Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would buy this ford if I had 4k

Pic-10302013-004_zpsc52f46ae.jpg

Pic-10302013-002_zps776de0be.jpg

Pic-10302013-003_zps73730514.jpg

Pic-10302013-001_zpse07061e3.jpg

may look a little rough to the eyes but with some new paint and rub strips on the body and doors she would be good as new all original 82 gt 5.0 2bbl with the srod 4 speed

i would love this year fox with a 85 gt roller motor in it!!

if i had what the guy wanted or a little less (cash talks) i'd buy it!!

$4000? Yeah, no. That thing looks beat. All original? Front end doesn't match. Driver's door and fender look trashed. Dash looks trashed. If I can SEE that much in a few photos, hate to see what I can't.

Did a quick eBay search:

HERE is what 5K gets you there...

Edited by Erik Smith

Seeing the license plate, I just have to wonder if it had ever be underwater. I know that there was some inclement weather in your area a few years ago. If it has been off the road for some time you might want to look up under the dash and in the corners of the trunk. I have seen cars with low miles with fine silt under the dash and in little places in the trunk. Be sure to run a Carfax on it also. I know nothing of the value of a used car in your area, but that seems like a lot of money. Ask your self, why would a car with such low miles look like this at this point in time? Good luck.

Be sure to run a Carfax on it also.

Do you think a car in that shape is taken to the type of dealership or mechanic that uses CarFax?

Even then, CarFax is notoriously unreliable. It depends on the shops and owners to report things. Most never bother as they don't want to harm the resale of a car they may need to resell down the road when it gets traded in.

Edited by hpiguy

So no one else is entitled to a opinion if they don't like the car?

My opinion, it's a heap. ;) But the buyer will be a big hit at the local trailer park meth cookoff. It's got that going for it. Maybe that's why they want 4K for it. They can't get the $3500 worth of crank out of the dashboard.

Edited by hpiguy

Not bashing, I think we are all just voicing our opinion that the asking price is twice what it should be. Regardless of what is needed, it will take some work and money to make it presentable. Even in mint condition, the value of this car could be less than what it would cost to bring it up to that state.

wow if i had wanted a "bash-a-thon" I woulda asked for one I was simply saying if i had money to work with i'd buy me a 82 gt!!

i would not pay the full asking amount either!

If you post on a public forum, it's expected you want conversation about the topic. Interpret it as "bashing", but understand it's not anyone's intent - we're just discussing the car.

It's a antique so it must be worth a fortune. :rolleyes: As others have said, you can get a real classic Mustang that needs some work for about the same amount. After you invested $8K in this car it might be worth $7K so unless it's free you would lose in the long run. I'd pass unless you do your own body work and paint and have access to cheap used parts.

wow if i had wanted a "bash-a-thon" I woulda asked for one I was simply saying if i had money to work with i'd buy me a 82 gt!!

i would not pay the full asking amount either!

No one is bashing, they are trying to save you from getting ripped off, no way in he double hockey sticks is that worth $4k, I think $1500 is even still a little high

Even then, CarFax is notoriously unreliable. It depends on the shops and owners to report things. Most never bother as they don't want to harm the resale of a car they may need to resell down the road when it gets traded in.

Wrong. CarFax collects data from a lot of different sources. They get change of title information from state databases and it usually includes mileage. It has annual DMV inspection data with mileage. They get accident data from state accident reports. I know people who had never reported the accident to their insurance company, but there was a cop on the scene, and an accident report, so it appeared on the CarFax. They also are into the car manufacturers service records, so if a car was serviced at a dealer, that will be in there too.

It's not the greatest on older cars that predate computerized systems. For instance I know my '99 Breeze was in an accident when it was a few years old due to some paint issues. But it's not on the CarFax.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Hey guys don't get your shorts in a knot... note the title of the thread is "IF I had 4k" so nobody is buying that Mustang.

It would be a challenge to build in scale though... hmmm.

And I know what it's like to be piled on...

A few years ago my credit union had a bright red Dodge Magnum, V6, low miles that they wanted $10k for. I posted a picture of it and got piled on by guys saying they wouldn't take it for free unless it had a Hemi and top of the line performance package etc. Never mind that most of the guys who said this probably couldn't have afforded it anyway. Nor that the high performance model would have suited my commuting needs.

Sucked the fun right out of thinking about buying it.

Wrong. CarFax collects data from a lot of different sources. They get change of title information from state databases and it usually includes mileage. It has annual DMV inspection data with mileage. They get accident data from state accident reports. I know people who had never reported the accident to their insurance company, but there was a cop on the scene, and an accident report, so it appeared on the CarFax. They also are into the car manufacturers service records, so if a car was serviced at a dealer, that will be in there too.

It's not the greatest on older cars that predate computerized systems. For instance I know my '99 Breeze was in an accident when it was a few years old due to some paint issues. But it's not on the CarFax.

Tom's right. Plus, they gather data from state motor vehicle departments, so such things as salvage titles, branded titles, rebuilder titles, flood damage totals, VIN switches, gray market vehicles, odometer rollbacks, odometer discrepancies, etc., show up on CarFax.

But as Tom pointed out, it's not totally reliable on older vehicles, especially those manufactured before 17-digit VINs. All in all, however, it's far more help and far more reliable than nothing.

Lots of old Fox bodied Mustangs around here in better shape for lots less. Look around, you can do better.

That is right on key here...even in my area there are some in nice shape for a lot less. Rarity is always a factor when it comes to price and worth too...Those little v-8 Mustangs ran quite well...(buddy of mine bought a retired state police Mustang cheap...real bad boy too...thing is darn right scary with a 5 speed