Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volksrod

Obivion

I don't know if it is too far forward. I just did it like this because i liked the looks. When you look at the black one a few posts back i think then front wheels are a bit more forward than mine.

The wheel wells are sculpted. I took the original fenders and cut off the outside. I glued them at the inside on the "wrong" side. So the outside of the left fender is glued on the inside on the right hand side. Then closed the gap with plasicard. It sounds easy but it took me hours to get this. And still it is not ready.

Dennis

Edited by Obivion

I don't mean to jump on your thread, but since others have posted other VW RODS here, here is a model and a real one in the making, here is a VWROD I did a number of years ago4237219444_16d9d9c9c8.jpg and a VWROD that my son has been building for a few years now7725210304_47f894d03e.jpg7695606578_12ab98080a.jpgThis rod has a 140HP Corvair engine that will be hanging off the rear end. The top has hundreds of welded pieces in it......You can get an idea from this shot......7736780160_e1783492a5.jpgThe car has a full slider roof and will get a 4 inch section to the body and suicide doors......maybe you can get a few ideas from these.

7503874456_4f2098dcf0.jpg

Edited by Peter Lombardo

After a lot af filling and sanding I am almost finished the wheel wells. Now time to do the doors. What do you think? Shall I lift the lower door seams and make suicide doors...?

After that time to think about the front and rear lights and put some primer on it...

Dennis

post-13380-0-28373600-1393360014_thumb.j

nice job and i would ,eave the door seems , its not uncommon when a body is a bit channneled that when you open the door there is a raised floor .. also when you raise the doorline it might look weird and bulky ...

suicide doors could be cool !!

i would get rid of those molded hinges and keep the door flat and only put a handle at the front ... no new hinges ??

Great job so far! I like this style and have plans to build my own. You should see my take on this theme, along with a couple others, coming soon. I am interested to see yours progress. I started with the crappy pink one, so anything will be an improvement.

I would say keep the door lines going all the way to the bottom, and if you are going suicide, try looking at the older versions that have the side vents. I think having both of those opening the same will look good.

Keep us posted,

Mike

Well, I think the body is ready for the basecoat this weekend. Today I did the following.

Removed the doorhinges to make suicide doors. Still not sure if I should make new hinges at the rear side of the doors. I removed also holes for the doorhandles. I filled the lower doorlines and the vertical ones go all the way down now...

Dennis

post-13380-0-42451800-1393623024_thumb.j