Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

289 HiPo

RancheroSteve

For the past few months I've put aside most of the other projects on my bench to concentrate on producing a set of master parts (to be cast by a well-known caster) of a detailed and accurate early Ford 289 HiPo with a five-bolt bellhousing and narrow bolt pattern T10 transmission. Most of the parts are heavily modified from various kit sources and completely scratchbuilt in some cases. Photo-etched brass surfaces were created for block, head, belhousing and transmission surfaces.

I made these engine master parts for use in The Lynx Project, which has been organized to explain and explore the missing Mercury Lynx concept cars 1964. Until fairly recently, no one knew that these concept cars existed. I'm part of a large project organized to re-tell the story, in 1/25 scale, of how these cars were designed, built at both Dearborn Steel Tubing and Bertone, and eventually hidden in an Indiana warehouse to escape the company's "crush the concept car" order.

A few examples of the parts follow. Keep in mind these are in an "almost done" stage - final surface finish still needs to be applied in most cases.

The block:

blockrear2-vi.jpg

Bellhousing:

bellhousing3-vi.jpg

Block with timing chain cover:

blocktimingcover2-vi.jpg

Transmission, which will be getting a p/e linkage:

transmission9-vi.jpg

Intake manifold with thermostat housing and carb spacer:

intakespacer-vi.jpg

Cylinder head and valve cover:

cylinderheadvalvecover2-vi.jpg

Generator bracket:

generatorbrackettoprear-vi.jpg

Block with timing cover, water pump and balancer:

ktimingcoverwaterpumpbalancer4-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking.

If you'd like to read more about this project, check this out: http://www.thelynxproject.org/

What is the big tube sticking out of the front of the block, and how come you didn't model the HiPo intake manifold?

First, keep in mind this represents the 1963 version of the HiPo (which was an option on the Fairlane that year).

The tube coming out of the timing cover is the oil fill tube (as Maindrian Pace pointed out). In 1964, they went to a valve cover breather/fill cap arrangement.

The manifold shown IS the HiPo manifold, which is essentially the same manifold as all 4v 289s. The manifold you're probably thinking of is the aluminum hi-rise, which was a Total Performance/Shelby aftermarket option.

You are right, the HiPo 289 I had, had the alluminum intake, and no filler tube. It was in a Mustang, and later in put in a Pinto. :) I've never seen the 63 vintage.

The intake on my 68 J code 302 Mustang was cast iron and look just like the one you have modeled.

You are doing some really great work. I look forward to more pictures.

• 2 months later...

Man, if the details were geared for a '65 model I'd buy one! I'm collecting parts to assemble a replica of my dad's '65 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe, K code car!

I'd also like to add, My dad's 289 HiPo has the COBRA embossed 4barrel intake, which you almost always see in aluminum.... but the one on my dad's car, is cast iron!

Yes (thanks for asking) - the parts were cast out came out very well indeed!

crateparts-vi.jpg

There is a small chance that these parts will be offered as a kit at some point, but until it happens I can't say much more.

Steve, put me on the list for a few if they ever become available.

Thanks guys - I'll be sure to post here if & when anything happens as far commercial availability.

Keep in mind that this engine is only really correct for a '63 or early '64 car (after that Ford went to the six bolt bellhousing) Fairlanes, Galaxies, Falcons, Comets and Mustangs built before 8/64 had five bolt blocks.

Keep in mind that this engine is only really correct for a '63 or early '64 car (after that Ford went to the six bolt bellhousing) Fairlanes, Galaxies, Falcons, Comets and Mustangs built before 8/64 had five bolt blocks.

Nope, that bellhousing was used on mustangs all the way up to at least Nov 25 1964. That was when my 65 Mustang was built and it had the 5 bolt bellhousing, and the 3 bolt crank shaft pulley. It also had a bunch of other 64 1/2 items too but it was a 65. Ford must have cleaning out the storeroom when they made my old stang.

Keep up the good work, it is nice to see someone working up some nice old Hi-Po ford parts.

Edited by DaytonaTim

Nope, that bellhousing was used on mustangs all the way up to at least Nov 25 1964. That was when my 65 Mustang was built and it had the 5 bolt bellhousing, and the 3 bolt crank shaft pulley. It also had a bunch of other 64 1/2 items too but it was a 65. Ford must have cleaning out the storeroom when they made my old stang.

I don't doubt it! Maybe I should have said that August '64 is when the six bolt bellhousing first appeared. Obviously (as your car proves) Ford was using up its stock of five bolt bellhousing engines after that time until they ran out.

I'll have to check, but I think the three bolt crank pulley persisted until much later.

68, you let me know when you have that cammer and tunnel port ready, I could use both in quantity! Especially if there was a dual 4-bbl cowl induction air cleaner for some late 60's Mercs and Fords of NASCAR. I am starting a 65 Mustang cammer drag car and have been held up by the completely inaccurate chassis in the kit. That one sorely needs a better cammer engine, as do others!

Sorry for straying slightly off topic. I am interested in a correct hipo 289 also :D