Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustangs (and an oddball)

João Canas

Thanks again everyone for your kind words :)

David, I posted a new topic with the Ferrari build. I Hope you like this one too.

Regarding paint finish, in all but the 1971 Mach1, I have been using two part polyurethane clear coats. The 330P4 was my fist try and the BMW M Coupe was the second, were I managed to obtain a candy like glossy surface without orange peel. In fact I found it too glossy so i rubed it down with Gunze fine compound. As it is a very fine abrasive, it toned the gloss down a notch, enough for me to be happy with the result. I decided not to use super-fine compound or finishing wax in my next car builds.

In the 1971 Mach1 instead of the two part gloss coat I used Microscale Microgloss acrylic clear coat (that never gets as glossy as the urethanes) followed with gunze fine compound, to obtain a very similar result as with the two parts urethanes. However, the Microgloss clear coat is not as hard and tolerates a lot less handling of the body during the last stages of the buld. Urethanes are almost rock hard. Hope this helps!

Ferrari 330P4 link:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81924

Obrigado Túlio!! Também gosto dos Ferraris, aliás, carros Italianos em geral, por razões difrentes. São amores diferentes, sendo a atracção americana mais visceral!

Thanks Túlio for your kind words!

If anyone cares to take a look, here is a link for the BMW M Coupe Build. It was a very quick job with little improvement over the rather poor kit, as I wanted to add this car to the other models.

It is my favorite BMW ever, for it outrageous design coupled to the perfect mechanical layout for a sports car, ie, two seater fixed head coupe (shootingbreak in this case), mid front engine, rear wheel drive with limited slip differential. Something most car manufacturers had forgoten, to the sake of sanitized please-all underwelming cars.

https://www.google.pt/?gws_rd=cr&ei=-oyPUr2lL-_I0AXWr4DgDQ#q=shooting+breaks+uk

Edited by João Canas

• 5 months later...