Model Cars Magazine Forum

Think Pink: Engine In, Suspension Started

FASTBACK340

• 6 months later...

OK, so 6 months have passed. Time to get this puppy back on the workbench!

I'm cleaning up a few minor details on the replica of my `68 `Cuda, then we dive back into this `70. Quick re-cap: FM3 Pink convertible w/ White interior. I have a majority of the paint work done except for the body, which is un-touched. Most of the silly detailing is done. I must finish this before I touch the Baja. That's my discipline I hope I can maintain.

Hopefully update pictures by tomorrow night. :)

I never installed the radiator cap, overflow hose & bottle. Plus the coil & master cylinder came loose from it's trip to NNL East.

08436666628173-vi.jpg

Give her a few touch-up's on the drip rail trim and back window, and we're ready for the LIARS show next weekend.

12436666632813-vi.jpg

Now onto the `70…...

Edited by FASTBACK340

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the thread that will not die….

I finally whacked the roof off the `Cuda last night. Once the header panel is trimmed and finished she get's painted. Just about everything else has been painted and ready for 7 months…...

27437363187071-vi.jpg

I test fitted the chassis. WOW what a tight fit! Here's a reminder of the color choice…...

29437363189447-vi.jpg

Thanks guys! For the next 6 months I'll hopefully crank out a few builds. This Cuda is first since it's been waiting forever. It is painted except for the body. I just got home but I plan on spending tomorrow night building.

And thanks for the comments on the '68. That's my baby ...,,,, :-)

Finally got the windshield header & wheel well lips taken care of. Now it's in the booth with a coat of etching primer flashing-out. Hopefully a fast scuff and it'll get a white primer base-coat in preparation for color later this afternoon. Now I'm going to put the chassis together. Be back later…...

28437940808463-vi.jpg

28437940808851-vi.jpg

32437940812954-vi.jpg

I use SEM etching primer. It gets a really good bite into the material. I've had good results as it goes on thick enough to sand, but not obscure detail. Once I get it level I'll shoot some Tamiya white primer, then the Pink.

Good to hear you've been working on the wrecker. It's an awesome piece of workmanship much like Bill's Hemi Cuda.

• 2 months later...

Ya know John, you could always add more....

Swap out that resistor you're using for a fuel line and filter for one of these super cool neato Switching Diodes available at Radio Shack....they even look like they have gas in them!

71Daytona_10-vi.jpg

Backtracking just a smidge here..........That idea for using the resistor with the leads is an excellent idea!!! I happen to have a couple. Will be using that for my next build.

This build going on in here rocks!!! Great detail John!