Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Mustang GT350R convertible - finished

maltsr

Our club has its annual display at a national car show next month and will be featuring Mustangs as part of the 50th anniversary (Mustangs, not the club ;))

I hope to submit a few entries, and this is my latest project, combining the Revell convertible and GT350R kits. So far the front valance has been fitted to the convertible body and the fastback interior has been modified to fit. Wheels are from the AMT '66 kit and paint is likely to be Tamiya Racing Blue metallic with silver stripes.

009_zps423ebb0a.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Completed the bodymods by removing bumper mounting holes in rear valence, mounting the de-chromed rear bumper and filling a couple of sink marks above the headlights. Applied a few coats of Tamiya Racing Blue (TS51) followed by a light coat of clear to seal it. Will let this cure for a couple of days while I pluck up courage to mask and apply stripes :wacko:

002_zpsfce445a2.jpg

005_zps343790ef.jpg

Edited by maltsr

With fingers firmly crossed, added the stripes this morning. Not much touch up required, will leave for a couple of days again prior to sanding the ridges and applying clear to blend everything together. Also finshed the engine with a little wiring/plumbing added.

018_zps99fd58ea.jpg

020_zps7935bc4e.jpg

002_zps1eea84e5.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Well guys, here's how she looks at year end. Started detailing the interior with some Model Car Garage photoetch and black embossing powder for the carpet. The paintwork has been polished and I added the GT350 sidescoops and photoetched bonnet pins, which severely tested my old eyes :unsure:. Happy new year everyone!

005_zpsc7eb1b4e.jpg

001_zpsa8e6f64e.jpg