Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 1966 Volvo P1800s "Bringing this back to the bench!"

Kennyboy

With the Ferrari approaching the casting point, I have had a few hours to work on the next project.......the Vox Volvo 1966 P1800.

I will try to do this car justice as much as possible, but there are very few parts that look like this car (I have found.)

Below is the car I am attempting to re-produce, this will hopefully also get cast in resin soon when completed.

vox_volvo_p1800_2.jpg

vox_volvo_p1800_3.jpg

vox-volvo-p1800-1.jpg

Where I am at on this so far:

P1020340_zpsc66315a7.jpg

P1020341_zps20080b9a.jpg

The vehicles cut up so far are: 911 turbo (roof), Jimmy Flintstone 2003 Thunderbird panel delivery (main body), 56 Chevy (trunk), 57 Chevy (front fenders and roof top.) Soon to chop will be a 67 GTO for various components.

Edited by Kennyboy

I think a maserati 3500 gt would be a great donor for this project, you might even be able to use most of the body shell and interior. and they're not too hard to find.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Maserati_3500GT_silver_vr_TCE.jpg

You are right Mike that would be a great body to start with.......now to find one (that doesn't cost $30 or more.) :( Just checked on fleabay, cheapest was around $30 shipped.

The subtlety and balance of this design really demand getting it pretty almost-dead-on-close, to maintain the striking presence the original has. It won't be easy, but I'm rooting for you.

I think you'd be WAY ahead of the game if you could locate a 1/25 Air-Trax resin P1800 kit as a starting point...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67167

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bill!

The idea here is to build it as cheap as possible then offer it up thru Jimmy so the common people can buy it without emptying their wallet and put a very common chassis under it.

I understand that, but I tend to look at what my time is worth on a project like this. If I were building a master to cast "so the common people can buy it without emptying their wallet and put a very common chassis under it", Id definitely start with a well-proportioned kit offering, if one were available, as a basis for the custom master. All I'm getting at is that the absolute correct proportions are so very necessary to get this car to look right, I think it would be HUGELY easier to start with something where all the really hard work was already done. If the Air Trax kit costs $150, I STILL think it would be money well spent to avoid hours and hours and hours having to get those proportions spot-on from a lot of disparate bits. Just my humble opinion, and really just trying to help. :)

Bill, NOT tryin to start NUTHIN here, but, hey some guys REALLY enjoy doin it like this. Theres a guy in my club who's been doin a Truimph Spitfire just like that. He's useing sheetstock, tubeing and ALOT of imagineering to get him a nonexistant kit. I've done a few conversions in my time, but NEVER did one as a TOTALLY HAND BUILT peice, but it's lookin pretty good to me. A buck fifty is ALOT of money to spend on somehing he may want to change, and THAT is BEFORE shipping. I personally comment you Ken, for even attempting it! You GO, Bro!

Bill, NOT tryin to start NUTHIN here, but, hey some guys REALLY enjoy doin it like this. Theres a guy in my club who's been doin a Truimph Spitfire just like that. He's useing sheetstock, tubeing and ALOT of imagineering to get him a nonexistant kit. I've done a few conversions in my time, but NEVER did one as a TOTALLY HAND BUILT peice, but it's lookin pretty good to me. A buck fifty is ALOT of money to spend on somehing he may want to change, and THAT is BEFORE shipping. I personally comment you Ken, for even attempting it! You GO, Bro!

George, I certainly understand the preference to cobble something together to end up with an accurate model, rather than to start with a stock baseline shell, and Ken has shown his impressive talent and skill in doing this kind of build already on his Ferrari Mexico thread. The Ferrari is kind of a garish, in-your-face car in 1:1, and the Volvo is much more subtle and understated, and getting the proportions exactly right will be critical in pulling it off in scale. I'm sure he's capable of doing it...I just was saying it would be tremendously easier to start with a body that already had the major lines, proportions and (hopefully) symmetry of the 1:1 car.

As far as doing a Spitfire goes, there IS a Lindberg GT6 kit which would make a perfect starting point (as a GT6 is just a Spitfire with a steel fastback roof grafted on).

My sincere commendations also go out to Ken for even attempting this particular car from bits and pieces.To quote George, "You GO, Bro!" :)

George, I certainly understand the preference to cobble something together to end up with an accurate model, rather than to start with a stock baseline shell, and Ken has shown his impressive talent and skill in doing this kind of build already on his Ferrari Mexico thread. The Ferrari is kind of a garish, in-your-face car in 1:1, and the Volvo is much more subtle and understated, and getting the proportions exactly right will be critical in pulling it off in scale. I'm sure he's capable of doing it...I just was saying it would be tremendously easier to start with a body that already had the major lines, proportions and (hopefully) symmetry of the 1:1 car.

As far as doing a Spitfire goes, there IS a Lindberg GT6 kit which would make a perfect starting point (as a GT6 is just a Spitfire with a steel fastback roof grafted on).

My sincere commendations also go out to Ken for even attempting this particular car from bits and pieces.To quote George, "You GO, Bro!" :)

Thanks guys! I am pretty close where I am at right now on the build, and I don't even have the front end glued together yet. I feel confident that I can nail this if I can get the front end together. Been looking for an Aston Oscar, but I may have a line on a Maserati 3500gt that is rather close to what I need. ;)