Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 5.0 Coyote motor?

Agreed - it could be a good subject if offered as a standalone piece in a Parts Pack-type kit. And, as long as I'm wishing & hoping, it would be terrific to also finally get a 427 Cammer in a Parts Pack. . .And, in order to keep the tooling costs down & to reduce the development time, they'd be just fine (at least for me) w/out all the fussy internal parts found in some prior Parts Pack-type engines, as almost no one never sees them, anyway.

Edited by buffalobill

Casters use existing kit parts to build up stuff like this and there isn't anything comparable to a modern day Ford engine on the market, so it would be a tough build. Maybe someone with good CAD skills and access to either an actual motor for reference or an engineering file could do it, but it wouldn't be cheap. Personally, I'd love to see the line of Ford Racing crate motors available in some form from either the regular or after market. especially the Aluminator. That's one sexy hunk of alloy.

Dale

• 3 weeks later...

Terry, hopefully you saw this, but if not, Revell is releasing an all new kit of the 2013 Boss 302 which should contain the Coyote engine: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80411&page=1

Like he said, the only bad news for those that want to put it in a Hot Rod, is it only comes with the auto trans,,,,for now.

How difficult would it be to simply saw off the automatic trans from the 5.0's engine block and graft on any number of 4, 5, or 6 speed manual transmissions & bell housings from other kits or aftermarket sources, depending on one's application, whether it's a hot rod, street-machine, or a box-stock Mustang? As for Revell releasing a 2013 Mustang 5.0 w/ an auto trans, I guess we'll have to wait & see what's really in that kit. But, I'm glad to finally be able to get a Coyote engine as an alternative to small & big block Fords.

Hopefully, we'll have a SOHC 427 Cammer soon - perhaps in Moebius' yet to-be-released Comet?

Either the Coyote 5.0 or a 427 Cammer would be an awesome engine to swap into Revell's '57 Ford, or into AMT's old, but still very good '49 Ford. or for that matter, into their '56, '60, or '63 Fords, or their '66 Fairlane.

Edited by buffalobill

Where is this speculation about an automatic transmission coming from???? If Revell is indeed releasing a '13 Boss 302 it will have to have a manual transmission to be accurate. As far as a 427 cammer, I would assume the Moeibus Comet will have a 289.

Edited by Rob Hall

re: the comment about an auto trans being in Revell's 2013 Mustang kit, I was only making reference to an earlier post in this thread. I agree - it would be foolish for Revell to make such a blunder like that!

As for Moebius' '65 Comet having an option for a SOHC Cammer - I have no idea if they'd ever do that, but suspect that they probably wouldn't, as an AFX Comet w/ either a 427 side-oiler, or a SOHC Cammer would require a considerable number of new parts, and probably would entail making irreversible alterations to a stock Comet body, chassis, & interior, essentially becoming an all-new tool. But, perhaps an enterprising resin caster might comsider doing a Cammer engine, plus also offer the other pieces needed do an accurate AFX car, using Moebius' Comet as a doner. . .