Model Cars Magazine Forum

First big rig-White-Freightliner dual drive-update 1/19/14-Color

Yup this will be my first big rig build...Need to do something diff again so picked this up the other day....I started off by building the frame(hope I dont regret that later).Got it in some color and cleared today.Gonna kind of do a mild customish truck... Kit isnt too bad of flash and stuff but the cab sucks lol....I started to get it togethor but had to take it back apart....Hopefully I can get it lined up and look correct....If anyone has any tips on these,please let me know cause Ive never built one before and figured Id try this one before going with any more

2014-01-052014-01-05001003.jpg

Edited by slammedi'am

I haven't built one of these since I was a teenager years ago lol!! I can advise you of a couple small issues which Amt kits are loaded with !! No 1# This kit has a 2 piece cab can be built as a day cab or sleeper version if you chose the sleeper version there is a un godly seam between the 2 pieces which mind you can be filled with model putty etc but when you sand it you lose some rivot detail! Or if you decide the day cab version you kinda have to build or draft the rear panel from the sleeper piece!! NO 2# Is the cab position is off if you read on other posts the cab will not sit level and your steps will hit the front tires. Easiest solution is to build this and not glue the front axle in place until you get the cab set properly. Read J.T.S Freightliner post this is explained in there.Hope this helps you I will watch I actually have one of these kits also that I haven't built

Edited by pete3522

Looks like you have a pretty good start to this one, Man.....Craig's right....You've chosen a pretty testy kit to start building trucks with.....That's pretty much the biggest thing is that it appears that the front axle may need to be moved forward, maybe an 1/8", so that the cab will sit right....Mine still doesn't sit right after several attempts shifting stuff around, here and there....I wasn't about to remove the front axle, because this would be way too difficult to do....But it may not be too late for yours.....But, it's really not that big of a deal....Even with that the model will still look good, so it's up to you as to what you want to do....It's your model....Have fun with it, whatever you do.....

Haha Thanks everyone...Yea I figured Id pick the doosey of em all to build.....I had read about the cab and all and saw the huge gap on top....The sides are not to bad.I was thinking maybe since Im doin a semi custom,maybe getting rid of the rivets on the roof and take care of the huge gap up top..

Ive always liked big rigs especially when I was a kid.....And this one was around during that time....Dont know why I ve never built one before now lol

Shane - your frame looks square and that is a good start. What I would have given for a hobby mat with square grids when I was a teen building trucks.

Keep at it, this is a sharp looking truck to model.

I think I have read every post on this forum pertaining to the AMT Freightliner. Well I feel I am an expert now on all the quirks and should order one ;)

Thanks for the tips....If I do well Ill prob get the Peterbuilt or Kenworth cab over....But wanna do it like one from the Trick My Truck show did

I actually did part of the frame in just mid air lol....I used a small meter box to finish the rest of it up so it wasnt twisted.

lookin good, even with the issues the kit has, it still builds out nice. tip for you, when you install the exsaust uprights you may want to tie them together at the top with extra bracing so they wont lean outward...

Got the cab in more primer..Still have a few spts to fix..I also added a place where the tags suppose to went...Didnt like that look or the hole there so filled it in...Also got the first coat on the motor....Truck will have 3 colors on the body...still not sure how the scheme will be yeat but will get to that parts soon..

2014-01-182014-01-18001001.jpg

2014-01-182014-01-18001002.jpg

2014-01-182014-01-18001003.jpg

Looking good.

One other thing to be aware of is that the gear shift "tower" may need a trim down for the cab to sit flush on the rear cab mounts. Also, be careful with the cab entry steps. The instructions are lousy and may even be backwards if I recall. If you have not shaved down and moved the front axle, chances are the front tires may touch them even if you install them correctly. Pretty easy little tweeks just to keep in mind.

Nice job on the fill. Look forward to seeing what you come up with on the paint scheme.

I also like the fill you did....That does look much better and I like what you did with the roof.....If you do paint the light housings the same color as the roof, it's gonna look pretty awesome.....Not sure if that's what you're gonna do, but that's just me....Looking good, Man....

Thanks for those tips Jesse...Im about to see what all Ill have to do on the front axle and wheels so it is correct

JT you are correct sir! I also thought about filling the steps in and such but think Im gonna pass on it for now...

But was messing around earlier, I have a diecast Peterbuilt and had these wheels on it from one of my sons old toys.....Needless to say my next cab over will be like this for sure

2014-01-182014-01-18002001.jpg

Ill use that stuff on a diff build if I can ever find one...

Got some color on the cab....Need to wet sand and shoot another coat in a few days...Also got the leafs in place and almost done with the axles....Heres a quick mock up with the kit wheels and tires

2014-01-192014-01-19002001-1.jpg

2014-01-192014-01-19002002.jpg

Thanks for those tips Jesse...Im about to see what all Ill have to do on the front axle and wheels so it is correct

JT you are correct sir! I also thought about filling the steps in and such but think Im gonna pass on it for now...

But was messing around earlier, I have a diecast Peterbuilt and had these wheels on it from one of my sons old toys.....Needless to say my next cab over will be like this for sure

2014-01-182014-01-18002001.jpg

I like the wheels. What kind of diecast is it from and what scale. Jada, newray etc? I reckon those wheels on a lonestar with custom bits on it would be awesome.

Ben

Edited by Bennyg