Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT ' 70 Torino Cobra update 12/28

smellyfatdude

I got this kit by mistake, since what I bought from a seller on ebay was a ' 71 Torino. He goofed and sent this instead, and since it's mint and untouched I figured, ehh, might as well keep it. If I had been looking to build a ' 70, I think I'd probably choose the Monogram Pro Modeller kit. But this one's here and hey, two metal axles and four screws to put it together. Even I can't screw that up. :lol:

The paint is Duplicolor Bright Calypso, and I don't like the blackout hood, so I painted this one. Interior is painted flat white, and the console and rear shelf have to be made black, yet. There will also be black flocking added to the floor. I sprayed the chassis with Krylon flat black. I might use the stock rims, or not. :rolleyes: I'll definitely use the wide Goodyears in the kit, however. I'll add some clear to the body, once the paint has gassed out a few days.

kit002_zpsa026d5a5.jpg

kit004_zpsc8a8d7b8-1.jpg

paints002m_zps3758c7c5.jpg

paints010m_zps5b16b316.jpg

start002m_zps42dc3770.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

Got a bit more done today, including finishing painting the interior. Just need to flock, then detail everything. The body didn't seem to be resonating any strong odor after twenty four hours in front of a fan, so I applied the Tamiya TS-13 clear coats, Super smooth, man I love this stuff! Should need only a wet polish with 8000 and 12000 micromesh in a few days, then microgloss and some love. ;)

clear002_zpsb9f8210a.jpg

So now, the body has been polished and shined. Just needs foil, which will come next. The black flocking has been added to the interior floor, the rear end has been painted, and the mufflers adorned with aluminum bmf. Finally, the engine has been built. It's not really accurate, but does look nice detailed a bit and with all the xtra chrome. The last shot is the stock wheel, and one of the mags from the kit. Both are adorned with a tire from the AMT ' 69 Cutlass reissue. I'm leaning towards detailing the factory wheels, and slapping ' em on. :rolleyes:

polish002_zpsffb86cab.jpg

polish012m_zps700487b7.jpg