Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy Veterans Day !

KingSix

Thanks and ditto's.

Don't post much but have enjoyed this site for a long time.

While deployed in Iraq as OIC of a combat stress clinic a few years back, I was able to start a model building club. My motivation was rather selfish... my #s were low and I felt I needed a "hook" to get people to drop by the clinic. Started a model club (as well as some other unofficial non-sanctioned activities) with the very generous help of many contributors. It drew attention and accomplished my goal of providing a non-threatening way of bringing soldiers in.

We eventually encorporated model building into some of our therapeutic groups in a more formal way, but the biggest benefit was drawing a bunch of people together on a regular basis where folks could unwind, have a little fun, enjoy the camaradery of others and escape from the difficulties of deployment.

When I left, I turned over all the donations I'd accumulated to the base welfare and morale team who were amazed at the volume of kits, supplies and tools I'd received over the deployment.

For this , I owe an overdue "thanks" to the modeling community in general and specifically to fellow modelers who donated.

Happy Veteran's Day

I to am a Vet from the Viet Nam era. I wish all Vets a happy Veterans day. U.S. Army 1967-1970. I spent most of my time on Okinawa in the 2nd log Cmd. at Naha Port. Have a great day guys and gals. I wish that every day could be as today. Dan Popeko

Edited by 59 Impala

Happy Veterans day, Thank you for the courage and for having the guts to be sent to wars and be deployed, i cant even myself imagine how scary that is, to be in actual combat in places such as vietnam, okinawa or bastogne or many other military targets of various wars. Thank you again because i would never be able to even get on the airplane that sent those man parachuting down into the enemy lines, I can no longer step on any plane anymore due to a very large personal fear, A phobia i suppose. Would be interesting to hear combat stories and such or what it was like to hear rapid gunfire or be next to such danger. I cant even imagine.

I can't believe someone would have the unmitigated gall to move this post to the "off topic lounge" .. if it wasn't for Veterans like us, you wouldn't have this page.. shameful ... very very shameful !!!!

No disrespect meant to veterans. But "Happy Veteran's Day" is not a model car or automotive-related topic... so no matter how noble the sentiment, it belongs in "Off Topic."

Eugene, during and after those relatively few years that I was in, I knew some soldiers who did see combat; I know a civilian or two who were on the receiving end, too. Both sides, friend and foe, Vietnam and WWII. Those who did experience do not often talk about it. Most of the "war stories" that you'll hear from those who have served are just tales of their general experiences of military life in garrison or away from any sort of combat. Those who did experience combat would likely tell you to be grateful and thankful that you haven't. I did not see combat; in a way, I feel... cheated?... yet, I might not be here to be writing this if I had. I don't think I'm a coward but I have absolutely no idea of how I would have handled myself under fire and while I did enlist and take the oath, I am ultimately glad that I was spared the awful, brutal reality that is modern combat. Perhaps if I were 38 years younger I might feel differently, but not now. But there are troops who just keep getting rotated back out there as we read this...

Edited by johnbuzzed

I gave my Teen age years to serve in the United States Marine Corps, as many other's have, and if I were able to I'd do again!

I was 17, not quite 18 upon my original enlistment. 22 not quite 23 when I graduated from the Platoon Leaders Course.

Most folks don't realize how young the members of the various branches of service really are.

Think about this, I was a 23 year old Captain with responsibility for hundreds of lives and tens of millions of dollars of equipment spread across the Pacific Rim. No one I worked for questioned my ability, therefore I did not question myself for I was a United States Marine.

G

Edited by Agent G

attachicon.gifth_marinescorpsemblem4.jpgOnce again to Harry P.

You sure aren't aware of the Brotherhood that many Men, Women, Father's, Wife's Aunt's & Uncle's Share in our Fight for Freedom, and you tell us that's it's not right(WHAT) true this is a Modeling Forum, and many of us haved Served Our Beloved Country, and you say it's posted in the wrong place, question to you Harry P. did you Serve our Country, is there a Human Bone in your Body, or are you made of Plastic, many you been smelling to much Glue!

Harry P. I guess that you'll delete this, seeing that you have the way to do so,

At the age of 75 and having come to a forum were we should all be Very Proud that we can call Ourself's Free People, for what we do here, or I should say what many Fie People do here, because we can, and not worry about someome busting our door's down, or being Bombed out, these postings should be posted in eveery Section, and not to have someone like you to have the nerve to say what you said, hang you head down in Shame Harry P.

Well now I guess that this will be my last Post, Like FRW Forum I was Kicked off because I stood up for what was Right, as I'll alway's do!

Sgt. Michael F. Akai USMC !!!

Well said sir !! Semper Fi !!!

What made me smile tonight (well, officially last night now) was at lodge this evening, when one of our men showed up.

At 92, he is a retired major general of the Massachusetts State Gaurd (which I believe has since been merged into the national gaurd), who came to lodge in his dress blues. He then led the Pledge of Allegiance as we opened and the first item of business was the donations to the VA that another brother who's a veteran organizes.

My dad works at a VA hospital and I see what he does it for every time I go in there. I've met some of the finest people I've ever known at that hospital, even if I knew them for only a few minutes. And each of them wore one of the colors of the Armed Services of this nation.

Each of these very special people deserve our thanks and gratitude.

And in other nations that mark November 11 as "Armistice Day" (still its proper name in the U.S.), I ask that each of you this week take a moment to thank a member of your armed services for fighting for your rights.

Charlie Larkin

I am a bit late to this, as I spent my evening collecting free things for us Vets. Thanks to all who have and are serving. I recieved a free oil change for being a vet, a free dinner for being a vet, and a free haircut for being a vet.