Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I bidding against you?

For me it would only be if you were bidding for 1950's promos, of which I now have pretty much all that I think I can get for a reasonable price. When the prices start inching up towards $100 is when I back off. The same goes for kits or builtups of late 50's models. The prices on those usually go through the roof pretty quickly.

I won a bid for Foti Camaro several years ago, then saw the guy ranting about it on BriansModelCars.com :P

I stopped trying to bid on stuff, I just save up and buy what I want from the people I like to buy from. Unless it's impossible to find elsewhere.

Yes. I've posted pictures of stuff I won and others have remarked that they too had bid on it. And the other way around too! We're a small community. In fact, this week I bid on a bunch of nicely done early 1960s custom builds that a model friend alerted me to. I did put what I thought was a high bid into my sniping software and was dismayed that I lost each one by one bid increment above my bid!

The sad part for me was that these were all hand built customs with a common theme that I would have liked to preserve in my old custom collection. My fear is that they were won by guys who are going to strip them down and we'll lose all that history! In this case I'd be relieved if someone here told me they had them and they were safe!

I actually filter out all Buy It Now exclusive auctions. This is primarily because the items I search for most often are usually listed by a certain retailer with part out listings or high price listings...

You can set it in your settings to exclude certain sellers. That way nothing from that particular seller or sellers will show up.

Most likely not, I dont waste my time with bidding anymore, 9 out 10 times, the item I want sells more then what I can get it else where, its rare that I bid anymore, to many idiots, and shill bidding to deal with.

Why on earth do these people spend 7 days driving up the cost for the item that they wanted to get cheap, makes zero sense , I bet I could sell my ocean front property here in AZ to them.

Edited by martinfan5

I don't have saved searches, though.

I have many active saved searches, most looking for very obscure items for my specialized stamp collection. I collect a single stamp from 1903-1909. When an item I need shows up it is unique and rare. Nothing in model cars compares. The irony is that the unique specialized items I see aren't expensive. I'll see something with a $10 start price. If I absolutely want it, I bid $100, which is in effect a BUY at any price bid. I usually win those for $20-50. I've never been pushed up to my max or outbid.

When I'm looking for a specific model, I set a search. For instance I was looking for a Chevette. So I set the search for both the kit and promo categories. When a suitable target popped up in an email, I'd place a low bid in my sniper program. That way I'd be bidding six seconds before the auction's end so nobody could bid against my bid. If I win great, if I don't oh well. Another one will show up in another search within a week or two. With the Chevette search, I bought a kit (most sold in excess of $50, some up to $100) for $26. And I won a promo for $16. Many finished at prices much higher than I would pay. I was just patient. That's the strategy you need to play.