Model Cars Magazine Forum

Panel Scriber

ok, do not want to hijack this tread, hopefully will add to it, for those who use panel scribers, are there any benefits to using one over the back of a #11 blade? been thinking about buying one, could use the education along with Greg.

A panel scriber actually removes a fine hair of plastic every time you make a pass with it. I find that the back of a number 11 exacto blade just pushes the styrene out of the way. That is not a big issue if you are opening a panel but if you are just deepening the panel lines it doesn't really work that well I find. One warning about a panel scriber, as you make the groove deeper the panel scribe also makes it slightly wider due to the design of the tool. A panel scriber is also great for creating panel openings. I found mine to be well worth the money that I paid for it.

I use dental picks and a razor blade.

A dental pick with get you the depth quickly, without the risk of running a razor blade up and over the panel

The back of a razor blade can be used lightly after the pick to come through and clean up any plastic left behind.

like mentioned before, they will push plastic out of the way, so the panel line has to be cleaned out.

A panel scriber actually removes a fine hair of plastic every time you make a pass with it. I find that the back of a number 11 exacto blade just pushes the styrene out of the way. That is not a big issue if you are opening a panel but if you are just deepening the panel lines it doesn't really work that well I find. One warning about a panel scriber, as you make the groove deeper the panel scribe also makes it slightly wider due to the design of the tool. A panel scriber is also great for creating panel openings. I found mine to be well worth the money that I paid for it.

After primer coats, several passes of color and several passes of clear coat I find I start to lose some of the definition on the bodies panel lines. I also noticed the venting some bodies have in the cowl start to get lost also. My intent is to actually remove a fine hair of plastic and deepen the panel line definition only. I do not wish to open the panel up. I know that some of you use the true backwards X-Acto blade or dentist pick. However, I`m also aware that there several manufacturers marketing 'panel scribes". Do any of you use one of them and if so what are the pros and cons of the available manufactured panel scribes out there?

I use a Bare Metal Foil Scribber as well as the back of an X-Acto blade. depending on what I am scribing drives what tool i will use. Biggest thing I found with the X-Acto Blade is that I break the very tip off it and have found if I try to go to fast with the X-Acto Blade at first it tends to jump out of the groove so I tend to take my time with it. Find what works the best for you

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is made by UMM and is just right for my hand. I can manage tight curves and it is very controllable.

Dr Glueblob:

I discovered that my LHS had a UMM scribe in stock, so I for the lack of being able to acquire anything else immediately I decided to buy it.. Boy was I surprised by how nicely it worked! With a little practice I was able to negotiate tight curves quite successfully; unlike using the back of an X-Acto number 11 blade. The UMM scribe cleanly removes a very fine hair of plastic every time you make a pass. With some practice it does an excellent job of deepening the panel lines. It is far more controllable than the back of a X-Acto blade.

Thanks for recommendation!

For those that are using the tool for the first time take the suggestion that my LHS owner gave me "Practice on a junk body to get the feel of the UMM scribe before you take on good body."

Miatatom:

I have placed an order for the RB Productions Scribe-R aka Rabu Scribe-R; which is the photo-etched scribing tool you suggested. Fortunately, I was able to locates a U.S.distributor for the item. It is currently on back-order. However, I will let everyone know what my experience with it was like once it arrives.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

• 2 weeks later...

Miatatom:

I have placed an order for the RB Productions Scribe-R aka Rabu Scribe-R; which is the photo-etched scribing tool you suggested. Fortunately, I was able to locates a U.S.distributor for the item. It is currently on back-order. However, I will let everyone know what my experience with it was like once it arrives.

Got a call from my LHS CRM Hobby (St Louis Mo.) that the RB Productions Scribe-R was in..many thanks to the propritor Chris M.

I`ll get it assembled this evening and give her a try.

P.S.

Stevens International Hobby is another U.S. source for the scrib tool as well.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Keep us posted on the progress.

Well it was a bit challenging to understand the instructions that RB Productions suppiled on how to assemble the scribe. In-fact I broke the first scrib blade but, fourtunatly RB Productions supplies three in the pack. However, as luck would have it I inadvertently stumbled upon two reviews of the tool on You Tube.

The second You Tube review included the reviewer assemblying the scriber. It was his first time assemblying the scirbe as well; and he also fumbled with assembly as well. So, I didnt feel like a total cluts after seeing that. However, eventually he got it assembled and watching that second clip provided some very helpful guideance. Now, once I got the scriber assembled I tried it on a scrap body. I have to report that I was VERY impressed with how it shaved an ultra fine line of plastic from the panel line. It didnt widen the panel line at all, it just made a nice super thin furrow. Like all scriber's it took a bite of pratice but in short order I was humming righ along. IMHO I would highly recommend giving the RB Productions scrib tool a whirl. Many thanks to Miatatom for the recommendation.

P.S.

I am going to attempt to attach 2 video tutorial reviews of the RB Productions scrib I found on You Tube. These will help shed some light on this neat tool as well as provide a side by side comparison of RB Productions scrib tool with the Tamaiya scribe tool.

Genessis Models website: RB Productions & Tamaiya scrib tool comparsion

http://youtu.be/QX1yl2R-bQI

HQ Bunker: Assembly of RB Productions Scrib

http://youtu.be/TAOjhGp82KA

Edited by 69NovaYenko