Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 '67 GT500 "Eleanor" Convertible (NEW PICS 1-12-14!)

Kennyboy

Hey guys! Started another project.....yeah I know I need one more......!

This is the goal \/

2012_Classic_Recreations_Shelby_GT500CR_

The donor kit was a gluebomb (!) trade from jrherald (james). It is the poopy 64 1/2 Mustang hardtop to start with........but will be a convertible when I'm done with it.

1st order of business was to fix the windshield frame....was broken at the "A" pillars.....fixed this by gluing small gauge bead wire to the underside of the "A" pillars and slightly adjusted the angle of the windshield.

Next, I chopped the roof off which I will then make a boot cover for to mimic the top down.

Then, I began the process of the GT500 front bumper. The bumper is going to be made from wood.....

Still alot of work to be done on the front end but here are some pics of today's progress......

P1020522_zpsb1a57a43.jpg

P1020520_zpse8e9b20e.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy

Some where I have a cobra glue bomb. It's probably in my storage and there was an engine in it. I'll try and get over there in a few days.

Nice work so far. I've been trying to rectify( I give up on using accurize :D) one of those. I'd like to make it into a fastback and do a 1965 A/FX SOHC.

Very Nice !!

You could source the engine from the Shelby 427 Cobra Kit...

Thanks! That is what I am hoping to find.

Some where I have a cobra glue bomb. It's probably in my storage and there was an engine in it. I'll try and get over there in a few days.

Nice work so far. I've been trying to rectify( I give up on using accurize :D) one of those. I'd like to make it into a fastback and do a 1965 A/FX SOHC.

Thank you Mike! I really appreciate the kind words and the help as well! Would have loved to do a fastback myself, but was afraid the contours would kill me. ;):o:lol:

You know that the 65-66 Mustang is narrower and shorter than the 67-68, right? IF you are trying to make this as accurate as possible, you will need to add material. Just throwing that out there.

Yep, got it. I am no stranger to adding material.......this is just the beginning, the wood parts will be fiberglass in the end. The wheelwell arches will be added to and the rear is going to be built scratch.

Next (today) will be the hood scoop and some more smoothing.......the scoop will be the larger hump style not the one above.

What kind of wood are you using for the front & sides?

A co-worker of mine is a woodworker in his spare time.....he donated a block of solid maple 3" x 4" x 16" long. Really nice wood, I plan on using it for "bucks" that will be sanded VERY smooth to make a mold from fiberglass, then I will cast the parts from the fiberglass mold into fiberglass parts. Much thinner and lighter than the wood.

Thanks Justin! Me too.....

Some progress....although slow because of the holidays.

Still working on the side skirts so they did not make it into these pics, also decided to just use the wood pieces I am creating for the body. (I'm no good at fiberglass!!)

*Wheels are from a Jada Shelby Cobra I bought on Ebay for cheap....still have to paint the centers on the rears. Tires are from an old 1/18 scale Jaguar XJ220. They are a little deep in the rear but I will probably go with it anyways.

P1020533_zps77c538fe.jpg

P1020534_zpsdb336ac2.jpg

P1020535_zpsa3453d8e.jpg

P1020536_zpsa02eba8b.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy