Model Cars Magazine Forum

What wheels and tires for the Corvette Grand Sport from R&MofM?

The tires in the Grand Sport kit are unusable and I want to replace them. I also want to replace the spare tire/wheel that is molded in with the hold down. I don't know what those particular wheels and tires are. I have found a photo copied version of Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland's catalog, but there are no pictures. If I need to, i will just buy a new set of 5 wheels to fit their tires

What tires would I be looking for?

What wheels am I looking for? I'm sure it's a version of Halibrand?

Not sure I agree with your concern over the wheels & tires. I think the wheels are beautiful. I wish the tires had a better finish on them but I think they are correct. Historic Racing Miniatures offers several very nice Halbrands, if you are interested in replacing them.

Untitled%20Photo4.jpg

Wait, we are talking about the Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport-right?

Yes. My tires are warped and cupped and cannot be used. If I sanded the tread surface flat, I would lose a good 1/8" of tire or more.

I have sent several emails to HRM with no response. I know he has health issues and a massive backlog of orders, and I've all but lost hope. That's why I am looking into RMM. I hear nothing but good things, but it's hard to find stuff with no website or catalog. I suppose I should just call.

As far as the wheels, they are perfectly fine, but the spare wheel/tire/hold-down are molded together and I wanted to replace it with a proper piece. I was saying that if the new wheel tire for the psare was different than the kit wheels, then I would just buy a set of 5 wheels/tires so everything matched.

The one thing I have noticed with everyone's builds of this kit is the stance and tire sidewall. This car sits really low in real life, and the kit sits high. I need to get this thing as low as I can, and those chunky tires don't help.

Edited by Quick GMC

Stradasports carries HRM's stuff and they have photos as well. I would try ordering through them. The GS's ran some fat tires. If yours are unusable you might try the tires from Fujimi/Revells GT40. Not sure they will fit the GS wheels however. I think the back tires would be okay but not sure about the front as it is quite a bit smaller

1963GS001-02.jpg

Stradasports carries HRM's stuff and they have photos as well. I would try ordering through them. The GS's ran some fat tires. If yours are unusable you might try the tires from Fujimi/Revells GT40. Not sure they will fit the GS wheels however. I think the back tires would be okay but not sure about the front as it is quite a bit smaller

1963GS001-02.jpg

Thank you. Do you happen know the type of tire, or approximate size the Grand Sport would have used? RMM has a list of tire types and sizes, but I have no idea what I am looking for.

I believe they all ran Firestones, not sure of the size. I'll check some of my reference this evening and see if I can find something. E-mail Kevin at Stradasports he might have a suggestion. Norm at R&MCo is more of a hot rod guy.

That's great, thank you.

I spoke with RMM today and he does not have any replacement tires for this car. He did refer me to HRM for the wheels and stuff I needed. I ended up ordering a bunch of Webers to try out for my Cobra project, as well as a few other things. I will contact Strada for the HRM parts.

Here is the information on the wheel/tire sizes:

Wheels:

Front: 9.5/15

Rear: 11/15

Tires

Front: 7.10/7.60-15

Rear: 8.00/8.20-15

I have found original photos of the cars on Goodyear and on Firestone. The Goodyear's were "Stock Car Specials". Not "Sports Car Specials" but "Stock Car Specials". The Firestone's were "SS170TW"