Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Chevy HT Lead Sled

W-409

There is an ongoing Community Build on Finnish Model Car Association's Forum. It's about '51 Chevrolets. My original plan was to build a Factory Stock '51 Chevy Convertible, but when a couple of guys built super nice Customs, I had to start cutting mine, too.

Instead of cuttin' the Convertible, I traded a '51 Chevy HT body from Matti (ChevyCoupe41) and my plan is to install that one on Convertible's chassis and interior. I want mine to be a little different, though I don't want to build a Full Custom. I thought that Chopping the top or stretching the rear fenders might not be a good idea, so I decided to concentrate on grille and bumper area. I remembered that I have one pretty cool Custom grille somewhere, and as I found it, styrene started to fly and this is what I was able to do today...

The Starting Point:

ff5bc521-d84c-413e-a167-16fc52af738d.jpg

37c337d1-7dfb-47dd-bfcd-1c53e8f75060.jpg

How it looks now:

96be0c38-9329-48b4-ad8d-97d4d5ca52ab.jpg

a9e4be13-b8e8-4d20-9a49-eb517e705e94.jpg

f46db12b-e464-49a5-8596-bdd0644c370c.jpg

There's still a lot to do with that front end to fill all of those gaps and shape everything up. But I'd like to hear suggestions on how to improve the styling, I mean that what else modifications I could do or something like that..?

Thanks Guys!

That might be a Corvette grille. Now when I think about it, I'm pretty sure it is. It would be just right size and shape for a 'Vette.

The reason why there's no hood in these last pics is that the only hood I have is warped and it won't fit on place. Or if it does, it bends the fenders. I gotta get another hood from somewhere, but I'll snap a picture or two with the warped one tomorrow. :)

Thanks Guys!

That link on The H.A.M.B is a great source for photos and ideas. I already got a couple of ideas I want to do with this one.

Sorry it took a while to get these photos posted. I was really busy with my 1:1 Chevy Van as I was cleaning, washing and waxing it from outside and inside. Anyway here are three pics with the warped hood on:

456d4470-2384-441e-9cb5-563aed128e33.jpg

64a86f43-7ad4-4eb6-8215-29c218e13e41.jpg

3b2737f1-3b05-42a9-ada8-929a4a00c5fe.jpg

HMMM maybe a litte gentle persuasion after heating it up with like a hair dryer could do the trick ??

on the other hand and thats hard to see from these pictures giving the sides a tad more room or shave a little bit of the left side (seen from the last picture) would help ??

Thanks Richard, Larry and Dave!

I will probably to to straighten up the hood. I don't know how it actually works, as I've never tried it before and I'm bit afraid that I'm going to ruin the part, but it's worth a try anyway as that hood can't be used if it's warped that badly. The body is straight, I just checked it. I also tried to take pics of the hood, but none of them showed the warping, even if it can be seen clearly in person. Well I'll try to fix it.

Here's just a little update. I added quite a lot little pieces of styrene on the front end to make the grille fit better and to fill little holes that were present. As everything looked good enough, I put some putty on the front end. Once it dries completely, I'll sand it and then we'll see where I am at. I should start the engine while waiting for that.

c432ec43-fb32-4b8b-9b9c-55bb41edce73.jpg

This is the Custom version's rear bumper from this kit. Luckily I have two of these, as I'll cut this one and use it as front bumper. Then it will be sprayed with Alclad as the grille.

9832243d-d114-4154-9973-eb72a248149e.jpg

Edited by W-409

Nico if you try to twist the hood and the plastic goes whiter then the rest of the hood then you went to far just tease it strait a little at a time and it will come strait . Also try putting it in very hot water for a few moments to softern the plastic you will be surprised how far you can bend it before it breaks. Good luck.

Dave

Thanks a lot, Everyone! I also hope I can fix the hood, and I'll try to bend it back on the Weekend. I think I'll try with hot water first, thanks again everyone for the suggestions - and of course thanks for the kind words, too!

I have nothing to show, even though I've been doing some putty work with the body. I just put on another coat of putty, and I'll sand it smooth tomorrow. If I can get it pretty smooth, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks Darryl! I've wanted to visit in Swedish Model Car Show for a long time, and when looking at pictures from last year, GGG seems to be a great show. Another thing that I really like in Swedish shows is the amount of Hot Rods and Customs, as we don't have so many of them in here. But looks like it's on the same time as FHRA Drag Race Week at Alastaro, and I'll be driving Stock & Super Stock there...

Anyway here's a little update. My friend Matti (ChevyCoupe41) was telling me I should make a Tuck 'n Roll style Custom interior for this one, so I took my saw and started cutting the seats. Once I had cut some plastic away, I filled the holes with sheet styrene. I'll try to put on the actual upholstery tomorrow, and then I need to do the same operation for the back seat.

49561759-24e7-4b4a-a233-6b95f7275145.jpg
3a280eb2-f093-468e-9758-fd5804c8ad6b.jpg

I started the engine, too. While I was planning what Custom/Speed Parts I should install on the engine, Go Getters' Loud Pipes & Lead Feet came from my record player, I thought "Why Not" and started building Blower Intake Manifold for this one. This is how it might look, if it will fit under the hood.

4804cbf2-a88d-40d1-9eb2-1723a25686c7.jpg
8b3e8cf4-dc52-4426-bb97-122993e78a9f.jpg
198c1234-609d-453d-80cd-ca954645785f.jpg
49e10db3-08a4-4a81-8faf-d7b59fa6f870.jpg