Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help / opinions on how to mount model panels to display base

Hello everyone! I need help ASAP. I just finished this 1:12 Lotus F1, (a commission build), and I am going to debut it at NNL East. I need help or opinions on how to mount these body panels to a display base that is being made for it. I am going to leave the body panels pretty much as you see them but would like to be able to install them on the car as needed. The car will be removed from the base for transport to shows but I would like the panels to stay put during transport.

I am thinking something like Blu-Tack. Any and all help is appreciated!!!

DSC00623-vi.jpg

Perhaps some small pieces of thin steel sheet attached to the undersides of the parts (and blended in so as to be unnoticeable) and pedestals with small magnets on their tops.

You could even do double duty by having tiny magnets hidden strategically on the car to hold the panels securely when the model was displayed with the body panels in place.

Double sided 3M tape.

Thanks Chip. Any idea how sticky that tape is? Should I be worried about it pulling paint off the parts?

Perhaps some small pieces of thin steel sheet attached to the undersides of the parts (and blended in so as to be unnoticeable) and pedestals with small magnets on their tops.

You could even do double duty by having tiny magnets hidden strategically on the car to hold the panels securely when the model was displayed with the body panels in place.

Danno, that is agreat idea but I think I am beyond the point of adding steel to the parts. Maybe I could add the magnets directly to the panels. I believe the magnets are fairly small. The base is being made by a friend and will be finished and polyurethaned. I could add small magnets to it as well. Might look nicer if I counter-sink them.

Blu-Tack was my quick solution but I am not sure how it would react with the paint, (Tamiya), and the base.

I have no answer to your question but I would like to say that looks like a beautiful model.

Thank you Cobraman! I have a fully documented WIP that I may post here. I will take some "beauty shots" after NNL East. It has some flaws but it is my most researched and detailed build to date.

I'd be concerned double sided tape would be too sticky. Sticky Dots (AKA Sticki Dots) are what you want.

They are like the clear rubbery stuff they use to stick free CDs to magazine covers and should be available from your local office supply store.

I'd be concerned double sided tape would be too sticky. Sticky Dots (AKA Sticki Dots) are what you want.

They are like the clear rubbery stuff they use to stick free CDs to magazine covers and should be available from your local office supply store.

Thanks zenrat, another neat idea I would not have thought of.