Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the weirdest kit in your stash?

The Hasegawa eggplane series has gone through a number of transitions since it was introduced. The earliest reference I can find is a salesman's brochure from 1978 with Kittyhawk as the brand name. At the time these were all 2 sprues with no figure. The next two iterations were from Hasegawa and were just box changes with the Hasegawa name on them. The fourth iteration included both stands and caricature figures such as a spook for the F-4 Phantom and an astronaut with the space shuttle. The latest release which is still going on, has no figures or stands.

The latest version of the F-4E/EJ still comes with Spook with decals for the 302nd Sqd, 2nd Air Wing from Chitose Air Base and Col. Robin Olds F-4 during the Vietnam War. The Space Shuttle originally had a astronaut in a Apollo era suit but has since been updated to a current one.

The wheel kits are a single wheel and a section of a display rack that would been seen at shop.

• 1 year later...

I thought about this thread today and it's been 16 months or so since it was last active. There's been a lot of kits posted here that I never knew existed and it's been a fun thread so I figured, "Why not give it another boost?" Lets see what other "weird" stuff comes out of you guys stash piles.

Edited by mustang1989

Wow! What a cool thread! I remember some of these kits,and others I've never seen.

When I was a kid (late 50's ,early 60's) we had some bird models,an owl model ,and a giant bee model.

I have the Gigantic Mantis model.I had a friend over one day,who is scared to death of insects. They almost fainted when they saw the mantis haging from the wall sconce.

The only slighly wierd kit I have is the Juraissc Attack monster truck.

mantis_zps7bcncfyx.jpg

ja_zpswvanr7mb.jpg

You're in luck, Miles - I think the Metal Slug is the only one of those that's still relatively easy to get: http://hlj.com/product/WAVGM-023/Sci

I picked up the Animal many many years ago as a bit of a goof, but was pleasantly surprised by the work Monogram put into it. I ended up getting two more so I could build the pickup and Firebird variants.

Perhaps the most unusual kit I do currently own, is the Polar Lights 1:72 scale C-57D from the movie "Forbidden Planet". Unusual not so much for its subject matter, but because of its size. Measuring out at 28" in diameter (7' - 4 1/4" in circumference), it's one of the largest model kits in my stash. Whether or not I'll ever actually build it is questionable.

C-57D_zpsjlppyhty.jpg

WOW. ..I have nothing like the kits shown here.but if they would have made models of modrls then scale modeling wouldn't have a difficult time staying business. ..but we all wouldn't be building airplanes,cares ,ships,trucks and motorcycles and our wifes would be mad at us...this thread has been funny to read.