Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose 65 Impala question

DaveM

Thanks for the input so far, but still hoping someone who has actually built this kit can tell me if it's kit design or just me...

I've built the '65 Impala twice. The Foose edition is the same kit with different wheels, valve covers and breather. It's not a fault with the kit.

I'm wondering if any who built this kit are having the same problem I am... It seems that the final assembly is marred by design errors - first of all, the slots for the radiator support are a little too far ahead of the actual support. Sure, you can muscle the support into position and epoxy it in place, but you better not do that until a problem with the dash and windshield are corrected - am I mistaken or is the dash too far forward so that it actually pushes the windshield out? I tried removing some of the dash (up to the first set of vents), but that didn't seem to be enough, and no matter how well glued the window seems to be, the dash keeps forcing it out of position (also, there could be a bit more clear plastic to aid in gluing the window in place... but then again, that might make the positioning of the windshield more difficult). Any help would be appreciated!

Although I haven't seen this kit yet, I'm pretty sure I know what your problem is. You talk about the radiator support being too far forward, and also the dash (and probably the entire interior for that matter...) are also too far forward. This means that something in the rear is not allowing the tub to sit flush in the back, which is pushing everything forward.

Now, since the tub has to be assembled with 10 different pieces, it's a good bet that something is not lined up correctly between them. Also, according to an article in another magazine (Google Revell '65 Chevy Impala Foose), there are no sizeable locator tabs in the body to tell you how it's supposed to go in. That coupled with unclear instructions for those parts and you get an idea of where this is going. However, I've found that it's often the door panels and dashboard not aligning correctly that causes problems like this.

Edited by Drake69

I've found that it's often the door panels and dashboard not aligning correctly that causes problems like this.

Hmmm... since the dash sits into the side panels and it fit perfectly there, I doubt that's the problem. There are 2 small dimples in the body that I had perfectly inset into holes in the package shelf extensions, and this didn't work - I had to remove the tub and lost the aligning dimples in the process. I'll check out the URL you sent. Thanks!

The 65 and 66 kit are based on a tool that was done in the late nineties. They are pretty good and don't usually have major fit issues. The main difference in the kits is that the 65 has the six round taillights while the 66 has the small square ones but both are correct to the year they represent. Both kits have a big block engine.

The 65 and 66 kit are based on a tool that was done in the late nineties. They are pretty good and don't usually have major fit issues. The main difference in the kits is that the 65 has the six round taillights while the 66 has the small square ones but both are correct to the year they represent. Both kits have a big block engine.

Hmmm... Model Roundup says that the 66 is "newly tooled" (http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/rmx-4250.htm).

Robin Bittner's review (a subscriber's extra published 12/22/10) says it's "new tooling".

Edited by fseva

Hmmm... Model Roundup says that the 66 is "newly tooled" (http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/rmx-4250.htm).

Robin Bittner's review (a subscriber's extra published 12/22/10) says it's "new tooling".

The key phrase here is "based on"...the 66 is much newer but shares chassis and engine parts with (one)of the 65s. (the other had a 409) hope this clears it up for you.....

The key phrase here is "based on"...the 66 is much newer but shares chassis and engine parts with (one)of the 65s. (the other had a 409) hope this clears it up for you.....

Not really... here is the exact wording from Model Roundup... "This newly tooled Revell kit features a highly detailed Turbo-Jet 396 V-8 with a four speed standard transmission. The interior is equipped with front bucket seats and center console. Unlike it's AMT predecessor of the same subject, the new Revell kit implements detailed front and rear suspension, and the tires are capped with stock-style wheel covers with spinners. The kit appears bone stock, however, decals with stock factory and custom graphics are included. The kit is molded in white, clear and transparent red with chrome plated parts and soft black tires."

Here's what the nationally published review said,"Revell’s new 1966 Impala SS has been one of the missing links in our Chevy chain for a long time. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard about its arrival, and quickly grabbed two of the kits.

As soon as I got them home, I checked them against Revell’s 1965 Impala and one of my personal original AMT 1966s; they aren’t the same. I thought maybe someone had used the 1965 molds and revised them. No sir: it’s new tooling."

Hope this helps explain why I'm still scratching my head...

Edited by fseva

The Model Roundup description would fit for the 65 (word for word... even the reference to the oringinal AMT kit).

The Revell kits are virtually the same,just different years. In other words, the term new tooling isn't all that relevent here, because both are "new tooling" compared to the decades old AMTs....so there are 2 "new" 65s(hardtop and convertible) and one "new" 66 hardtop.

Edited by mike 51

The Model Roundup description would fit for the 65 (word for word... even the reference to the oringinal AMT kit).

The Revell kits are virtually the same,just different years. In other words, the term new tooling isn't all that relevent here, because both are "new tooling" compared to the decades old AMTs....so there are 2 "new" 65s(hardtop and convertible) and one "new" 66 hardtop.

So, would the Foose version be considered a "new tooling"?

It's an update of the '90s era '65 with newly tooled wheels included.

Hmmm... I can see that the kit would not be referred to as a "new tooling", then. By the way, did Foose really design the wheels or did he just select a set that Revell had already used in another kit?

Hmmm... I can see that the kit would not be referred to as a "new tooling", then. By the way, did Foose really design the wheels or did he just select a set that Revell had already used in another kit?

Foose designed those wheels for an Impala he did on Overhaulin'. They were mimicking the stock SS hubcaps as a tribute.

14.jpg

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Could someone that has the Foose '65 Impala confirm whether or not the wheels in the kit have the same or different diameters?

The same diameter and depth. Also, the engine is the 396 Big Block with dress up valve covers and air cleaner. The Overhaulin car was a small block if I remember correctly. Also, the show car, if I recollect, had 18 front and 20 rear.

This is really what they mean, it's a modern tooling compared to one done when the real car was new. These kits are on par with anything Revell is doing now even though it's approaching twenty years old.There are parts of the 66 which are new, the body and taillights and maybe a few other bits but even the old stuff is quite well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong - I remember having straightened up the dashboard, thinking that it should lay flat at the top, but that just made the front edge that much closer to the glass! Instead on my second build, I followed the exact positioning required by the dashboard support below, and this then made the front of the dash angled down slightly, and that's all it needed to get the assembly perfect!

I see these are in the stores now. I looked at the box, and I see no mention of 2 in 1 or any such thing. I know the other foose kits tend to have the stock parts in them, but I wanted to make sure this one does before I drop the cash on it. I am hoping so, because I want to complete my "Impala Row with a couple of 65s.

Thanks,

Dave

sorry if someone else already posted this, i got lazy and didnt finish the thread, but here is the instructions it will list whats in the kit.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4190.pdf