Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Monogram Blue Bandito '29 Ford Street Rod

Austin T

Did get 'official' confirmation that the kit is no longer in production and the kits in the system are all there will be.....no rerun of the kit will happen. No real reason given. Maybe the kit and parts will reappear in a different form later???

Get them while you can!!

• 5 weeks later...

Did get 'official' confirmation that the kit is no longer in production and the kits in the system are all there will be.....no rerun of the kit will happen. No real reason given. Maybe the kit and parts will reappear in a different form later???

Get them while you can!!

With that in mind, I'm still seeing them on the shelves of local hobby shops and fair prices on Ebay. :huh: Doesn't make sence. :o

Discontinuation after a fairly short run.... still a selection in hobby shops....prices haven't jumped yet...

....I'm thinking maybe this kit isn't the hot seller they'd initially thought it would be?

Could be, but there are still fresh SSP Black Widows on the shelves at most of the shops I frequent.

Yep, same here. Makes no sense they'd release a kit in the SSP line, then release it as a regular kit, unless there was a huge demand for it and hobby shops sold out of the SSP versions. Ah well, the Blue Beetle Bandito is still easily found for those who want one.

• 1 year later...

it would appear that this version of the Blue Bandito is not a 100% faithful repop of the Blue Beetle truck.

the original Blue Beetle truck didn't have spoked mag wheels on the front.

but since they seem to have the proper set of wheel molds I don't see why they can't / won't repop the "Little Deuce".

I have been wishing for a long time that Monogram would sell just these sets of tires/wheels, I have a few projects that need these.

It's more than just scuba gear for me. It just builds into such a cool traditional rod. This one is wearing no paint on the body. The bare plastic was just rubbed out to a high shine. It just "does" it for me.

pics057vi-vi.jpg

pics058vi-vi.jpg

pics051vi-vi.jpg

pics054vi-vi.jpg

Now hopefully someone reproduces the "Blue Beetle" decals!

Just to clear things up for anyone that comes across this thread again. This IS an original issue Blue Beetle that I built a number of years ago. I simply polished the bare plastic out rather than paint the body because I liked the color so much; and wanted to stay more true to the kit. While not being 100% faithful to the box art; I could not get past the parts that were painted red in the artwork..........it just goes against anything tasteful in my mind. Other than picking out some minor details (like the carbs, firewall, steering wheel, etc.) with some brush detailing, the only thing else I did was to swap out the front wheels and taller kit white wall tires for the front mag wheels/tires from the Monogram Little Coffin.......a sister kit. The decals in my original kit were no longer useable; so I had Greg Holland (previously mentioned here) make new ones based on my originals (if I recall correctly.....it has been around 7 years)...............and they went on flawlessly! Ed

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2014 at 10:38 AM, VW93 said:

The re issue has the scuba gear and board molded in blue while my original has them molded in an off white cream color. The tooling for the re issue has the top,interior and bench on it along with the scuba gear and board. In the original the top and interior were a bright white. Wondering if they had a separate tool for the scuba/board parts back then?

Looking at pics of the old (white) parts and the new 2014 reissue (blue) you can see where old parts (tonneau cover, speargun, whitewall inserts) were later replaced by the bed stakes and bench seat, and how the original inserts(?) must've been located or the gates re-opened to allow the SCUBA gear and surfboard to be molded again. The tonneau cover was a separate part in my 2014 reissue, so not sure how that particular part was handled,

941511d5-453f-48cd-9775-a6c9166fe677.jpg

8c741bbb-6c3d-45d0-bf3b-4f257ddfd16f.jpg

Below, in white, are the all-new parts (re?)created for the 2014 reissue:

WP_20171206_047.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 5 months later...