Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone make the 73 firebird?

Robin... Many years ago they did make a promo and ether MPC or AMT made one but there very hard to find. I did have a 72,72,73,74,75 promos but they were taken when my house was broken into just before Christmas last year...sorry I cant help any more than that for you but they were made. I am trying to find a 75 to build a replica of a car I once owned.

You're probably best off paying the price and buying an original MPC annual '73 kit. If you want to upgrade it, you can use the chassis from the AMT '70.5 Z/28 or Baldwin Motion Camaro kits underneath.

Thanks for the answers. Really want to get a hold of One. My father in law had a 70,72 and a 73 he was really attached to but then along came the wife and kids so now the Pontiac's are just sweet memories. Wanted to build a replica for his birthday.

I think I'll see if ratnasty will be willing to ship a transkit all the way to Sweden.

What kit chassis and engine can I build it around? Anyone tried them?

I'm completely lost on the Pontiac's unfortunately. I think it's a trans am, post a picture later, some of you guys know a lot more about them and might help me.

Can't ask my FIL about it since its a... Surprise

Feel free to PM me or ask about them I use to own a few of them...we had a lot of old Pontiacs in our family.

So, here's the only remaining picture of the car. Not much, but it think I can make a somewhat proper replica of the now long lost car. (if I can get a hold of a kit)

So, is it a 73 t/a or am I more lost than I thought?

It's not a Trans Am, at least if the fenders are still factory. Factory T/A fenders have an air extractor in them, so this car appears to be a Firebird with some aftermarket fender flares and front spoiler. Hard to tell if the hood simply had a hole cut in it for the air cleaner to poke through or if a T/A style Shaker hood was added, but if you want a reasonably close replica without breaking the bank, pick up a 1/24 Monogram/Revell (it was labeled as both, depending upon when it was released) '70 Pontiac Trans Am kit and use that. They're easy to find and there will already be a hole in the hood.

It's not a Trans Am, at least if the fenders are still factory. Factory T/A fenders have an air extractor in them, so this car appears to be a Firebird with some aftermarket fender flares and front spoiler. Hard to tell if the hood simply had a hole cut in it for the air cleaner to poke through or if a T/A style Shaker hood was added, but if you want a reasonably close replica without breaking the bank, pick up a 1/24 Monogram/Revell (it was labeled as both, depending upon when it was released) '70 Pontiac Trans Am kit and use that. They're easy to find and there will already be a hole in the hood.

Wow, thanks! So the '70 t/a is the closest I'll get box stock? Don't really know much about the car, and as I said I can't ask him about it. The fenders may be something custom made, he was kinda into the custom/pro touring scene here in Sweden.

Thanks for all the help!

One last thing, I know it's kind of hard to see, but the rims and tires, any clues? Aftermarket or kit inkluded doesn't matter really.

I believe those wheels are Amercian Racing "Nugget" wheels, and you can find similar wheels in some AMT or MPC '90s Chevy C/K series pickup kits, though they will no be as deep as what I see in your picture.

The rear tires look like bias-ply tires, so if you decide to use the 1/25 Monogram '70 T/A kit, the Arii Mickey Thompson rubber tires would work great on the rear.

Here's a box side view of the 1/24 '70 T/A, in which you can see the air extractors/fender vents I mentioned. These were only used on Trans Ams, and while the wheel spats were also exclusive to T/As (and not used on Esprits nor Formulas) your FIL's car has aftermarket flares and spoilers, so you could probably incorporate them without too much trouble, and you'd need to add them to an original MPC Formula body, too.

70tamd10.2.jpg

70tamd10.1.jpg

Here's the MPC '73 Firebird kit:

73frmd10.1.jpg

Thanks again!

The MPC 73-kit looks amazing. Bet it's a blast to build oob.

I think I'll go with the 70 monogram/revell. Seems easier to find, and since either of them needs a fair amount of scratch building. However, knowing myself I'll probably search for the MPC aswell. Would be awesome if I could get one.

Robin, I gave up shopping for the MPC kit because I wouldn't pay the going rate ($100.00 - $150.00) for an unbuilt kit. I just checked ebay and promos are going for over $100.00!

In addition to the points Casey made, the Monogram kit has a much better engine and chassis, and while it's saddled with that mold-everything-together engine bay, a good modeler can detail paint them as separate pieces, whereas the MPC kit is kind of sparse under the hood.

If this site doesn't have a How-to-add-fender-flares tutorial, I'd bet you could find a YouTube video that would explain it.

Please post pics of your work as you go. This sounds like a neat project.

Robin, I gave up shopping for the MPC kit because I wouldn't pay the going rate ($100.00 - $150.00) for an unbuilt kit. I just checked ebay and promos are going for over $100.00!

In addition to the points Casey made, the Monogram kit has a much better engine and chassis, and while it's saddled with that mold-everything-together engine bay, a good modeler can detail paint them as separate pieces, whereas the MPC kit is kind of sparse under the hood.

If this site doesn't have a How-to-add-fender-flares tutorial, I'd bet you could find a YouTube video that would explain it.

Please post pics of your work as you go. This sounds like a neat project.

Haha yeah, I took a quick look yesterday and wow, MPC is out of the question.

Of course I'll share the project, along with my other current ones.

I agree with the theory that it's a Firebird with fender flare kit, I think I see aftermarket rear window louvers/slats that were popular back in the 70's and 80's have been added also.

I know it probly can't be seen from that photo but TA steering wheel was very different than the regular Firebird steering wheel. A steering wheel from a late 60's GTO kit will be closer than the TA steering wheel.

you might check to see if there is a resin trans kit for turning the 70 TA into a 73 but the differences won't be big enough to affect the basic configuration of the monogram kit.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, based on the monogram bboxart I've already started planning the scratch building. The fender flares, deepening of the grille, the rear window "flares" and the mandatory filling and sanding.

Don't know how much work I'll be shaving off the build process by buying a resin 73, but the risk of ruining it would become significantly bigger. I have no experience with resin and almost none of the purple stuff paint stripping solutions are available in Sweden.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, based on the monogram bboxart I've already started planning the scratch building. The fender flares, deepening of the grille, the rear window "flares" and the mandatory filling and sanding.

Don't know how much work I'll be shaving off the build process by buying a resin 73, but the risk of ruining it would become significantly bigger. I have no experience with resin and almost none of the purple stuff paint stripping solutions are available in Sweden.

"trans-kit" are usually a small group of parts used to make a different body style from the body style made by the manufacturers...like replacing the bumpers, grilles or hood. I know someone makes/sells formula-400 hoods that have the two front scoops...maybe that resin caster has plain firebird hood/grilles.

just giving you options.

"trans-kit" are usually a small group of parts used to make a different body style from the body style made by the manufacturers...like replacing the bumpers, grilles or hood. I know someone makes/sells formula-400 hoods that have the two front scoops...maybe that resin caster has plain firebird hood/grilles.

just giving you options.

Ahhh! Thought you meant a whole new body in resin.

That actually sounds great, I'll have a look.

Thanks for the info. Getting the feeling this will be a fun build.