Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Arii Ford GT40

afx

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? I know it is a pretty simple kit from the pictures I have seen but what does the body look like? Is it accurate and could it be a good starting point for the '65 Daytona winner? The box incorrectly identifies the car as the '64 winner.

photo2-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

Well it says "1964 Daytona Grand Prix Winners Type" wich is an exaggeration and not true since the Ford GT and GT40 didn't win anything before the Daytona Race in 1965, and this car had #72 only at the 1965 Daytona race entered by Shelby American.

At the 1965 Daytona race car #73 won (also entered by Shelby American) and the #72 came 3:rd, the #73 car wich is chassis #GT/103 also came 2:nd in the 1965 Sebring Race, the #72 car was chassis #GT/104 and both were of the 12 GT prototypes made before the final production Mk I and Mk II cars wich was assigned GT40 P/1000-GT40 P/1074 chassis numbers.

I don't have a clue how this model kit is as I only have seen some pictures of it, but it doesn't look that promising.

JC, i have one. it's ok. i don't like the way the rear body panel and front lower section is seperate. i bought the LS brand just for the awesome set of aluminum rims

and halibrand style wheel inserts. i have the rest of the kit minus wheels if you want to trade for something.

gt40001_zps1c2d712c.jpg

To my knowledge the LS/Arii, Aurora/Revell and IMC/Testors Ford GT kits are the only model kits of the early GT prototype, yes it's was only called GT so the boxart on the LS/Arii kit is wrong there too, the GT40 name came later with the production GT40 Mk I cars wich are a bit different from the early GT's.

The Aurora/Revell and the IMC/Testors kits are full detail, the Aurora/Revell GT kit has only one engine option, the 260-289 with four Webers, the IMC/Testors GT kit includes three engine options, a 260-289 four Weber small block and an injected 255 Indy motor wich both are correct for the GT as both were used...they also included a 2X4bbl 427 SOHC for some reason wich was never used in this car as far as I know. :o

Even the IMC/Testors GT40 Mk I and Mk II kits has the 289 small block and the 255 Indy engine options from the GT kit together with a single 4bbl 427 (not SOHC), allthough the real Mk II's was only raced with the 427 and the Mk I's only with small block.

All depends on what you're going to do, but I agree with vamach1, if you can find an Aurora/Revell or an IMC/Testors kit I think you'll have a better starting point.

Here are some more pics of both kits (ARII and Revell/Aurora). The ARII kit is like a slot car with a chassis. The Revell/Aurora kit has an engine.

Exactly what you say: the Arii kit is a slot car with a (Generic) chassis and interior:

I have the Arii Ford GT, the Chaparral 2C and the Porsche 906/Carrera 6 - all have the VERY SAME interior and chassis!