Model Cars Magazine Forum

2085 VETTE JET! 8th Scale Corvette Flying Car...Finished!

Ira

WING TEMPLATES!

I'm adding Wings to the Vette Jet. I started by cutting out Templates from the back of a pad of paper, any File Card type cardboard will work. I first cut out the basic shape then I started fitting the Template to the side of the Vette.

DSCN9056V_zps26f9be57.jpg

Next I traced the Wing Shape on to sheet plastic, 4 times...

DSCN9061V_zpsddf72715.jpg

I ended up changing the Wing Shape a little more before attaching it to the Vette.

DSCN9064V_zpsc8cb0b01.jpg

More Coming... B)

VETTE'S GOT WINGS!

I glued a length of 1/4 inch wide Plastic Strips, on the sides, to position the rear Wings.

DSCN9069V_zpsa4497649.jpg

I sanded the edges where the Wing Ends come together, for easier gluing. Then I glued the Bottom halves of the Wings on the body, below the Plastic Strips, with Zap-A-Gap, Green Label.

DSCN9076V_zps226876e0.jpg

I glued the Top halves of the Wings on the body, along the Top of the Strips. I also glued the Wings together on the sides.

DSCN9078V_zpsa793b39b.jpg

Then I glued the Wing Halves together along the Front Edge.

DSCN9081V_zps67ac2dc5.jpg

More Coming... B)

WING DETAILS...

I decided to add a length of Half-Round Plastic Strip to the edge of the Wing. This should make a nice rounded edge.

DSCN9104V_zpse672620f.jpg

Here it is in place.

DSCN9109V_zps780d8357.jpg

I cut some plastic to fill in the rear of the Wings.

DSCN9125V_zpsd81c78de.jpg

Here it is in place.

DSCN9127V_zps050f2c7f.jpg

More Coming... B)

FRONT WINGS!

I cut 2 Front Wings from .080 Sheet Plastic and glued them in place with Zap-A-Gap Green Label. Notice the Wings are mounted along the main body seam, this saved a lot of body work in that area.

DSCN9129V_zps589b9738.jpg

DSCN9146V_zpscb00714d.jpg

More Coming... B)

UP IN THE AIR!

I decided to display the Vette Jet floating above a rectangular base. Here is how it was done...

I picked up a 6 foot length of clear 3/16 inch rod from Tap Plastic and a bag of Plastic Tube with a 3/16 inch hole. First I drilled a hole for the Tubing. Then I put some glue on the end of the Tube and slid it into the hole until it touched the inside of the body. Made sure it was straight then I put some Zap-A-Gap around the tubing on the outside of the body.

DSCN9156V_zpsd4413e0e.jpg

I cut off the tube flush with the body. Here it is with a length of Clear Rod in place. I added another Tube of the same on the front of the Vette.

DSCN9174V_zps52d0c041.jpg

The Base is an AMT Product. I found these Bases in the 12th scale Cord and a 16th scale Corvette. I drilled a hole for the Tubing and glued it in place.

DSCN9176V_zps6f38242d.jpg

I positioned the Tubes inside 2 collars inside the Base. I added a larger Tube around the original to make it more secure. Then I added a small piece of plastic on the end, as a Stop for the Rod.

DSCN9178V_zpse0595266.jpg

More Coming... B)