Model Cars Magazine Forum

Avro Mirage 720 (aka Ford GT), Polar Lights, 1/25

Matt Bacon

A quick holiday build, starting with the Polar Lights 1/25 Ford GT snap kit. The main visible difference between the super-tuned 720 Mirage and the "basic" Ford GT is the lack of a rear bumper, which leaves the back end rather more open. And lots of cool black detailing...
dials2-XL.jpg
The dash responds well to a bit of detail painting
cockpit-chassis-3-XL.jpg
I took most of the chrome off everything, leaving only the supercharger body (which, although it is more powerful on the Mirage, is also chrome plated like the original equipment)
wheels-XL.jpg
The wheels end up like this. If I was even more shortsighted than I am, and had a steadier hand, the orange bar in the middle would resolve into "Mirage", but I'm not, so it doesn't. The brakes are moulded in to the back of the wheel, and so rotate with the front, which is the only major compromise to simplify the kit. They are also not handed, which only matters on the rears which have the main calliper and a secondary thingy (I'd love to know what it is -- you get them on most supercar brakes, on one pair of wheels). I'll just have to set the wheels carefully to put the callipers in the right position before taking pics!
cockpit-engine2-XL.jpg
cockpit-engine-XL.jpg
The plain black plastic cockpit is much improved by a lick of paint. The seats are nicely thought-through, with inserts for the "breather" holes, but they are even better if you strip the chrome and repaint, and touch in the "holes" with a paint pen.
chassis-built-front-left-XL.jpg
chassis-built-high-left-XL.jpg
chassis-from-above-XL.jpg
So that's the chassis together. Depending on what you can see (the body is one-piece and doesn't open) I might add a few pipes and cables around the engine. I've no idea whether the colours of the bits in the nose section are right, but since I can't find ANY pictures, and you can't see them after it's built, I'm not going to worry too much. Elapsed time to this stage about 4 hours. Now for the cool black detailing!
bestest,
M.

The Mirage was certainly made in the UK, based on a "mint" GT imported from the US. There's a complicated corporate backstory, but it's basically the successor to the Roush 600, another tuned GT. If you really felt that your 550BHP was a little lacking in grunt, you could have it fettled up to 600BHP with a more powerful blower. But the guy who did the Mirage reckoned that the chassis was brilliant and could easily handle even more power, so he upped the supercharger from 10psi boost to 17 psi, and now the engine is good for 750BHP, and 630lbft of torque. It'll spin the rear wheels in first, second and third gear, in the dry, if you're not careful. There's no traction control...

This is another review:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/220638/avro_720_mirage.html

bestest,

M.

The body is now on!
body-on-4-XL.jpg
body-on-1-XL.jpg
body-on-2-XL.jpg
body-on-3-XL.jpg
I removed the silencer box (the big square lump at the extreme rear behind the engine, because that's one way the 720 Mirage saves weight over the original GT. I've cut out the ring through which the exhausts emerge from the rear bumper part, and glued it in place on the body instead. The instructions have you add the rear bumper last, when the body and chassis are together. However, with the Mirage, the body with the mesh won't drop over the exhausts, so I had to cut them off the engine and insert pins so I could plug them in from the outside after it was all together.
Just the last few details and decals to add now...
bestest,
M.
Edited by Matt Bacon