Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would buy this ford if I had 4k

Looks like a native of the Southwest U.S. !

Dashpad cracked and split ; faded / discoloured fascia ; peeling trim ; sunbleached mirrors ... about a 10 year old Calif car !

On the plus side : no T-Tops ! One doesn't encounter too many '79 & up Mustangs without T-tops !

An '82 GT has got to be a collectable piece now . The lack of the "Michelin Metric Tyre" package's 390mm wheels is of little surprise . Are those tyres obsolete ; or does Michelin produce them on a special order basis ?

Wrong. CarFax collects data from a lot of different sources. They get change of title information from state databases and it usually includes mileage. It has annual DMV inspection data with mileage. They get accident data from state accident reports. I know people who had never reported the accident to their insurance company, but there was a cop on the scene, and an accident report, so it appeared on the CarFax. They also are into the car manufacturers service records, so if a car was serviced at a dealer, that will be in there too.

It's not the greatest on older cars that predate computerized systems. For instance I know my '99 Breeze was in an accident when it was a few years old due to some paint issues. But it's not on the CarFax.

Tom's right. Plus, they gather data from state motor vehicle departments, so such things as salvage titles, branded titles, rebuilder titles, flood damage totals, VIN switches, gray market vehicles, odometer rollbacks, odometer discrepancies, etc., show up on CarFax.

But as Tom pointed out, it's not totally reliable on older vehicles, especially those manufactured before 17-digit VINs. All in all, however, it's far more help and far more reliable than nothing.

We can agree to disagree on this. CarFax is well known for being extremely innacurate on serious issues for neweer cars, not just older cars. If you disagree, that's cool, we don't all have to have the same opinion. Continue using it as you like it and trust it.

There is a reason they had to change a LOT of the wording on their commercials and their paperwork to avoid getting involved in massive class action lawsuits.

Anyone can do a title history of a car through the State. They'll give that to you without issue. No need to pay CarFax and their third party innacurate system. The problem is that through good marketing people think it's a definitive and reliable source.

Luckily your experiences have been different. Probably from dealerships that reported every little thing. Many many many do not, and that's the issue. Neither do garage mechanics or any regular shop that doesn't buy into the CarFax system and doesn't want to spend time on a loss loss situation by reporting damages and repairs to cars they may have to resell later. Not every police dept reports either. Even insurance companies don't report things all the time.

Have a great night guys. :)

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/trust-car-fox-hidden-camera-shows-clean-carfax/story?id=18731208

http://www.autopi.com/carfaxCBS.html

http://www.americanownews.com/story/16984557/are-carfax-reports-reliable

I stopped at posting three independent articles. Search turned up a plethora of investigations proving my point. ;)

Edited by hpiguy

Hey guys don't get your shorts in a knot... note the title of the thread is "IF I had 4k" so nobody is buying that Mustang.

It would be a challenge to build in scale though... hmmm.

And I know what it's like to be piled on...

A few years ago my credit union had a bright red Dodge Magnum, V6, low miles that they wanted $10k for. I posted a picture of it and got piled on by guys saying they wouldn't take it for free unless it had a Hemi and top of the line performance package etc. Never mind that most of the guys who said this probably couldn't have afforded it anyway. Nor that the high performance model would have suited my commuting needs.

Sucked the fun right out of thinking about buying it.

I agree no one ever need shorts in a knot! and thats exactly it "if i had disposable money" i would certainly not pay the full askin price either i would need to save cash to buy replacement pcs and buildup a 1:1 foxbody parts stash again!

and I agree on the sort of "rareity" factor i see plenty of 87-93 stangs plenty of them all variety i still see quite a few 85-86 although most seem to be the 86' fuel injected! i have owned a 85' and 86' i love all of them but theres something about that 82 gt front that resembles the 79' cobra pace car..... front end love it! although does anyone ever notice the similarity of the front of the ford, vs. the dodges of the early 80's like the "shelby" daytona omni's/ daytonas sort of resemble ford? anything to do with shelby switching to the mopar side for awile??

Looks like a native of the Southwest U.S. !

Dashpad cracked and split ; faded / discoloured fascia ; peeling trim ; sunbleached mirrors ... about a 10 year old Calif car !

On the plus side : no T-Tops ! One doesn't encounter too many '79 & up Mustangs without T-tops !

An '82 GT has got to be a collectable piece now . The lack of the "Michelin Metric Tyre" package's 390mm wheels is of little surprise . Are those tyres obsolete ; or does Michelin produce them on a special order basis ?

i want to say you can stil get the "special" metric sized tires but they defenately don't come cheap forgot how much my fox guy told me they were per tire.....

Replying to Chris (don't know your full name) "hpiguy":

Sorry you've had such bad experience with CarFax. And, yes, we can agree to disagree, but you made some pretty absolute pronouncements. You may find three examples or even "a plethora" of examples that support your posture, but they don't "prove" your point. There's also a wealth of day-in and day-out history of performance that doesn't make the investigative reporters' desks, thus you'll never 'google' the vast majority of the CarFax experiences.

I work with CarFax reports frequently and find their typical product to be far more accurate than not. However, you also touched upon an important point, whether you meant to or not. Garbage in, garbage out is true of ANY database. If info is not reported, it can't be retrieved. Is CarFax failsafe? No. No database is, not even Google.

You also made the blanket statement that anyone can get a title history through the state without issue. And without paying CarFax.

However, let's be real, here. In the first place, most states take weeks to return title history results, not instantly like CarFax (and its competitors).

Secondly, each state will return only THEIR OWN history, nothing of a vehicle's history that occurred beyond their jurisdiction. Thus, any vehicle that has moved around from one state to another ~ or more ~ will require a separate title history in each state. More on that in a moment.

And, every state charges for title searches. Charges vary from state to state, but they usually cost more ~ per state ~ than a single CarFax report which will return the entire history.

What this means in the real world is a complete overview of a vehicle's history might require running consecutive searches in multiple states, especially when dealing with collectible vehicles. In practice (absent CarFax), one must first request a title history from the vehicle's current state. It may take 2 to 6 weeks, or more, depending on the state. Once received, if review shows the vehicle came to state A from another state, the history will identify the prior state (we'll call it state B ). Then one must request a title history from state B. Again the wait. Again once received it may turn out the vehicle came to state B from state C. One did not know about state C until state B disclosed it as the prior title state, which state A didn't even know (or care) about. This chain can continue through several states, each requiring its own search, its own fees, and taking as much time as it deems to take.

This is how it always worked prior to CarFax. Now you can just run a CarFax search which will disclose all the title numbers and the respective title-issuing states in an instant. If you need the detailed history from manufacture-to-current owner (as we do when investigating vehicle theft, title-washing, smuggling, cloning, interstate trafficking, loan fraud, asset laundering, etc.), then one can at least order the histories from all the involved states at once, instead of having to wait for the domino effect to play out over weeks or months.

Edited by Danno

It would be a challenge to build in scale though... hmmm.

It would actually be easy to build an '82 Mustang GT in 1/25 scale. All you need to do is find a '79 Mustang Pace car on ebay, they're still on there for reasonably good prices. Just modify the hood scoop and paint the car accordingly. Sounds like a future project!

My brother's '82 GT had the original TRX wheels and Michelins on it IIRC when he bought it about 15 years ago--they were pretty well worn but car had low miles and was rust free..black on black. He's since updated it with the later phone dial wheels w/ modern tires. He has a '79 IPC and an '85 GT also. His latest acquisition surprised me--he's a lifelong Ford, Mercury, Chevy and Pontiac guy, but he recently bought a low mileage '02 BMW 750iL.

Edited by Rob Hall

A question - near me there's a 1986 Mustang coupe with a 4 cylinder automatic. It's near mint and has 40,000 miles on it for $2500. What do you guys think of a 4 cylinder car?

My pontificating bro-in-law who knows everything about nothing, told me it was junk because it has a different chassis than a V8 GT Mustang. He said those 4-6 cylinder cars had tinsel chassis. Thoughts?

A question - near me there's a 1986 Mustang coupe with a 4 cylinder automatic. It's near mint and has 40,000 miles on it for $2500. What do you guys think of a 4 cylinder car?

I had one like that in college--'86 LX 4 cyl w/ 4spd manual. It was a turd--slow and underpowered--but it got me through 6 Ohio winters before it was totalled. (I kept my '87 GT garaged most of the time those years). Chassis is the same as 5.0s, I believe, though the rear axle and suspension are probably lighter duty..

Edited by Rob Hall

nothing different about the chassis except abouve stated probly lighter duty springs shocks and struts otherwise identical!

my guy in n.c. where my 85' is resting away for now, he likes to swap v8's into the 4 cylander cars because the 4 bagger motors do not have enuff torque to twist up and distort or bend up the unibodys like the v8 motors do! so when you do swap in a v-8 and the heavier springs/ shocks and thak the car for a drive its like riding on rails the car is so stiff

all original low mileage 82' gt mustang want to say all originals in pristine shape can fetch upwards of 10k its a ford mustang ford front end ford badges

Just for educational purposes, I was wandering about the badge on the hood. If this car is all Ford, then why is the hood badge round instead of oval. Not dissing your taste or opinion of this car, I was just curious.

Edit, nevermind...saw the ebay car and realized its a round black badge with a silver Mustang horse in it. I guess I've learned something today.

Edited by Skydime

Just for educational purposes, I was wandering about the badge on the hood. If this car is all Ford, then why is the hood badge round instead of oval. Not dissing your taste or opinion of this car, I was just curious.

Are ALL chevy hood ornaments shaped like a bow-tie? These cars came with round ornaments, not ovals. What car has an oval hood ornament?

Ford didn't use the oval logo on the '82 Mustang. The round hood badge was a '79-82 Mustang detail. The Mustang didn't get the blue oval until '83...the Mustang still had the block letters FORD spelled out on the hatch/decklid in '82..

Edited by Rob Hall

Are ALL chevy hood ornaments shaped like a bow-tie? These cars came with round ornaments, not ovals. What car has an oval hood ornament?

As I said, educational. I never knew that pre 83 Foxbodied Mustangs didn't have blue oval Ford badges anywhere. Since I was not familiar with that fact, and I am not exactly the best authority on Mustang accuracy, I was thinking maybe this was possibly a Mercury Capri thing. So, I was thinking Capri hood on an otherwise pure Mustang. Thank you Robert for the clarification and new information. Well, new to me.

Here's an oval hood ornament :P

Edited by Skydime

My brother's '82 GT had the original TRX wheels and Michelins on it IIRC when he bought it about 15 years ago--they were pretty well worn

tomcar3-vi.jpg

Here's my 1979 Capri V8 with the TRX package. All I remember was that those tires wore out fast and were expensive. I believe I got about 20,000 miles out of them, and that was with my wife driving it as her daily driver. Traded it in at 32,000 miles. This is the parting shot.

Edit, nevermind...saw the ebay car and realized its a round black badge with a silver Mustang horse in it. I guess I've learned something today.

Your not the only one. I saw the badge and thought it was a mercury badge. Never realized mustangs had round badges. I googled it(of course after I questioned it) and saw similar. Doesn't help that the front end is falling off and doesn't look like it lines up. Lol.