Model Cars Magazine Forum

Second Slingster Build: Lo$t Wage$ 60s-style dragster

Doctordarryl

Mark up another build I wanted to do for quite some time; a low buck 60s style dragster.
I used the Buick engine from the Revell Tony Nancy 22Jr roadster kit along with the in-out box. The injector scoop is from a BluePrinter parts pack. I used a MAD magneto with a Scale Auto Details decal for the top of the cap. The front wire wheels were PE items from Machined Aluminum Specialties as was the Moon tank and blower drive belt. The rear slicks were from a recent AMT parts pack as were the rear wheels. However, the rear wheels were modified and consist of 14 pieces for each wheel. The bar bell weight stack (ballast) was a modified item from Scale Auto Details.
I modified the front engine cover and cast a fuel pump extension to go with the Tony Nancy kit's Enderle fuel pump.
The body and frame were airbrushed with Tamiya Light Pearl Blue. After applying the decals, I airbrushed Testors Clear on the body. The engine block was airbrushed with Tamiya Gloss Black. I added an oil filter on the right side and freeze plugs on both sides. I used Arrowhead Aluminum turned aluminum blower pulleys and Detail Master oil breather caps on K&S aluminum tubing extensions.
Folks from the Lehigh Valley might like the Vargo Dragway sticker on the body (seen in the side view just behind the steering arm). I saw dragsters like this at Vargo in the early 60s when I hung out there. The Lo$t Wage$ name reminds me of the old adage - "if you want to make $1,000,000 racing, start with $10,000,000".

I have plans for a few more builds from this great kit from Monogram. I will be offering more decal sets through Scale Auto Details as well.

post-7848-0-72436200-1396466444_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-24247700-1396466452_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-89022100-1396466459_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-79133000-1396466468_thumb.jp

Keep Building!!!!

WOW! knock yer socks off wow. You mentioned Arrowhead Aluminum like you just went to the corner store.Are they back in business ? :o

x2 :) Greg I bought some things from Dwayne at Arrowhead about the middle of last year and I was just on his website about two weeks ago so I assume he is still making some stuff!! ;)

Like others have said, very nice build Darryl. Great looking model. I especially like your last photo. It looks like the guy in your photo may be carrying a helmet? Is he getting ready to race? And if so, I like that you have him dressed in what looks like sweatshirt and shorts! Shorts!? Not the best idea. I do know that in the early days of drag racing, few if any, wore any type of flame resistant racing suit. But, I wonder if anybody ever did drive their dragster in compition wearing shorts? In the '50s I could see happening!

Again, very nice model.

Scott Aho

WOW! knock yer socks off wow. You mentioned Arrowhead Aluminum like you just went to the corner store.Are they back in business ? :o

Greg,

No they went out of business 6-8 years ago. They stiffed a lot of people who bought on eBay and I was one of them. I had a good supply of some of their better parts.

Darryl, your opinion , this kit, VS the AMT Double Dragster ? :huh:

Greg,

Both kits are nice but it is hard to objectively compare a kit engineered more than 50 years ago with one engineered a year ago. On that basis. the Monogram Slingster wins hands down - a much better engineered kit but it is like comparing a 19641/2 Mustang with a 2015 Mustang and asking which is better. The collector might prefer the 19641/2 Mustang and the car nut (like me) might prefer the 2015 Mustang. Again in terms of engineering. the 2015 is not comprised of cast off Falcon parts.

x2 :) Greg I bought some things from Dwayne at Arrowhead about the middle of last year and I was just on his website about two weeks ago so I assume he is still making some stuff!! ;)

I got stiffed for about $50 on eBay in June of 2008. I must have sent a dozen e-mails over the past 6 years. I went to their website and it is still up. I forwarded the PayPal invoice to the parts I won on eBay in 2008 to the only Arrowhead e-mail address I had. I noticed that you were put into an unending loop if you click the Contact Us tab on their web site. Does anyone have a current e0-mail address for Arrowhead Aluminum? They know me well since I bought a ton of stuff from them and always used to stop and chat with them at shows so I was very disappointing when I got stiffed.