can get power out of them for less than you can the ford DOHC motors.

As a lifelong Mustang fan, I think this looks better than the original. This is a bad A looking car. $250K is probably what you'd spend on an original and a frame-up restoration. I'm only guessing, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If I was in the market, I'd definitely be looking at one of these. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever be able to buy toys on this level.

I hope it does well, it's a good looking machine with a solid powerplant.

• 5 weeks later...