Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tiny Lund's '63 Galaxie Daytona 500 Winner

gasser59

Started this build a couple of weeks ago. Began with the AMT '63 Galaxie and since the chassis looks like it came from a promo I've recently picked up the '60 Starliner kit. I just can't build a curbside, I don't think I have it in me. I'm not going all out on this one as its for my dad for Christmas but it will have some details like plug wires and seat belts. Tiny and my dad were high school friends and I've heard numerous funny stories of Tiny's escapades.

A little back story on Tiny. He was a mountain of a man at 6'4" and 240 pounds. Tiny also loved a good laugh and practical jokes. He had been driving the early Nascar circuit as well as modified and others but was without a major sponsor and needed a car to drive. In late 1962/early1963, he was living in South Carolina where he owned a fish camp. In early February, he ventured on down to Daytona a few weeks before the 500 hoping to find a team that needed a driver.

Marvin Paunch was the driver for the Wood Brothers '63 Galaxie 500 car number 21 and while he was test driving a Maseratti on the Daytona track during Speed Week prior to the 500, it overturned and caught fire with Marvin still inside. Tiny and a few other bystanders ran to the burning car and while lifting the car along with a few others, Tiny pulled Marvin out. While Marvin was in the hospital recovering from his severe burns, he told the Wood brothers he wanted Tiny to take his place. They agreed and the rest is history.

I'll get some pictures posted tonight of my progress.

Please stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59

OK, here's a photo update with a bit of narration.

Here's the side of the original body where I've started to remove the trim.

OriginalTrim_zps35b16a5a.jpg

Well I got carried away and realized too late that I trimmed off too much of the upper lip. In fact, I completely took it off. Looks really bad.

TooMuchTrimming_zps4bad3edc.jpg

Had to purchase another kit and was a bit more careful on this one. This is shown with a coat of Tamiya white primer.

CorrectTrim2_zps77c60aa6.jpg

Here's a shot of the original kit chassis. Everything's molded in and I just can't work with this.

PromoChassis_zpsc7420e89.jpg

Stay tuned for more.

Been working on the engine and have most of it done. Distributor is wired up and will be put in soon once the glue on wires dries.

Here's the distributor wired along with the red spark plug boots.

Wires_zps1f2d83b8.jpg

Here's a couple shots of the engine.

Engine1_zpsaf4e3353.jpg

Engine2_zpsb536d75d.jpg

Thanks for your interest and as always, comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this has not gone as well as planned. The Skyliner kit interior is deeper and wider than the Galaxie body and I'm running out of time to get this done. As much as I hate to do this, I'm going back to the Galaxie chassis and interior tub. I've been working on this steadily and have not come to this conclusion lightly.

I did get the decals back and am so excited to get the body painted and get them applied.

I'll post some progress pics in the near future.

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...

Well...the interior is complete as well as much as the engine will show from underneath because this is going to be a curbside and I'll glue the hood closed. Its going to be in a case up on a shelf so no need for an opening hood. Just waiting for decent enough weekend weather to lay down the first layer of white paint on the body. Hopefully this weekend I'll get that done.

Although I haven't updated this build in awhile, I've been working on it steadily. It is now painted and the decals have started to go on. A bit more to do like the head and tail light covers, roll bar padding, BMF the body / trim and a few incidentals. I bought the display case yesterday and created a Daytona crowd backdrop. This is the Revell one. I'll replace the supplied roadway surface for some black fine grit sandpaper. Tiny's name was written on a piece of duct tape covering the original Marvin Paunch name on each door. I've replicated that with the decals. Gas filler neck is sticking out the rear grill work and was fabricated with aluminum tubing and rod.

Now for some photos.

DecalsDriversSide_zps2fc84a92.jpg

DriversRear_zpsa1f769a0.jpg

Comments welcome. Thanks for your interest and following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the feedback.

A bit more done last night but not as much as I'd hoped. You see, I'm the package wrapper in our house and my DW is the gift shopper. That way I stay out of the stores. I know I'm getting the better end of that deal. I spent a couple of hours last night wrapping and hope to get a bit more bench time in tonight. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to cover the four headlight holes with flat round discs that are the exact size I need. A hole punch is too large of diameter. I cut some plastic rod to fit in from the backside but didn't like how it didn't cover the headlight trim ring. It needs to be something applied from the front the exact diameter of the headlight trim ring.

The last of the decals were applied and I set the kit windshield in thinking it would need some fitment fixing and it dropped right in. That's a relief. I'll get some update photos posted either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for following along.

Got some foil put on last night and figured out a way to make the headlight and taillight covers. I took an appropriate size diameter of a section of aluminum tubing and thinned out the inside lip to make a sharp edge. I then put it in my drill and used it as a hollow drill bit through some thin styrene. Worked out quite well. They got a coat of paint and hopefully will be applied tonight. Still a bit more foiling to do plus the straps on the rear windows.

Here's a couple of photos.

SideShot_zps89932aa6.jpg

Headlights-Grill_zpsa47373d0.jpg

Taillight-Grill_zps51bd1179.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for your interest and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the info James. I found out about the red scallops on the rear after I painted the car and still deciding if I want to paint them on. Funny I never noticed them when I was watching a promo video of the race from Autolite and Firestone that I bought online. The kit red taillight lens looked funny to me and I have other uses for them so I painted the new cutouts the same red as the body too see how they look in the rear chrome bumper piece. I'll know more tonight. Thanks again.

Here's a pic of the tubing for drilling the round disks. Sorry the picture is a little blurry. Although it doesn't look like it, the red disks are the same color as the red on the body.

LightCovers_zps14d7906f.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

I've been wanting to build that car for a long time. Taping off the scallopes for the front and rear have kept me from painting the body. I even thought about using decals cut in the scalope shape and painted red to achieve the look. There is an article in both Model Cars and SA that tells how to use the new AMT 60 chassie with the interior bucket from the AMT Galaxie. Take a little effort but I figure the reslts will be worth it. If I remember correctly the tail lights have a chrome piece that fits over them in the stock application. May come in the kit. Just can't remember. Anyway your the Lund Galaxie looks really nice. Keep up the good work.

Edited by james460

Thanks James. Let me know when you're ready and I'll connect you with my decal printer. Hopefully he still has the file I sent him, if not, we'll get you set up. I was thinking the same thing on the red scallops being part of the decal sheet. I also found online the exact colors for the white and the red. I'll go and find them and post them here as an edit. Keep watching.

I may build another for myself. I really like the looks of this built up car.

On edit: the colors were Corinthian White (a “creamy” white) and Rangoon Red.

Here's the link: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/31/cup-fifty-years-later-new-galaxie/

Edited by gasser59