Model Cars Magazine Forum

2085 VETTE JET! 8th Scale Corvette Flying Car...Finished!

Ira

Ira, its difficult to get them lined up, but the magnets in the base need to be slightly angled inwards toward the center of the subject. If the magnets were held straight, the model would just push to one side or the other. I do have to admit, we got it to float, but it would not stay and we had to hold it by hand to stay over the magnets. Its a lot of R&D. Come to think of it, it was a real pain! LOL...I will have to experiment with it more...Joe

Thanks for the info!

I've been using a lot magnets for moveable and removable parts attached to models... B)

OK Ira,Here's an idea for you.. you know,I never noticed those little propulsion units on the bottom of the car.

What you might do ,knowing how good you are about making something out of nothing, You might go to Wally World and look around for stuff that's mounted on a card with a bubble of clear plastic over it. Hopefully something cheap and the right size.

jetsons_zpsbe003656.jpeg

Edited by pharoah

Thanks Andy!

Still not sure about the Canopy... B)

Hi Ira,

I'm not sure if this would be of any use to you, but over here in the UK KFC are doing something called a Kream Ball ice cream thing (not had one just seen the advert on TV), but the actual plastic ball container might do for a windshield...: -

KFCKreamBall_zpsc6ba60fa.jpg

Was just a thought...

Andy...

Ira, its difficult to get them lined up, but the magnets in the base need to be slightly angled inwards toward the center of the subject. If the magnets were held straight, the model would just push to one side or the other. I do have to admit, we got it to float, but it would not stay and we had to hold it by hand to stay over the magnets. Its a lot of R&D. Come to think of it, it was a real pain! LOL...I will have to experiment with it more...Joe

Thanks Joe!

I'll be playing with the magnets too... B)

OK Ira,Here's an idea for you.. you know,I never noticed those little propulsion units on the bottom of the car.

What you might do ,knowing how good you are about making something out of nothing, You might go to Wally World and look around for stuff that's mounted on a card with a bubble of clear plastic over it. Hopefully something cheap and the right size.

jetsons_zpsbe003656.jpeg

Thanks for the Suggestions John!

B)

MORE POWER!!!

The X-Wing Engines just weren't BiG enough for the Vette. I decided to switch to larger Pod Racer Engines instead. I think 6 Engines from 3 Pod Racer Kits will be enough...

DSCN9230X_zpsf5dc3a1b.jpg

I cut the Rear Ends off all 6 Pod Racer Engines. I'll use those Engine Sections for the Vette Jet!

DSCN9155V_zps7dc059ae.jpg

I found some large diameter Plastic Tubing to mount the Engines with. I cut 6 lengths of tubing and fit them in the Taillight Holes. Then I cut 6 round pieces of plastic and glued them on the ends of the tubes. This should make Engine Mounting easy.

DSCN9301U_zpsc6490b67.jpg

More Coming... B)

Hi Ira,

I'm not sure if this would be of any use to you, but over here in the UK KFC are doing something called a Kream Ball ice cream thing (not had one just seen the advert on TV), but the actual plastic ball container might do for a windshield...: -

Was just a thought...

Andy...

Thanks for the Suggestion Andy!

B)

Hi Ira,

KFCKreamBall_zpsc6ba60fa.jpg

Was just a thought...

Andy...

Oooh, now that has so many uses written all over it!!!!!!!

FINS!

I decided to add Fins to the Wings. I cut a Fin Template from paper and when I got the shape right I traced the Template on to Plastic. Then I cut out 2 Fins with an X-acto Knife and a Straight Edge. Next I sanded the Edges smooth.

DSCN9376V_zps626fe970.jpg

Here are the Fins glued in place with Zap-A-Gap.

DSCN9384V_zps40181662.jpg

Front View.

DSCN9393V_zps1208f617.jpg

More Coming... B)

Ira-

I have a Jetson's car that I bought for parts. If you want, I can take some measurements to see if any of it is useful to you. The canopy is perfectly round, though.

Thanks for the offer Lee!

I'll let you know if I need anything... B)

Edited by Ira