Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 1966 Volvo P1800s "Bringing this back to the bench!"

Kennyboy

hey Ken, here's something to think about ..

There is a guy I just met that would have his gears turning over that photo Dan. LOL

A guy from the Kustom Kemps group who likes to build drag cars out of things you would not expect..... :D

That front end has chopped & narrowed AC Cobra written all over it

Already sized it up with the remnants of Cobra parts I have left from the Ferrari build......The Cobra front end is too narrow and rounded for this. The ideas are helping my thought process though.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while since I gave an update on this, I have been working feverishly on the rear end of this build......I started all over again in the best interest of the finished product. Used a Maserati 3500GT model kit for the basis of the build and began from there. Starting with the rear quarters....cut off the existing ones and rotated them horizontal and shaped to a rough point.

The rear quarter tops are from the AMT 67 GTO, the rear quarter fronts are left over pieces from the 57 chevy, the rear rolled pan is from the resin Thunderbird front bumper, the rear plate bracket is from the 53 Corvette trunk, and the roof is from the Tamiya 911 GT3. Still not sure if I will leave the doors opening or not....will be more work if I do. Still has a LONG way to go!

It's coming along better at this point though I think......

P1020357_zpsb61e41f4.jpg

P1020356_zps46fb5cb5.jpg

P1020352_zps21f3d2ae.jpg

P1020353_zpsc949cfad.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy

Very good job so far and an excellent project. I am a fan of older Volvo's. I've owned a couple and my brother has had a few including an 1800ES.

Too bad the only current/(easily obtained) kits available that I am aware of are the Tamiya 850's in a few versions.

The stretched Maser is definitely starting to work, but I think the greenhouse may be a tad high...it just may be the perspective too. Lots and lots of mods left to go to get that P1800, but you're certainly on the right track. Nice going.

Thanks Bill! The roof is just sitting on top of the body at the moment.....it will be a scale 2 inches lower when settled.

Ken, You are hitting another one out of the ballpark. I'm liking this one also.

Thanks Greg! You will probably see this one in the near future as well! ;):D

Great Progress Ken!

B)

Thanks Ira! You (of all people) know what I am up against here! ;)

Very good job so far and an excellent project. I am a fan of older Volvo's. I've owned a couple and my brother has had a few including an 1800ES.

Too bad the only current/(easily obtained) kits available that I am aware of are the Tamiya 850's in a few versions.

Thank you sir. This will be offered up when done for resin casting so others will be able to enjoy it as well........soon.

I have barely begun to "sculpt" the body into final shape ;) . It will undergo a metamorphosis soon......I guarantee you that. Then, you will see all the smoothness come in to match the 1:1.

Would love to know where Matt got the grille material from.......need it for this AND the Ferrari. :)

Looks good Ken......

Thank you Kerry!