Model Cars Magazine Forum

why isn't super clean working?

I have seen a lot of people on here are using super clean to strip paint. Sunday morning I bought 2 gallons to give it a try. I have had 2 cars soaking since then and it has barely touched the paint. Both cars were painted with duplicolor white primer nail polish base color and duplicolor clear. I took them out yesterday and tried scrubbing with a toothbrush but that did nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by dwayne4385

Wait a second! There is nothing wrong with the stripper. You painted with a lacquer. Lye based strippers have never done very well with lacquers.

Here's what you do. Sand down to the primer coat in as many places as you can. Let the lye attack the primer coat. I've never seen any primer stand up to it. The lye will disolve the primer and the paint will slough off like a snake skin. It will not be done quickly. It's gonna take a few days. This will work. You just have two very hard materials between the clear and the color coat.

the super clean I got a month ago works fine, but doesn't work for everything. fall back position is brake fluid or possibly oven cleaner or even the strong alcohol. but I highly doubt the product has changed to not work anymore; it works for me with modelmaster enamel still...never did seem to do much for Tamiya and other quasi lacquers. that said it still takes a day or so to even make a dent in enamel unless it is very freshly sprayed on. once it starts biting in though, it will strip to the bone or at least the primer

jb