Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCW does not answer their e-mails when trying to find out if they have a car in stock. Why is it in this day and age, a guy like me can accept Paypal and MCW cannot? I'm expected to send a copy of an order form with my credit card number on it? This is 2014, and I do not understand how this company can keep going without having some way to process orders online. I really want to order one of their kits, but the idea of sending my credit card number or a check in todays questionable mail delivery makes me nervous. How do you buy stuff from Model Car World?

I print out the form, put my CC number on it, fill out the form with a 'pen', and use an 'envelope' and 'stamp' to order. It's an old school 20th century practice--slow and strange, but it does still work surprisingly well..I usually get orders from them within 2 weeks. That's just the way it is with some resin casters--Replicas and Miniatures of Md doesn't even have a website, but I still buy from them occasionally.

Edited by Rob Hall

"MCW does not answer their e-mails when trying to find out if they have a car in stock."

That hasn't been my individual experience - a few weeks ago I emailed asking if a kit was in stock, got a reply within 24 hrs. I mailed an order (with a check) that day, got an email letting me know he'd received my order and I had my kit within about a week. This was all during the holidays when things might be expected to move a little slower.

Yes, it's kind of an old fashioned way to do business in this day and age, but I don't have any complaints.

I have been doing business with MCW for 10 years and never had a problem. I fax my order and its here in about 2 weeks. Paint is the only kind I use, his resin is very good. I have requested special colors and they have delivered. I wish more aftermarket business would match both MCW and the Modelhauses service and quality. I don't need high tech, just reliable service and quality product.

I have been doing business with MCW for 10 years and never had a problem. I fax my order and its here in about 2 weeks. Paint is the only kind I use, his resin is very good. I have requested special colors and they have delivered. I wish more aftermarket business would match both MCW and the Modelhauses service and quality. I don't need high tech, just reliable service and quality product.

Well said Michael!

Isn't it interesting to note that the aftermarket companies with the fewest complaints and the best service are also those that don't have flashy websites? Must be the fact they have chosen to focus on the customer that has made them successful!

I have been buying MCW products for years, his automotive lacquers are all I use for spray painting bodies and interiors, and his resin products are very high quality. I use his mail order form with credit card info and usually have my order in 2 weeks or less. He has never failed to reply to my emails in a timely manner. I have met Dave at Toledo NNL a couple of times and he is always willing to spend whatever time necessary with me to discuss his products......he is a great resource for this hobby. I put him, Tom Coolidge, and Modelhaus in a category by themselves for quality products and service for us modelers.

I with everyone else on this, pay pal & fancy web sites are nice but quality product & service are what counts. MCW, Modelhaus, Replicas & Miniatures prove that day in & day out.

True..though Modelhaus does have online ordering, pretty painless. It is awkward and tedious to have to use old-time order by mail with MCW and R&M of Md, but it's worth the extra effort to get their product.

Edited by Rob Hall

I understand your Mail Concerns . I also an sympathetic with you about your Caution . Money Orders are the best . IIRC , Postal MO are insured . More costly , safer .

I am a customer of Dave Dodge , Don and Carol Holthause , Norm Veeber , Tom Coolidge since the beginning . Plus many others both come and gone . Alas some have passed . Most of the Bad Guys that have ripped us . Sharing these wrongful experiences , we spread the word . Most offenders are gone . Some simply have changed their names and continue . This is a quite different situation than when resin Casting started for model cars .

Dave , Don and Carol , Norm Veeber , and Tom Coolidge are all totally one person Operations . That being said , I wish this to remain the same as long as their health holds out . These people might get help packaging and shipping only . I don't think a successful small business should , expand Staff . This will raise cost of products , and destroy the Business . "If it works , don't fix it" is a Business Mantra . As increasing Staff to do a website , handling monies / Credit cards will do . At the same time I don't want the government forcing these "little Businesses" , Entrepreneurs , to hire Staff to track Tax Revenues . Making for increasing costs for extra Staff for either cause is the same result IMHO . . IMHO also , a Business owner has the right to decide how a Business runs . For them ; 'if it works , don't fix it ." Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

I couldn't imagine using Money Orders...seems so old fashioned and out of date.

^This. I do all of my buying online. I work weeks at a time, in a fly in camp with no access to the outer world aside from internet. So money order etc. is not an option for me. Sadly if a place doesn't accept payment online/creditcard/paypal...... I cannot deal with them.

That has been the only thing holding me back from ordering through MCW.

^This. I do all of my buying online. I work weeks at a time, in a fly in camp with no access to the outer world aside from internet. So money order etc. is not an option for me. Sadly if a place doesn't accept payment online/creditcard/paypal...... I cannot deal with them.

That has been the only thing holding me back from ordering through MCW.

Shoot the money to a fellow modeler and have him order for you. I wouldn't go without the product because i couldn't pay online. Where there's a will, there's a way.