Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene?

Try the actual sources. There are catalogs of all the products available, online, plus lots more info.

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

http://www.plastruct.com/

Evergreen's site has an e-mail link that will tell you where the nearest Evergreen dealer is to your location.

Plastruct will sell to you directly, and ship it to you.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

"Supplies" such as Evergreen and Plastruct styrene strips, sheets and shapes are very much specialty items, and as such are pretty much out of the realm of what stores such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby or AC Moore are going to stock--given that these stores cater primarily to women "crafters"; model kits and basic supplies being but a sideline (an important sideline for Hobby Lobby of course, but nonetheless not a major department for them).

As Bill suggested, online works. If you cannot get to a regular hobby shop carrying these supplies, there is one out there who deals online, Wm. K. Walthers

www.walthers.com Walthers will ship directly to you and also guide you to a local shop near you who buys from them. And, they do stock the entire range of Evergreen styrene.

Art

I have the same problem as you LOL....I just put in a large order from Hobby Town in Indianapolis only took a few days was happy with their service and selection ..

They also have a store in Newton New Jersey , Here is the link.. http://www.hobbytown.com/Category/Plastics/1973/

I'll second that on the Hobbytown USA in Indianapolis. That is one very nicely stocked hobby shop, and they stock the full line of both Evergeen and Plastruct styrene shapes.

Art

If you like to have a large stock on hand your best bet is to get it from a plastics supply. I recently bought five 4' x 8' sheets for $86.00. I cut them

down to a manageable size. Now I have all the styrene I will need for a very long time.

Of course, this all depends on just what one needs styrene stock FOR. Sheet stock, of course has a multitude of uses, but unless one has the very precise saws with which to cut that into the myriad of small, thin strips to accurate dimensions, a large stock of sheet material is little more than that, a large stock of sheet material. It all depends, does it not, on what kind and type of projects a particular modeler has in mind, or so it would seem. (I tend to go to my two plastic storage boxes and dig though perhaps a hundred different Evergreen polybags to find that one size thin strip stock that will let me get to where I want to be on a project.

Art

I find that my X-acto knife is fine for cutting styrene, I use a scroll saw to rough cut thick sheet ( .040 and thicker ) and then sand to the final shape.

I fine tune all my cut styrene with sand paper no matter what I cut it with. If I need a circle I use a circle template or a compass, I still sand too make

it fit. It dosen't matter if you have one sheet or a hundred you still have to cut with the tools available to you. You don't need any expensive tools.

Bill

If you like to have a large stock on hand your best bet is to get it from a plastics supply. I recently bought five 4' x 8' sheets for $86.00. I cut them

down to a manageable size. Now I have all the styrene I will need for a very long time.

Ummm...what about angle, channel, round, square and rectangular tube, half-round and 1/4 round strip, etc? I use these constantly in a multitude of sizes and you can't make them from flat stock in any efficient manner.

The easiest way to get styrene (or anything, for that matter) is to do a google search. In about two seconds you will have literally hundreds of sources, all of which are just a few mouse clicks away. Any time, day or night, weekends and holidays included. The internet is the world's largest hobby shop, with the world's largest inventory, they never close, and they ship to your door.

Here's one to start you off:

http://www.google.com/#q=styrene&safe=off&tbm=shop

Ummm...what about angle, channel, round, square and rectangular tube, half-round and 1/4 round strip, etc? I use these constantly in a multitude of sizes and you can't make them from flat stock in any efficient manner.

Not to mention consistently accurate, straight strip stock anywhere from .005" to .250"?

TJ if you are in Vineland, NJ look up AAA Hobbies in Magnolia. This is the storefront for Stevens International, the large hobby wholesaler and distributor. Their shop is rather well stocked with Evergreen and Plastruct plastic.

And in NJ, if you are looking for a good overview of the hobby, the aftermarket and over 2000 great builds, come on up to Wayne, NJ for NNL East on April 26th. Better yet, come stay in our host hotel and be at our Friday night event. Nobody is a stranger there, tap me on the shoulder and I'll introduce you to a lot of folks you see here on the board.

www.nnleast.com